jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Will an Overly Promotional hub lose SE rankings?

1. charlemont profile image83
    charlemontposted 6 years ago

Let's say it's thursday evening, and there comes a warning about an overly promotional hub being unpublished. This is not always a big deal because fixing the issue may require a couple of minutes only. But suppose I'm offline till Saturday when finally get back to PC and read the email from Hubpages. I hurry back to hubs and fix the problem, then resubmit the hub for publication. The hub will not be revised until Monday.
    That's 3 full days of "unpublished" status. What if SE's drop the hub in listings? For a hub with significant SE traffic it is of certain importance.
    So I wonder if HP team can consider implementing the following routine for overly promotional hubs:
    1. After the warning email is sent out, the hub author is given 72 hours to fix the issue. The hub remains flagged, but doesn't get unpublished and stays in SE's as usual.
    2. If the issue is not fixed within given 72 hour timeframe, the hub gets unpublished (just like it happens now).

I do understand that "overly promotional" is kind of broad term, and a single passage of 50 words surrounded by a dozen clickbank links gets unpublished for a good reason.
    But, say, in my case the hub contained 2 links pointing to antivirus website that went dead. All I had to do was to fix URL's.
    So perhaps there's a possibility to avoid unpublishing, at least for hubs with minor issues?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

No, definitely not.  If spammers knew they could get 3 days' worth of traffic every time they posted a Hub, there would be even more of them!

Serious Hubbers soon learn the lesson about being overly promotional - once you've made that mistake on a couple of Hubs, you don't do it again. So it's a minor inconvenience for most Hubbers, which affects only a few Hubs.

1. charlemont profile image83
        charlemontposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Oh, that idea about spammers didn't come to my mind.
        Thank you for enlightening me on this, Marisa!

2. Super Chef profile image64
    Super Chefposted 6 years ago

I agreee with you totally on this one Marisa. There are enough spammers going around on the internet without letting more run riot.