jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Seeking wise hubbers

1. samboiam profile image61
    samboiamposted 6 years ago

I am wanting to copyright my poems because I would like to get some of them published. Can anyone tell me how I can get them cpyrighted and how to go about getting them published.

1. Shadesbreath profile image89
      Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Official copyright information is here:  http://www.copyright.gov/

Your work is already copyrighted as soon as you put it on paper.  If you want to get it published, assemble it, and send it in.

If you read poetry, go to the websites of the poetry book publishers or magazine/journal publishers and read their section on "submissions."  Follow the instructions they give EXACTLY regarding how to submit, what to send, etc.  You can also look in publications like Writer's Market for information on publishing houses.  Someone else may know of a better source for poetry in particular.

If you are sending to reputable publishing houses, you have no need fear they will steal your work, and it is fine to send it out while you are working on your U.S. copyrights.  (Or even if you don't bother doing that at all.)

2. Lynda Gary profile image59
    Lynda Garyposted 6 years ago

Great advice!

Also, if you are not yet a published author (traditionally, I mean), you might want to first enter one of a gazillion FREE poetry contests.

It's difficult to find a publisher if you aren't published.  Yeah, I know, I know -- but that's the industry for you.  BUT, if you enter and win or place in a poetry contest, you build the credentials you need for traditional publishing circles.

Writer's Market and Writer's Digest, both, publish a plethora of contests.  Get on a mailing list in your genre, for starters, and keep your eyes open for the perfect contest(s).

And just to reiterate what Shade said:  FOLLOW THE GUIDELINES to the letter whenever you submit anything, including a poetry contest entry.

Good luck!

3. 0
    Lecieposted 6 years ago

if you format all of your poems into a book of poetry, you may also want to get an agent to find the publisher for you. most agents charge around 15% of what you make. mine charges 10%, you can contact them at www.wlwritersagency.com
    everyone else gave you great advice on the copyright so i thought i would give some additional advice which may help. good luck.