Why was my thread deleted?!

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (20 posts)
  1. profile image0
    JPPI-Stuartposted 15 years ago

I made a legitimate suggestion in the "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature" forum and now my thread is gone.  Why?

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Instead of asking the general forum, where none of us can delete a thread or give you anymore than a guess, why don't you just ask Maddie Rudd (the moderator)?

1. profile image0
        JPPI-Stuartposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Because the name of this forum is "Need Help? Ask here."  Just doing what I thought I was being told to do, but apparently there are a lot of "unwritten rules" here.

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I did not see your thread - but the common problem threads get deleted is outgoing links posted by newbies. Did you have any?

Based on what I see on your hubs and your forum activity I assume your post was not outright spam, was it?

3. profile image0
    JPPI-Stuartposted 15 years ago

No, it was definitely not spam.  Yes, I added an outbound link, but as an afterthought, which I clearly explained when I added it.  The suggestion was about adding support for Revver videos, and (because I've had people mis-read the site name as R-E-W-E-R instead of R-E-V-V-E-R) I decided to go back and add clarification, and an outbound link to the site to make it easy to go check it out.  I don't own, work at, or speak for Revver.  There was no benefit to me in linking to Revver, other than the very same benefit that would extend to every HubPages user (i.e., the ability to use and earn from Revver-hosted videos if Revver support was added).

Other threads in the forums clearly indicate that Hubs should not be used for one-line introductions to other sites but that this sort of thing is OK in the forums.  Mine was a thoughtful, logically-presented introduction to the idea of supporting Revver videos, and the outbound link was clearly identified as being an edit for clarification.

Deleting my message just because I'm new and had an outbound link in my message -- with no regard to the merit of the message itself -- is asinine at best.  If that's really the case, you can expect my rapid departure from the site because I'm not going to waste my time and effort trying to appease childish or illogical behavior.

4. jimmythejock profile image85
    jimmythejockposted 15 years ago

Would you by any chance be talking about a site called reVver,considering that you mention it quite a few times in your post.....JIMMY

1. profile image0

Obviously -- and your point?  Am I supposed to say "that site" and "the referenced site" and "the site in question" rather than using their name?

sad

1. jimmythejock profile image85
        jimmythejockposted 15 years agoin reply to this

My point is that naming the site as often as you have in your post is a well used spammers ploy, to get the name to stick in the readers mind.....jimmy

1. profile image0

If you're looking for spam everywhere, you'll surely find it everywhere -- whether it exists everywhere or not.

Oops, I must be spamming "everywhere" because I mentioned it multiple times.

It's called basic English.  I've been writing for many years, and have a pretty good command of it.  My use of the company/site name rather than stilted work-arounds is just good writing.

If you doubt my claimed experience that people will mis-read the site name, do a search on Google Groups for "Veoh Networks: A Strong Rival For Youtube?" -- you'll find a message thread dating back to early 2007 where this exact mistake was made.

There, happy now?  I didn't use the site/company name once in this message.

Good grief...  mad

2. profile image0

Given that I reached Prodigy level after my third or fourth Hub, and I've had positive comments on my Hubs, implying I'm a spammer is pretty offensive, don't you think?  The forum rules say " personal attacks... will be dealt with swiftly."  Yeah, we'll see.  A legit suggestion gets canned but something tells me that treating me like a spammer will be left in place.

Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome...

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL I'm not the staff, I'm a user like you, just hanging out here for a bit longer smile

Of course this is up to you to take it personally and leave - but I'm pretty much sure this was a mistake - if it really was as you describe it. Shoot an email to team@hubpages.com and have it sorted out.

1. profile image0

It's not a matter of taking it personally.  I've been interacting in computer-based message forums since the early 1980s, maybe the late 70s.  I have a thick skin -- but a low tolerance for stupidity.   And I do realize you're another user and not staff, so my comment about childish or illogical behavior was not directed at you.  Sorry if it came across that way.

6. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I think I have enough online experience not to take this comment personally, too smile
    I just think you need to allow for other than stupidity reason for this mistake - of course if it was a mistake - a lack of resources. Hubpages did not have a dedicated moderator until just a couple of weeks ago, and now she is going through quite a backlog. I can imagine her current workload can cause some mistakes. We are all human, you know smile Again, I think the best course of action is to sort this out by email.

1. djtphn1 profile image75
      djtphn1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha!!!!

7. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Hi Honey!!!!

Where have you been? I missed you smile

8. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

I think it's about time I stepped in here... in fact, looks like I'm overdue, but this thread is just now coming to my attention...

JPPI, your thread was indeed deleted because it was reported by a reputable community member and appeared to be promoting another site, especially in light of the fact that you have very few hubs yourself.  I apologize if this was oversight on my part, but in general, threads entirely dedicated to touting the benefits of some site or other, especially from a new hubber, and especially when not solicited by a relevant request for advice, do appear to be promotional, and are more likely to be treated as such.

We do ask that you establish yourself as part of the community before you start posting links in the forums, as clearly stated in the Forum Rules, and caution seasoned members to be frugal with their links as well.

1. profile image0

Nonsense, pure and simple.  It was a suggestion for HubPages and it was posted in the "Report a Problem or Suggest a New Feature" forum.

I'm out of here.  And I'm sure you'll pat yourself on the back for running off a "spammer."

Pathetic.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

That's very strategic quoting you did there, JPPI.  I'm sorry you let a simple misunderstanding throw you off completely.  If you'd read the forum rules, you'd see we advise new hubbers to establish themselves in the community before posting links to avoid this very sort of situation.

If you'd like to cancel your account, send an email with "Cancel my HubPages Account" in the subject line to team@hubpages.com.

1. profile image0

Nice implication that I didn't read the rules, but it's a false implication, because I did read them.  The rules specifically talk about links to, and I quote, "any site that you have a vested interest in promoting, especially using affiliate links."  Neither were the case -- no vested interest and not an affiliate link.  The rules also use the word "recommend" regarding new users establishing a presence on the site before posting links -- not "require."  (I'll admit my mistake in thinking that indications given by the site regarding the value of my contribution here, such as getting into the 90s for my author HubScore with a small handful of Hubs and receiving multiple positive comments on my Hubs, could be considered establishing a presence.)

I prefer to remove all my links on other sites that point to my Hubs before I wipe out my content here, to avoid broken links -- a habit built over a decade of developing Web pages and Web-based applications.  Once I'm done with that, yes, the next step will be to cancel my account.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
        Maddie Ruudposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is a recommendation, yes, to "be on the safe side," as the rules state.  If you choose not to follow our "recommendations," I would hope you would exercise some sort of patience should your post be misconstrued.

I'm sorry you feel so defensive as to have to leave the community over a misunderstanding.  Moderation really is nothing personal.  If you have anything further to add to this conversation, please email me privately.  The thread is now closed.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)