Ever noticed how prevalent # of hubs = # of fans???

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (26 posts)
  1. DJ Funktual profile image76
    DJ Funktualposted 16 years ago

About DJ Funktual
    HubScore:    96
    Published Hubs:    80
    - 77 fans.

I noticed it when I went around hub-world one day.  Any reason for it?

2. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Except for Misha, of course, with his six Hubs and hundreds of fans ....

Jenny

3. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

Cause I'm just a cool guy probably wink
    Sometimes tongue

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, Misha! smile

4. G-Ma Johnson profile image60
    G-Ma Johnsonposted 16 years ago

I don't know  I have 107 fans and have done a87 hubs. DJ...Hi Misha..and yes you are cool  G-Ma yikes) hugs

5. G-Ma Johnson profile image60
    G-Ma Johnsonposted 16 years ago

oops 190 hubs

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

LOL Thanks guys big_smile

Well, if seriously, I think that among other factors the number of fans depends on your visibility, like how often you post on forums.

I think G-Ma being way cooler than myself and having only 7 forum posts is a good example to illustrate the point wink

7. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

I don't think the number of hubs equates to the number of fans at all.  Two months ago, I posted about having hit the 200 fan milestone.  I had 80 hubs at the time. Since then I've published 14 more hubs, and gained 109 more fans.

14 does not equal 109, at least not in my math reality. 

I think people who answer questions helpfully in the forums and who comment on people's hubs have more fans than the people who don't, regardless of how many Hubs they've made.

1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
      Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think the kind of fans you have depends on the kind of content you provide.

You can have a ton of fans because you post a lot on the forums, but are these fans the kind who are clicking your ads or passing your links around?

Or, you can be like relache, who only seems to publish quality content, and have a lot more fans than hubs.

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Thanks relache, my queen of unbridled advice.  Stacie too.   I learn so much from you all.

Hmmmm  I really thought the video contests (admittedly fun trivia fluff - a break for the reading eyes) would attract more attention to the Hubs I care about - my lists that I slaved over spanning from Howlin' Wolf  to Black Crowes and released when I first arrived.   

It works but like Stacie seems to be suggesting.  A person who puts something everyday just ends up overflowing your inbox (wink wink) and you don't want to necessarily want to read the same person everyday. 

If relache's hubs are rare and well done she can impact with her words more deeply and when you see her in the inbox you get that much more excited.  Lots of good stuff to ponder as usual friends.

I like doing the videos but it is a burden to keep up with. 

I have been placed in the Top 5 commenters I think 2 out of 3 reports so far.  That is also from reacting to people on my own hub.

My new question is..is it tacky to comment on your own hubs?
        I love a good forum style convo on my hubs.  curious as 2 what u think?

Marisa thankx 4 your wisdom in this regard.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you're responding to a comment someone else has made, then it's fine and I think we all do that.

But as I said, your main focus shouldn't be on us fellow Hubbers.  You don't earn revenue on page views, you earn revenues from Adsense, Amazon and eBay.  You want readers who come to your Hub looking for information or wanting a product, not just reading your Hub because you're part of the family. 

I'm far from being an expert but I'd suggest you do some research on SEO and internet marketing to work out how to get your Hubs noticed outside our community.

2. relache profile image72
          relacheposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I know what you mean.  I like my movie preview Hub, but the updating can be burdensome. 

The bulk of what I write is with the idea that it's "long-tail."  Not too specifically seasonal, not too broad a focus, appealing to beginners and experienced, on topics which I'm genuinely interested in myself... all of which add up pretty well to content that's "evergreen." 

If I can create Hubs that stay fresh and useful without much upkeep from me, I find they tend to draw traffic more steadily without much effort on my part and are more profitable in the long run.  And that allows me to take off and travel for a few weeks at a time (which I'll be doing at the end of this month) or it just leaves me with more time to create more Hubs.

8. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I think there's more of a correlation between number of fans and length of time on HubPages.  If you're contributing articles regularly, I could see that your fan base might grow roughly in line with your Hubs.  Personally, I'm not contributing as much recently and my number of fans is outpacing my number of Hubs more and more - currently 55 Hubs and 188 fans.

However as Stacie says, while having fans is very flattering, they're not likely to be clicking on your ads, so it's far more important to worry about improving your search engine traffic than increasing your fan club.

9. DJ Funktual profile image76

Marisa & Relache - After your last posts I'm finding that perhaps I have been storming a windmill here.  people have suggested many times that I should get on digg, etc but I often feel like uh more work than this.  Pretending words like "Evergreen" & "Long-Tail" don't exist is not the way to go clearly.

My thesis on why my stuff was so evergreen was that billions of people are DLing songs off the internet but can't remember want they wants they get to the store.  In comes my 250 Greatest New Wave Songs, Hair Bands, Reggae, etc.  I just figured they'd be useful reference material for DJs and iPod fillers everywhere but you're right...nobody knows you're here except your friends and the community here.

Hmm lots to ponder here.  Chanks

10. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

DJ, I do very, very little in the way of adding my stuff to social bookmarking sites.  That's not how they're supposed to work anyway.  It's supposed to be readers who add them, not the authors. 

And it does work.... my Fairy Wings lens had 1200 visitors in one day from Stumbleupon just a few weeks back.  I have no idea who Stumbled it, but it rocked.  To me, my time is best spent writing the content that makes people react to a Hub that way, not sneaking around some site, trying not to get kicked off for self-promotion.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Nice to hear you say that, relache.  That's how I feel too.  It's good to know I don't HAVE to do it.  Now all I have to do is learn how to write content that's as effective as yours!  smile

DJ, another tactic is to join forums on relevant topics so you can post answers including links to relevant Hubs.  Just be sure you give yourself time to get to know people first, and make sure you participate as a useful member, before you start posting links.

11. Lissie profile image76
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

I agree  Idon't promot my  own stuff on social bookmarking - its against their TOS anyway - sometimes someone will do it for me anyway - but although my traffic goes up it rarely equates to more cash - they are even worse for paying than your fans! I used to think the fans were just an ego boost because classically people who find you within a site don't buy from you - but I think because HP emails the link of your latest masterpiece around you get a) more comments and b) more likely to be emailed onto a 3rd party who may well be a qualified buyer in the marketing jargon!

12. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

I recently hit the 100 fan mark with 18 hubs.  On producing the 19th hub my fans dropped to 99!

I think this is probably due to Maddie and her purge against spammers - unfortunately some of my fans are spammers.  Some people sign up, become the fans of anyone with a highish Hub score then start spamming.

I've also seem my affiliate hubs decline in number - more spammers being purged?

Let me finish by saying I fully support Maddie and her fine work cleaning up HubPages.  We all want real fans not those out for a quick buck!

1. robie2 profile image77
      robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm your fan because I like your offbeat mind, good writing and great sense of humor--just hought I'd mention it smile

13. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

Robie

I would happily join your fan club for that flattery but I am already a member !!

no flattery--just my not so humble opinion smile

DJ Funktualposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Humble opinions are so boring anyway.

Right you are DJ--and there are far too many of them LOL

14. DJ Funktual profile image76

I wanna thank you all for you're help in this matter.  I was really convinced that all my work was coming out at optimum quality.

Now that I have rethought my approach I find I'm spending much less time on TOP 5 Video  lists and more on tweaking the sub-par hubs of the past.

My favorite new hobby is to hit a hub I haven't seen in a while and go "Look at you! You're a frickin mess!  Less see what needs doing.....

Thank You sincerely to

ROBIE2, MISHA, MARISA, WHITNEY, MADDIE, STACIE, RELACHE, JENNY, MARK, DARKSIDE, MRDEEDS, and everyone else who take their time to help the whole place grow!

Your never-humble DJ,
    Jamie

Awwwww  DJ-- I'm  on a big learning curve here myself--old dog new tricks department, dontchaknow.In fact I just downloaded the PDF MIsha recommended  and will be going over my hubs yet again to try and figure out how to get more SE traffic. I thank you for making me--if not hip--at least not totally over the hill with those great contests of yours

<blows kiss>

R2

15. DJ Funktual profile image76

DJ Funktual
    Score:    95
    Fans:    89
    Hubs:    89

I still say there's something to this.  I see it in hubbers all over.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)