jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Category Question

1. Whitney05 profile image63
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I'm sorry that I have so many questions about the category placements.

How is "Health Restrictions" an ethic or tradition in the food category? Would it be better fit with the Health category that is already there? Like change "Health Restrictions" to "Food Restrictions" and put in the Health → Nutrition subcategory?

Should "Ethic" be "Ethnic"?

Current Categories:
    * Food → Ethics & Traditions → Health Restrictions → Gluten Free Recipes
    * Health → Nutrition → Lactose Free

Suggestion:
    Health → Nutrition → Food Restrictions → Lactose Free
    Health → Nutrition → Food Restrictions → Gluten Free
    Health → Nutrition → Food Restrictions → Wheat Free
    Health → Nutrition → Food Restrictions → Soy Free

1. larryfreeman profile image86
      larryfreemanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hi Whitney,

I really appreciate your questions about categories.  smile   I know that the categories are not perfect so any thoughtful inquiry is welcome.

I agree that the Ethics & Traditions is not the proper title for this category.  I've changed it to "Dietary Restrictions".

I think that Health Restrictions should still be in this category because the focus here is on the food that can be eaten.  In Health, the focus would be on the health problem faced.

-Larry

2. Whitney05 profile image63

Thanks Larry.

Question though. Is there a need for both Dietary Restrictions and Health Restrictions in the same category. Wouldn't they be near-about the same thing?

I'm also curious how "Ethics of Meat Eating & Vegetarianism" is considered a dietary restriction. Wouldn't that just go under vegetarian diet?

Hi Whitney,

Thanks for your question.  In my view, food is about recipes and details on diets.  For examples, a discussion about vegetarian recipes or news about which foods might secretly contain meat byproducts would, in my view, fit into "diet restrictions".

The focus in these cases is on food and not on health. 

It is always tough to name categories correctly.  In my view, "dietary restrictions" include cultural restrictions, health restrictions, and individual restrictions.

I agree with you that this distinction is not as distinct as many of our other categories but at this point, I don't see a better way.

I agree with you about the Ethics of Meat Eating & Vegetarianism.  I've moved it under Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes.

Cheers,

-Larry

3. Whitney05 profile image63

It does make since if cultural restrictions are listed with dietary. I didn't know that you had included them all under that category. I still have trouble finding the list except when actually making a hub.

But, how exactly is soy free, gluten free, wheat free, etc. a diet restriction that is food related? Wouldn't these concerns be more of a health concern. There are many health concerns that call for a soy free diet or a wheat free, and there are actually diseases where people can't eat gluten products. Food allergies call for *** free diets as well. These, to me, are health concerns, not necessarily food concerns. They are food related because of a health condition.

To me, it just make sense to have diets that are caused by a health problem, should be in the health section, not necessarily food. Currently, It's Gluten-Free Recipes, but what about a gluten free diet caused by a health problem?

Would we put soy free diets, under food>health restrictions>soy free recipes (even though there isn't a soy free recipe category)?

Would gluten-free foods go under recipes even though it's not a recipe for a food but just a food in general?

*shrugs*

Hi Whitney05,

You raise a good point about soy free, gluten free, wheat free, etc.  I'll try to explain the current categories.

It seems to me that there are two approaches to these topics:

1) What is the nature of the allergy and the health issues related.

2) What foods can I eat and what foods should I avoid.

#1 seems to me to fit in the health topic as you point out but #2 seems to me to fit in the food category.

That's the justification for the current set up.

-Larry

working