jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Plasma LCD or LED LCD?

1. Ms Chievous profile image82
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

Has anyone purchased any of these in the last six months?  Gonna get rid of my bulky TV and move up in the world! smile   Looks like LED LCD  is the way to go but hey are a tad espensive!  Intrested in hearing about the brand names you purchased too!  Thanks!

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a Panasonic Plasma and a Sharp Aquous - they both are very very good, but I'd say the Sharp has the better picture overall.

I'd forget about the plasma though - it's going to be obsolete and as you say the new LED TVs are the future - give it a couple of years and they'll be cheap! Having said that - you can get some amazing deals on the LCD TVs and the quality is still excellent when using HD TV or Blu-Ray...

2. timorous profile image92
    timorousposted 6 years ago

I haven't yet purchased a new TV.  Current budget won't allow it.  I have been keeping up with the tech news, though.

My understanding is that LCD's are improving steadily, while plasmas are holding their own.  The newest crop of LCD's use LED's (light-emitting diodes), which are much more efficient (power-wise) than the flourescent backlighting normally used.

Some of the latest LCD's use a technique called 'local dimming' which uses multiple groups or zones of LED's behind the screen.  This has the advantage of dynamically turning off the LED's where that part of the screen image at that moment is very dark.  Most LCD's use an overall backlighting which can affect contrast in low lighting scenes, especially at the edges of the screen.  It comes at a premium price at the moment though.

Another thing about LCD's is the contrast and colour diminish as you move away from dead centre.  That's beginning to improve also.

Plasmas don't have that problem.  There's some hearsay that plasmas are susceptable to 'burn-in' if a still image remains on the screen for too long.  I suspect this is less true than in the past.

Good luck with your shopping and enjoyment.  I'm certainly getting tired of watching super-widescreen movies on a 27" screen.

3. Ms Chievous profile image82

Thanks for the input Timorous.. that helps

4. Ms Chievous profile image82

Thanks SimeyC
    The Plasmas I priced are definatley cheaper so that told me they are on their way out.  I will check out the Sharp website!