jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Absolutely Stuck!!!

1. 0
    sandieganlizposted 6 years ago

I must say I enjoy this website. It is truly nice to write in the form of articles. I feel as if I matter, like a world of both readers and writers come together and enjoy the opportunity to read what I write, as well as what others write. It is nice!

I must admit I am a busy mama. Two babies (one infant, one toddler) take up a lot of my attention, time, sleep, and patience. It can be quite exhausting, but it is overall enjoyable. I feel I was meant to experience this in life. The only way to prevent it is through birth control.

While handling my personal business, I also stretch myself out to the environment around me. Should I work? It would help pay bills and contribute to a higher standard of living. But, how would I do it when I have two babies and my time is limited? And, what do I want to do?

Well, my biggest passion next to my spirituality is writing...although, dancing is right next to that. Quite close! No, writing is my number one passionate human capability. I love to write! I experience great expression through my writing. I love it!

However, at this time, I am absolutely stuck on how to write and generate money... a.k.a. making it my career. I know it is so competitive to write. I mean, I can write a book...and, I know there are millions (if not billions around the world) whom still sit and read one, but, will mine succeed? And, what to write about? There are many topics I am passionate about, but I scramble with words.
    I guess, really, the only way to succeed at writing a literary piece of art is to do it nearly everyday for a set amount of time, and concentrate...and, edit. Edit, edit, edit, that is the most important tool for success in writing!

What am I waiting for? Am I totally a procrastinator that I fail to produce results with my writing skills? Why is it so tough for me? I get suggestion after suggestion on what to do with writer's block; yet, I continue to put my writing last. That is it! I fail to put my writing first...or, at least in a good part of my everyday list.

This website is phenomenal because it encourages me to write...and, I can earn money, though I do not know how to do so, and Amazon has to approve my account, and ebay is picky, etc. And, besides that, I don't want to write this and that about specific products available online. I want to write about more personal information--stuff that really matters, like spirituality, the earth's atmosphere, cultivated landscapes, animal relations, human interaction...things one can't really find the solution towards with such on ebay or amazon; unless he or she buys a book about it....

So, here I sit and type...trying to figure out how I am going to produce. I know I am a busy mama and I must come up with time to commit. But, what do I really want to write about, and who will really read it? Gotta check back.

2. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Hey Sandie, smile

You want to write in a personal way, be a storyteller; and Hubpages is all about advice, how-tos, products etc. It seems as if the two were not compatible. But I think you can fulfill your desire for writing and make money at the same time.

Great writing is but two things: personal and practical. A lot of writers have put it a lot of different ways, but I think it all comes down to being yourself, having your own voice and delivering useful, practical, handy information. Most writers want to get a point across and they want to do it their way.

I'm sure you've seen the learning center. It does have great info on what the importance of good SEO is. Simple stuff. Just needs to be done for traffic.

As for books, yes, there still are readers.

3. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Hi Sandy! I reckon you are in the right place myself. I like your style and think you have a future here. Just write whatever you like. I do. smile
    I use the pre-publish score to improve my hubs and publish them a bit before I turn the world lose on em! lol

4. Falsor Wing profile image86
    Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago

Sandy, I have a theory about this writers block. You realize how difficult pursuing the dream of completing and marketing a piece of art that you really put your heart and soul into. It will be hard, time consuming and you might ultimately fail after all the blood sweat and tears. You might be unsure as to weather or not you want to commit.

this may or may not be relevant. you should go take a walk or a hot bath.

1. 0
      sandieganlizposted 6 years ago in reply to this

great advice!!

5. bgpappa profile image86
    bgpappaposted 6 years ago

Hard to make enough money here to live off at first unless you can do it full time.  I feel ya there.

by the way, your post, reworked a little, would make a good hub.  Write what you know, feel, think at any given moment.  Write about being stuck, many others would be interested in that as well.

Good luck.

1. 0

thanks, big pappa.

6. Lisa HW profile image81
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I think you shouldn't ask "who'll read it".  Instead, just aim to write something (anything) worthy of being read.  There's a subtle difference.  You probably first have to get into the habit of thinking in terms of anything being something to write about.

It probably doesn't help that you have the babies.  You're probably tired.  Nothing much happens when someone is tired.  Not because of babies at this stage in my life, but I'm often pretty much exhausted; so I need to write when I have the burst of energy.  You could try going to some news site, or else go to some writing site (any one), and browse around for stories/articles until you run into something that irks you (aka "inspires" you).  A lot of my Hubs are the result of being irked at one thing or another.

7. DanPowers profile image76
    DanPowersposted 6 years ago

It depends on what you want out of your writing. There's not much money in writing novels, poems and stuff. I know a successful writer - he has got to the filmscript stage. And yet he still needs a day job.

It is possible to make decent money on hubpages and stuff, but the writing takes second place to marketing, keyword research and other stuff.

1. 0

good advice and insight

8. 0
    sandieganlizposted 6 years ago

Thanks, everybody. I'm sure we're all starving writers whom want to share a story or insight...or both. GL to everyone!!!