jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Grammar Police Arrests

1. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 6 years ago

Hello HP,

I published a Hub yesterday on Grammar Police. One of the comments suggested a Feature for when creating Hubs. So, I’m posting it here for your info. Thanks.

“Would it be a good idea to insert next to the spelling capsule a grammar capsule? I think it would also upgrade the quality of hubs and help people straightaway.”  From:  Hello Hello

In response to the Hub – Writing Online – Grammar Police Arrests
    <snipped link>

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 6 years ago

TOS police

3. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 6 years ago

It drives me crazy to see typos and incorrect grammar! In the forums, mistakes are irrelevant, in published articles there will always be some and it's usually not that big of a deal. They don't bother me when it's obvious that English isn't the writer's first language. I would love to work as a proofreader.

However, I notice that I can NEVER read a book anymore, ever, without finding mistakes. Don't books go through several rounds of editing before being published? How are our children supposed to learn proper English when it's become so rare?

Do and Due are the ones I see mixed up in public places frequently now. Signs at stores bother me especially - how will ESL learners and kids ever know what's right if they see what's wrong used all the time?

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Writing is in flux right now.  Electronic forms and even relatively inexpensive publication machinery have made producing written "work" so easy that it no longer requires competence with basic grammar, much less mastery.

I figure grammar will contort for a while in the throws of everyone screaming stupidly into the sea of noise, and then, somehow, it will have morphed enough and quality writing will find a way to rise like cream to the top of the milk pail as it usually does.  People are not going to go on reading the crap that is out there for long.  (At least I hope not, or that movie Idiocracy really will come true.)

As for a grammar checker... those things are so unreliable.  MS Word's version is wrong as often as it is right, and if you don't know what your are looking for (if you can't diagram a sentence) it will create as many problems as it solves.

1. sunforged profile image69
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I thought it already had.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
          Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's getting closer and closer every day.  I went to Lowes the other day and by the time finished leaving, I was certain of it.  I was tempted to write it up as a hub just to make my case. I still might.

2. Daniel Carter profile image90
      Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Mee to!

4. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 6 years ago

The National Weather Service site has a section for educating children; I tried to use it for my son while he was homeschooling. It was so full of mistakes and incomprehensible sentences that we had to stop using the site very soon after starting. I edited a few pages, sent the corrections to them and asked for a job proofing their site. They used some of my edits but never responded. It was meant as an educational site for children!!!

5. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

I would love a grammar or spell checker. I can see mistakes ..way after I hit publish...
    I dont care about others mistakes, as I make plenty of my own.

If anyone sees mistakes in my stuff, feel free to let me know!

1. Haunty profile image84
      Hauntyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think talent matters much more than spelling. Your 'stuff' is sheer beauty, Justine, along with all the mistakes. Yes, writing is only as good as the reader. But for there to be a good reader there has to be a good writer as well. smile