jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (20 posts)

paper vs computer

1. Falsor Wing profile image86
    Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago

I find I brainstorm more effectively with a pen and paper than on the computer does this happen to anyone else? Does it make sense to anyone?

1. 0
      mtsi1098posted 6 years ago in reply to this

this happens to me mostly in the hours that I sleep and wake up with an idea...otherwise it is computer when I am awake

2. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I take my initial notes on paper, I find it easier to gather my thoughts that way. That way I also put it in my own words and lessen the risk that I will accidentally plagiarize.

3. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You write???
      As in......longhand?
      how last century! I've totally forgotten how to. Can you teach me?

4. 0
      Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I don't.
      Not during brainstorming.
      But I always prefer a hard copy of anything over a virtual copy.
      I think it's sad that newspapers are going under.  Accountability goes out the window with all the new technology cyber-action.

5. 0
      LegendaryHeroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Computer - much easier to keep track of notes and it's readable to others.

2. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

makes sense to me, I love to get real letters in the mail too.  smile

3. FranyaBlue profile image79
    FranyaBlueposted 6 years ago

I do like paper and pen but I find that my hand can't keep up with my thoughts and then my writing is totally unreadable.

4. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

It depends what I'm doing.  If it's writing an article, I stick with the computer.  It's way easier to cut and paste than using an eraser all the time. 

If it's more graphic, or I'm designing something, then a quick sketch with pencil and paper is the way to go.  Or if I need to make a quick note that I can take with me somewhere.

It also depends what software you have at hand, and whether that enhances or detracts from the creative process.

Besides, I like to save paper as much as I can.  I don't print anything unless I really need to take a copy with me.

5. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

plus, I hate typing

6. Shadesbreath profile image90
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

It happens a lot.  I personally am happier on the keyboard but many of my writing friends and associates insist that writing by hand focuses them, slows them to the right pace, and is essential to their writing process.

Whatever works is the way to go.

7. girly_girl09 profile image80
    girly_girl09posted 6 years ago

I am totally addicted to Excel; use it for everything -including notes. big_smile Once you start realizing its potential, there is no going back! Pen and paper can't sort your ideas in one click. wink

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd love to see a hub on how you organize using Excel smile

8. lender3212000 profile image86
    lender3212000posted 6 years ago

I'm much better at organizing my thoughts on the computer. My handwriting isn't very good either...

9. William R. Wilson profile image59
    William R. Wilsonposted 6 years ago

I can't write by hand, only scribble notes.  My brain works to fast for the pen to keep up. 

I prefer to write in notepad.  Hubpages makes me mad because I can't write out the html and just paste it in like I can with my wordpress blog. 

I too use Excel for organizing my thought sometimes.  I also like to use mindmaps although I usually don't have the patience. 

Mostly what I do is write a sort of outline:

1. Main idea
    a. smaller idea
    b. second smaller idea

blah blah blah. 

I've tried typing on an old fashioned manual typewriter.  I found it fascinating how my brain had to work in a totally different way with no cut and paste and no backspace. 

More to the point of the original post - Falsor, if you organize well by pen and paper you might try mind mapping.

1. 0
      LegendaryHeroposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How does one use Excel for organizing thoughts?

2. Falsor Wing profile image86
      Falsor Wingposted 6 years ago in reply to this

MIND MAPPING IS THE SHIT! freeplane ftw. I'm actually working on a hub(s) about mindmapping software, why doesn't everyone have it?

10. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago

You mean I can't pick a stone tablet? yikes

Kidding aside, I choose neither. I usually brainstorm in my head and then I go directly to the computer to write it.

I do also use excel to keep track of topics that I may use for hubbing, but thinking of the actual content for that hub is still all in my head.

Sometimes, very rarely, I'll actually jot down ideas and chances are it'd be on paper, though if I'm lazy notepad would be my next choice.

11. lilly_dens profile image61
    lilly_densposted 6 years ago

computer is much easier than paper since all you have to do is type it right away while paper sort of takes time BUT i prefer to use paper than computer since it gives me more ideas on what to write. Once i start writing on paper and have lots of ideas at the end of it i found out that i've already written quite enough

12. Rafini profile image79
    Rafiniposted 6 years ago

paper when I'm on the go, computer when I'm home.
    paper if it's temporary, computer if I need it to keep.
    paper for others to see, computer for my eyes only.
    paper for private, computer for virtual exchange.

it all depends on my mood & whatever it is I'm writing. smile