jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Lead Ins

1. AlanSwenson profile image82
    AlanSwensonposted 6 years ago

I have something that can help you get more traffic from google but no one ever mentions it on hubpages.  It is something I learned from journalism in high-school.  Inverted pyramid style.  Make your first sentence your BEST and most interesting sentence.  Then when people see you in the search results even if you are #5, if you have a super interesting lead in they will be more likely to click your page instead of 1-4.  Also make sure to include the keyword you are going for in the lead in so that google focuses on that sentence.  please feel free to disagree or elaborate.

1. Chaotic Chica profile image83
      Chaotic Chicaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Very good point!  I had forgotten about that method! Thank you for sharing.

2. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I often write a thesis for the summary.  I am pretty sure that this is what shows up on Google when someone does a search.  I know it is what shows up when someone links to it.

3. sunforged profile image64
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Tis good advice, remember you can change your summary in edit mode, so your intro paragraph and what shows up in search results can be different

1. AlanSwenson profile image82
      AlanSwensonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

but doesn't google find the search term in your hub and focus on it in the little summary?  So like if your search term is half way down your hub that what google will focus around?

1. sunforged profile image64
        sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

for the most part google uses the meta-summary, which is automatically created on hubs by your intro paragraph, but can be created via "custom summary" in edit mode

but yes, google does show the excerpt that shows the search term, in most cases if your writing is planned and organized right, you should know what those terms are and have them in your meta/custom description

working