jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

u tube videos

1. StevieDow profile image61
    StevieDowposted 6 years ago

I have noticed a number of hubs with videos. Are we allowed to just use any video on the web or are we required to get permission from the OP of the video?

1. 0
      woolman60posted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is from the Hub help list.

Can I use pictures/text from other sites on my Hubs?
      When you sign up for HubPages, you agree to use only content to which you hold the necessary rights. Basically, this means that if you did not create the content yourself (write the text or take the picture), you must have permission to use it from the person or organization that did. There are many hubs about where you can find photos that are free to legally use in your Hubs.

When you set up for your hub and you want to add video, go to the capsule and add video, when you go to use the video, it will let you know what video you can use, and youtube is one of them.

2. StevieDow profile image61
    StevieDowposted 6 years ago

Thanks, we actually have some videos of our fishing trips but I need to get my first mate to edit them and make them post able. I know of several u tube videos I would also like to use. Is there a benefit of drawback to using u tube video's? Should we email the owner and ask permission?
    For photo's I take all my own or use some my crew sends me.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When you put a video on HubPages, you don't copy it - you just embed it.  There's a link back to the original on Youtube.

That's totally unlike photos, where if you put it on HubPages, it loses all connection to the original.

So you're fine, you're not violating any copyright and you may even be doing the OP a favour.  You don't need to ask permission.

3. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

One benefit i see here is that user will stick on hub for some time. One disadvantage is if videos take longer time to load(for dial-up users) then they'll move to something else or will click on some link etc etc.