jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

What's a Moz Rank?

1. 0
    JeanMeriamposted 6 years ago

One of my pages has a MOZ rank of 4 according to website grader. Unfortunately I don't know what a MOZ rank is, so I don't know what to think of that.

2. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

1. 0
      JeanMeriamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep. Doing that. Read everything on the first three pages of google and still can't figure out the point of it. Does not correlate with google PR at all. Oh well not a big deal.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

It is very likely that the option to view PageRank will be removed from the Google toolbar some time in the future, a couple of systems have already emerged as contenders to replace it, one is mozrank and the other is AC rank. I prefer AC which has been developed by Majestic SEO who offer backlink analysis tools that are light years ahead of anything SEOmoz has to offer.

1. 0

Interesting. This page I looked at did not even rank in the google PageRank so I was really surprised at the Moz rank. Funny everyone is worried about google PageRank if it's on its way out anyway.

4. randfish profile image61
    randfishposted 6 years ago

Hey Jean - I work over at SEOmoz, so I figured I'd give you a heads up on mozRank and how it functions.

Google calculates PageRank using an algorithm that's well published and well known. At SEOmoz, we use a similar algorithm (not the original one from 1998 exactly, but one we think is likely close to what they're doing today). We process our ~50 billion page index and run this calculation to provide an estimate of a page's raw importance on the link graph.

Google's toolbar PageRank updates once every 2-9 months, but we find that just after it's been refreshed (when the data is generally best and there's relatively few "0"s on newer pages), mozRank is off of TBPR by around 0.45. If we were perfectly correlated, we'd expect to be off about 0.25 (since we show up to two decimal places vs. just a single digit).

It's certainly not a perfect substitute, but it is fresher and more frequently updated (at least once per month) and provides a sense for how roughly important a page is on the web. Hope that helps!

p.s. For more detail and application, this blog post is likely best - http://www.seomoz.org/blog/mozrank-and- … driven-seo

1. 0

Thank you. That does help a lot. If it's more up to date, I can definitely see why it is used by so many programs I've seen.