jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (18 posts)

Who here is unemployed? How long?

1. profile image0
    WildIrisposted 7 years ago

Besides hanging out here on HubPages trying to scratch out a living, do you think the job market will improve and that you will be returning to the workforce in the near future?

2. Falsor Wing profile image84
    Falsor Wingposted 7 years ago

I've been trying to enter the workforce for three months. I've had 2 interviews in 3 months after hundreds of applications. no I don't think a job is in my near future.

1. profile image0
      WildIrisposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The application gig is depressing, or at least depressing to me.  It feels so anonymous.  All those applications get filtered though software that looks for KEYWORDS.

I wish you luck, and I hope you have unemployment to help you through until a job does arrive.

3. N. Ramius profile image82
    N. Ramiusposted 7 years ago

More or less been unemployed since January of 2009. Been over a year, with some part time retail work thrown in over the holidays.

4. gamergirl profile image61
    gamergirlposted 7 years ago

I got fired Wednesday.

Guess I get to make hubbing my full time "job" while I finish school and draw unemployment.  Heh.

1. profile image0

Ouch! Sorry to hear you got fired.

5. marcel285 profile image82
    marcel285posted 7 years ago

I have a job..But have been laid off for 3-4 weeks..Because i do seasonal work, fruit, and there i just no work for the next 3-4 weeks.. I'm pretty bummed about it, as i have to ask my parents for money! But, on the bright side, at least i have more time to write and focus on things tht need focus

6. west40 profile image61
    west40posted 7 years ago

I am self-employed - we had a very slow couple of months and were starting to get very worried - how do we pay our bills, can we buy groceries this week.  Now, however, the business has picked up a lot and although we are in catch up mode with the bills, things are looking better.

7. FranyaBlue profile image78
    FranyaBlueposted 7 years ago

I left my last job in Jan to go back to my studies. My uni happens to be in a one horse town so no jobs here even in good times!

8. Rafini profile image87
    Rafiniposted 7 years ago

I've been unemployed since October, had 5-6 interviews, no bites.  Still fighting to get unemployment.

1. profile image0
      woolman60posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was layed off  one year ago today, after 30 years.

1. Rafini profile image87
        Rafiniposted 7 years ago in reply to this

insane...sorry to hear that....did you work in the auto industry?

1. profile image0
          woolman60posted 7 years ago in reply to this

I was a Director of Nutrition, the company was sold to a much larger nursing care facility, and I was told I was no longer needed, end  of career.

that sucks.

2. profile image0

Fighting to get unemployment?  I thought if  are not self-employed and your employer paid unemployment insurance then you are entitled to unemployment.

nope.  you have to leave for a valid reason in order to get it.  the reason stated for my denial is: did not leave for reasons attributable to employer.  What a load of BS!!!  nope, I hired an attorney and filed an appeal - an administrative law judge will determine whether or not  I'm eligible. (hearing is set for later this month)

9. figment profile image76
    figmentposted 7 years ago

I'm unemployed, but I get SSDI. I'm still trying to learn some smart ways to make money from home.  Hubpages is a perfect place to start if you want to get into freelance writing.

10. SydneyMichelle profile image61
    SydneyMichelleposted 7 years ago

I haven't worked in almost two months. sad

working