jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

when a hub isnt a hub

1. raphanius profile image60
    raphaniusposted 8 years ago

i was all prepared to list my top 5 fave poems in answer to a hub request today. Until i realised something. if i list my top 5 fave poems i get either 1. a very short hub thats just a list of five ttiles...hmmm not very impressive or 2. content thats still in copyright...my favourite poet only died in 2004. or 3. plagarized content if i cut and paste poems i love to make a full length hub. is there a way to get the message out that this kind of hub request isn't suitable and isn't conducive to original content and quality hubs.

2. amy jane profile image85
    amy janeposted 8 years ago

I think there would be a way to write about your favorite poets without simply listing the poems. You could use a few lines of each poem, talk about the poet and their life or history, why they are your favorites...
    There are some really well done hubs out there on poets - Stephhicks68 hub on Elizabeth Barret Browning is a good example.  Pretty sure I spelled that wrong smile

3. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

It would only be plagiarism if you didn't give the credit to the poet. But you probably would get a duplicate content penalty. I think Amy Jane's advice is the best way to go.

4. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

If you wrote enough content about each poem you cut and pasted - why you like it, what it brings to mind, a bio of the author, etc. -  and use some appropriate images, then perhaps a duplicate penalty would not occur.

Best regards!

5. Hovalis profile image87
    Hovalisposted 8 years ago

To add to Patty's suggestion, you could also check Youtube about Google video and see if anyone has recited the poems at all. If they have then set up a couple of video capsules to go with the rest of the content, that way you may be able to feature a some of the poems and still not be plagiarising or putting in duplicate content.

6. Patty Inglish, MS profile image90
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 8 years ago

That's a really good idea as well!-- I've found lots of poetry recital on YouTube to use in Hubs..

7. raphanius profile image60
    raphaniusposted 8 years ago

thanks for all your tips. i never thought people would do recitals on youtube! i'm off to do some research.