jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

1. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

With all the copying I'm hearing of lately, I thought it would be a good idea to post the copyright info at the bottom of my hubs - do I just add it or do I have to get an account somewhere first?  I can't remember who already has copyrights or how I saw to get them.

1. AEvans profile image74
      AEvansposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You post it in the corner and also go to www.myfreecopyright.com and list all of your work there, it is very self-explanatory. I also note it on my profile that all of my work good or bad is protected. I can't guarantee the thieves won't steal it because I have filed plenty of DMCA complaints in the past but I do know I have legal leverage to stand on when it is protected. smile

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
        The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So you have to register each hub?

Guess I should get started now before I accumulate too many of them.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

At the bottom of every page it already reads "Copyright © 2010 Hubpages Inc. and respective owners. All rights reserved."

Legally, this is an appropriate copyright statement and you don't actually have to do anything more. 

You can register wherever you want or add more statements, but doing all that does not confer any more legality or give you more leverage. 

If you don't understand how copyright works, go educate yourself, http://copyright.gov/

3. 61
    Siew Chengposted 6 years ago

The worst is that those people copy and then spin your articles.  I have a few incidents like this.  Technically speaking, they did not violate copyrights, since they change practically half the words used.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That is not true. They can still be held liable.

Plagiarism is more than just the exact copy, it's also how it is presented and stated.

2. Faybe Bay profile image84
      Faybe Bayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Siew Cheng, you might want to have a look at this. I don't know which of these came first but one of your hubs is for sale on docstoc.

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/16955769/Un … egression/

You may want to check your other hubs too, unless of course you are the one selling on docstoc.

4. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

Your work is copyrighted the moment you put it down in a recorded form (paper, hubpages, whatever).  You don't even have to have the copyright symbol on it.  However, a registered copyright (through the government) gives you certain rights to sue for extra damages and things like that. (If you put a copyright symbol on a manuscript that you submit to a brick and mortar publishing house, they will know you are a rookie.)

Mailing a copy of your work to yourself in an envelope that you don't open or other forms of date/time stamping, only serve to give evidence that you published it on a specific date. (Relache, is that essentially what your site is or are they actually submitting for legal copyrights on your behalf? It looks like the former to me, but I may be missing something).  Date/time stamping does not prove that you wrote it, it only records  when you claim to have written it.  I'm not saying there is no value in that, but it's not "copyright" protection in any deeply powerful way, particularly since, HubPages is also a "time stamped" record of publication.

The question becomes, do you want to take the word thief to court?  Is it worth it?  If you think you have something that is going to make someone else enough money to make a lawsuit worth pursuing, then get it copyrighted properly.