jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Take a look and let me know

1. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 6 years ago
    1. Urbane Chaos profile image92
      Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Some tips:

1. Move the picture to the right and add a caption that includs keywords.  Better yet, move the picture capsule down to the next section and let Google have that space for ads.  The more ad space you have above the fold, the more impressions/clicks you'll get.

2. Make the link clickable.  If this is your site and you're selling something, the link placement is good.  If it's not your site and you won't make any money from it, move the link down below the google ads.  It's more important that people have a chance to click on your ads rather than an outside link.  The key is, keep people on your pages as long as possible.  Maybe have a links capsule at the bottom of the page?

3. The hub is relitivly short.  Personally, I would add a little more meat to it.  Think of what questions the reader will have: How can I save money while camping versus other modes of vacationing?  Will buying gas for the camper cost more than if I decided just to fly?  Where are good places to go camping that won't cost me a ton of money? 

4. Research SEO.  For publishing articles online, this is a must.

Now for the good..

You picked an excellent topic, one that many people are interested in.  What you have down so far is very good, it gets people thinking and gives them options of where to go.  The hub is well written - I'm picky as hell about that.  If someone doesn't know propper grammar then they shouldn't be writing. 

For a first hub, I think it's absolutly excellent.  I enjoyed reading it.  Good luck and keep writing!

2. joaniemb profile image60
    joaniembposted 6 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice. Really appreciate all the tips. I am going to get started on editing it. When I am done maybe you will take another look. Thanks again.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image92
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

I gotta say, that's much much better. 

I see a number of positive things here now..

First, the keyword that your using, "camping" has an estimated avg. CPC of $1.06.. Not bad.  That's usually a good indicator of better profits - which you can see by the ad's that Google displays on your hub. 

Second, all of your ads are more visible.  Before, they were almost hidden.  In other words, they seem to be more enticing than the other layout you had.  There's still room to play with things a bit, but I think you get the general idea.  People are more likely to click if the ads are displayed in a way that encourages clicks.

Third, your links at the bottom encourages the reader to go all the way through your article before leaving.  I used to put links at the top as well, but as soon as I moved them to the bottom I noticed a big difference.  Analytics average time on page spiked, and I started seeing more revenue coming in. 

With that said, I'll mention a couple things here for you to think about as well.  After you put together your article, and before you market it, think about how people will search to find your article.  If they type "camping", it will bring up thousands of webpages.  It's hard, almost impossible, to get to the top of Google with that.  Instead, think more along the lines of maybe, "save money camping", or "Travel for Less: Go Camping."  That's where SEO comes into play.  Take the time to read every article on SEO that you can find. 

My friend, I wish you the best!  You're off to an excellent start!

joaniembposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for all of your tips and encouragement. I am going to spend some time reading the articles on SEO.
      Thanks again

4. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

You've had some good advice and your Hub is looking quite good.  I wrote a Hub about "My HubPages Tips" which will help you tweak it further.

It's still a bit short - you need at least 400 words and you'll do much better if you can write more.

Make your first paragraph a bit longer - play around with it until you see a big square Adsense ad appear next to it (use the Preview screen). 

The outside links - do you make any money from them?  If not, I'd go even further than Urbane Chaos suggested, and move them down under your Comments box.

joaniembposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the tips. I am going to read your hub, and do a bit of tweaking