jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Improve the Comments and Amazon modules please

1. Vimlaksh G profile image80
    Vimlaksh Gposted 6 years ago

I am a fan of both HP and Squidoo and there are two things where Squidoo score over HP big time.

Comments: Leave a comment is so yesterday. Squidoo comment module can be used in a variety of ways. I would love to see a comment module that doesn't look like one. In fact it should be such that it seamlessly merges into the hub and can be placed even in the middle without being an eyesore.

Amazon: HP features only the very simple amazon module. No wonder people hardly click on it. Compare this with Squidoo where multiple Amazon plexos like the Amazon Spotlight and Suggest are available.

Can't we have those here as well?

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd like to see something like a forum module in addition to the comment module.

As for Amazon, I would like to see more choice for modules, but I also have had far more sales on HP than Squidoo....

1. Marisa Wright profile image91
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

...which just goes to show that just because something looks flashy, it doesn't mean it works...

Vimlaksh Gposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What I meant the text below the "post comment" button looks awkward if the capsule is placed anywhere but at the page bottom. It's not about multiple capsules, we all know we can have as many capsules as we want.

Regarding Amazon, the spotlight plexo in Squidoo certainly puts the focus on that one product quite effectively.

I was not talking of the earning potential, I think both have good potential and there are many people doing well on both.

2. Marisa Wright profile image91

You can have as many comments capsules as you like on Hubs, including putting them in the middle of the Hub if you like.  People tend not to do that, because readers often won't scroll down past comments to read the rest of the content.

Each to their own, but I can't imagine why I'd want comments to "seamlessly merge" into my Hub.  After all,they're written by someone else and clearly a comment, not a part of the Hub.  Maybe you could clarify the advantages.

2. The10DollarMark profile image60
    The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago

I've had more amazon sales on HP than on Squidoo (with about 60 lenses and 50 hubs). Maybe you just need to have more hubs. People who are interested will click, you just need to find something for them worth clicking to.

As far as comments. Meh, a comment box is a comment box. I know squidoo also has duel but I always found duel to be annoying. I guess it could be prettier...

Personally I'd just be happy with the ability to align a picture to the left of a text, and not always be forced to align to the right.

I need to take your suggestion to heart and do plan to publish many more Hubs over time but your profile shows only 31 Hubs and not 50 as you claim. What happened to the rest?

1. The10DollarMark profile image60
        The10DollarMarkposted 6 years ago in reply to this

If you'd seen my profile, you would have read that I have two accounts.

I have about 30 on this one, and about 20 on the other.

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I agree to Marisa smile

4. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I have not used Squidoo, but have no problem with Amazon sales from HP, when the hub is product centered.

When products are added onto a hub, they don't seem to generate much.

5. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

I don't have any problems with amazon sales. I would like a few changes with the size of the image, but other than that, I like how it is.

Comments should be separated from the hub as they're something that someone else wrote. I like it as is.

6. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Squidoo is way too restrictive, and while the Squidoo Amazon capsules are more innovative, their style is way less profitable.

I am starting up a new squidoo campaign, but I always hare to work hard only to earn less than I do on Hubpages!

7. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 6 years ago

I'm not familiar with Squidoo's Amazon modules or comments modules, but I LOVE these ideas.  I'd love the comments box to be smaller and more integrated.  I'd love a mini-forum module.  Or a module where I as writer can conduct a directed discussion - for example, create a question and then have users fill in the answers (different from quizzes or polls).  For example: "Where Is Your Favorite Place to Go to the Beach in California?"  And visitors would just type in short place names, and writers could moderate those responses.  This would add real value to a lot of hubs.

And more Amazon options.  More display options, including the ability to do unlimited 60/40 impression sharing for Amazon text links (somehow).  And for HubPages to add various Amazon affiliate programs in other countries - like Amazon.co.uk or Australia and any other countries whose language requirements match with HubPages'.

Anyway, I think these are great ideas.

1. Marisa Wright profile image91

Fiction Teller, after reading the comments from other Hubbers, I wouldn't be in favour of more display options for Amazon.  Most newbies would go for the more "attractive" display options, and it sounds as though the plain display converts much better - so it would hurt income. 

The only other English-speaking Amazons are Canada and the UK. I don't know whether HubPages gets enough readership from those countries to be worth the programming to achieve the change.

Marisa, what's the harm in people going for "more attractive display options"?  Choice always promotes creativity I feel.