Work Sucks

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (25 posts)
  1. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

Why can't I be a full time hubber?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Would be nice, wouldn't it?

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'm right there with ya--What do you do at work? I'm a CSR for a midwest bank. I hate it hate it hate it but my insurance costs me $27 every two weeks.

It did help me get some good writing projects on finance topics though.

1. stephhicks68 profile image87
        stephhicks68posted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'm right there there too.  I want to write for a living, but have too much other "stuff" on my plate (real work, kids, hubby, bills, etc.) to figure it all out.  *sigh*

3. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Because $1,800 per month is not enough to live on?

Jenny

P.S. I second Darkside - if you figure out how to make money on HubPages, you can set up your own websites and make even more, using those skills.

I make about $1700 a month after taxes...and that is Canadian dollars smile

1. profile image0

Wow. Is that all from Hubpages?

No, that is from my "real" job smile

2. seamus profile image58
        seamusposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Wow, $1800 on HubPages? That sounds like a lot. Most people who've mentioned what they make say they make about $1 per day. I guess those making more don't talk about it?

1. Inspirepub profile image73
          Inspirepubposted 16 years agoin reply to this

There is rumored to be one person earning at that level on Hubpages. It would take about a million visitors a month, give or take, to achieve that - that's visitors in your share of the impressions.

I don't know if you could do it without "sponsoring" a bunch of other Hubbers - you get a share of their impressions when you do that.

Just writing a lot of Hubs won't do it, because I know someone with hundreds of Hubs who hasn't made that much in the whole of their career on HubPages yet.

Then again, the right Hub can make you $50 a month, too. If it gets heaps of traffic and a good click-through rate.

But basically, for most Hubbers, HubPages is a nice way to get a small amount of money. A few dollars a day is a reasonable expectation after a few months of consistent Hubbing.

Jenny

2. darkside profile image62
    darksideposted 16 years ago

Keep doing what you're doing.

But don't have all your eggs in one basket. Diversify. Imagine if for some reason beyond your control (or the site admin's control) the server went down for 24 hours. That could mean a loss of a days revenue.

By all means have HubPages as your number one site, but spread your roots.

3. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

LOL Jenny
    that is exactly what our entire household income for 12 people is right now.  And has been for several months.

4. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Whew, Marye - you obviously don't live in San Francisco!

Jenny

5. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 16 years ago

nope. smile we live in the Dallas area...
    but our house is paid off, and we have 2 acres, raise alot of our food, and don't use heat or a/c unless temperatures are very extreme.

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

I am actively working on applications for grad school to get a MFA in creative writing, but that is still some time off (if I even get in the first time around).  I have something to look forward to, but work is draining me...I haven't even had the brain energy to think about publishing a new hub lately.

7. gamergirl profile image84
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Work is aggravating for me today.  Here's my list of stuff:

Compile a list of site issues reported by customers from a list of 43,000 customer emails
    Transfer specific customer product requests and separate them by appropriate studio representative
    Update previous request logs in Excel to reflect content which has gone live (about 3,000 logged requests)
    Update customers who requested the now-live content as to the change in status
    Reopen about 6,000 customer requests which were improperly answered
    Properly answer said requests
    Catch up on the 100ish current requests waiting to be answered

Shoot me.

8. Stacie Naczelnik profile image68

Well, I have a boss who spends half of her time lecturing us about spreading gossip, and the other half spreading the gossip.

I am advising and supervising a student who complains about her job and "disappears" every time I leave her alone for even thirty seconds.  She also loudly says how "retarded" everything is, and tells other students that every single woman raped in India is also raped again by the police.  She insists it happens to every woman in India.  She also informed me that South America is a very Catholic country.  Yes: country.  Oh boy.  She also uses a lot of profanity very loudly and loves talking about her vagina so the entire office can hear.  I inherited her from another employee who left the job at the beginning of the year.  Ten more weeks.

And, that's just the tip of the iceberg.

9. stephhicks68 profile image87
    stephhicks68posted 16 years ago

Exactly!  I have had 20,000 views on HubPages and made just over $53 so far.   So do the math.  That has taken me 3 months since I joined, but I haven't done a lot of promotion, etc.  I have a little over 100 hubs and 200 fans.  So, I consider it a hobby and fun so far...

1. profile image0

I write for Hubpages for fun and for the great people I meet here. I haven't made a dime here. I do make enough to quit my day job writing for other sites though-- I have about $450/week in regular income from longterm writing gigs, and then I take on extra freelance work too. Right now I'm finishing up two ebooks: one on money-saving recipes and one on the Law of Attraction. I haven't found it hard to make money writing online but I don't know a thing about MLM or any of that stuff--I just write copy for other people who mess with that.

My bank job pays me $12 an hour and I work 20 hours each week, and that is 20 hours too much.I really resent it sometimes.But I need health insurance, and as robie2 has pointed out to me, it gives me a lot of great material for ranting and exposees!

I do make some pocket money at a couple of other "fun" writing sites, but they are not nearly as fun as Hubpages.

10. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

A few hundred $US doesn't go far in US or Europe, but it could be quite a reasonable income for someone living in parts of the Far East. Maybe there's your game plan - build your Internet income to say $500 pcm, then up sticks and relocate in Thailand or mainland China.

1. Lissie profile image74
      Lissieposted 16 years agoin reply to this

It would work for me - though I wouldnt choose China- they have winters! A lot of working nomads do just that - its much easier to make  a living online if you are living in a cheaper country.

11. About-The-Home profile image60
    About-The-Homeposted 16 years ago

I agree work sucks, but I'm being made redundant (or downsized) at the end of June and I think no work (=no money) will suck worse!!!

12. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Gerry, you have a couple of months yet - time to get serious about the whole make-money-online thing!

Jenny

13. About-The-Home profile image60
    About-The-Homeposted 16 years ago

Thanks Jenny, you're an inspiration, but nothing seems to be working for me yet.

14. seriessek profile image59
    seriessekposted 16 years ago

Stacie,
    Believe me I've felt your pain.  I was in banking for 12 years.  All you do all day is listen to peoples problems and have them come to you when something horrible has happened in their lives like someone dies or gets divorced.  There's only so much negativity one person can take in a day!  I finally quit back in Oct.  My hubby got tired of me coming home miserable.  Now I am trying to get my home based biz up and running and I love every minute of it.

I know for now you have to do it for the insurance.  Hang in there girl!  Keep doing what you are doing here and maybe just maybe someday you can hang that stinky bank job up!  Good luck to you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)