jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (7 posts)

What is a widget?

1. Ginny.Toll profile image57
    Ginny.Tollposted 7 years ago

Sorry guys, this might be a silly question but I'm a newbie and haven't a clue what this is.  I tried to find it in help, but no luck.
    Anybody care to share this answer? Thanks to all!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image88
      Rochelle Frankposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Good question. I think it it's a little gadget that links you to some kind of computer functionality ---  but I'm really not sure,. (I answered this so I can follow the answers.)

2. Edweirdo profile image93
      Edweirdoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

In what context are you referring to "widgets"?

On other websites, like blogger blogs, a widget is a capsule that has a specific function and can e dynamically added and updated to your blog - like a widget that advertises Amazon.com items, or a widget that carries an RSS feed, or a widget that houses sharing links to social bookmarking sites like Facebook, twitter, etc.

Here on HubPages we don't use widgets, so I'm not sure what the question is specifically about...

2. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 7 years ago

"add a widget" on the home page?

The widgets on the customizable home page are the different capsules that you can display or hide.
    for example, you can show or hide different forum topics, questions & answers, hub stats etc.

I think there is a tutorial in there...
    There is a button at top right that says "add a widget".

Click it & explore
    smile

(if this is the widget you are referring to that is wink )

1. Edweirdo profile image93
      Edweirdoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Another good example, Jen!

And I believe that the homepage is the only spot on HubPages where we use "widgets"...

1. wyanjen profile image86
        wyanjenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Widgets...

Thingies...

it's all the same to me. lol
        I mean, the word could mean anything really.
        I think this is what the OP is referring to, because it confused me too the first time I saw it.

big_smile

2. Ginny.Toll profile image57
        Ginny.Tollposted 7 years ago in reply to this

thanks all for helping...so I'm gathering that it's a capsule here on hub pages that you can link other sites to?  Correct?  I will try to explore this. Again thanks all for helping me figure this out.
        Does anyone use it?

working