jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

copyright photos?

1. jdaviswrites profile image92
    jdaviswritesposted 6 years ago

how do i have a copyright on my own photos? i am continually posting my own photographs online, and i'm not sure i want them accessible to everyone in the world for whatever purpose...thanks in advance for any insight...

1. SunSeven profile image61
      SunSevenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You don't. It's already copyrighted!

Learn more here http://www.wikihow.com/Copyright-Photographs

Best Regards smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

SunSeven is right - unfortunately, there are a lot of people out there who would rather believe internet myths than facts. 

A big internet myth is that once you've posted a photo online, it's fair game.  It's not true but lots of people choose to believe what suits them.  So I recommend doing something about protecting your copyright. 

Registering it is fine, but it's only useful if you catch someone stealing the photo - and the reality is, you'll probably never know.

The best way is to put a copyright notice, your website name or your name on the bottom of the photo - here's an example:

At least then if people steal it, everyone knows it's yours.  Some people may crop it off, but it's better than nothing!

2. Austinstar profile image76
      Austinstarposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can also watermark your photos with a good photo editing program like Paint Shop Pro or PhotoShop.
      If you are posting to your own web site, there is a bit of java script you can insert that prevents the right click copy function.

2. Super Chef profile image66
    Super Chefposted 6 years ago

Any photo you take, you automatically hold the intellectual copyrights to if you where to find your photographs being used by other people then you are within your rights to get them for breach of copyright.

3. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago

They are accessible to anyone in the world if you post them.

Copyright, though automatic, makes it illegal for people to use them for their own purpose, but it doesn't prevent people from breaking the law.

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Rochelle, like the new pic!

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Habee-- I'm thinkingg of changing into an owl-- might be scaring people away with my real face up so close.

(Picture copyrighted, of course.)

5. mike1242 profile image68
    mike1242posted 6 years ago

I post a lot of images to different sources on the web, ive had some placed on webs ect where my permission was not given.

I usually send a polite email to get it removed as me being the photographer copyright is solely mine unless i give permission.

Usually the image is removed.

You can contact the web server who hosts the site if a image is being used without proper permission.