So I tried using the Google AdWords keyword tool today, and...

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (26 posts)
  1. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

...guess what?  It seems that unless I'm missing something, you now need to have an AdWords account to get the keyword tool to show the estimated average CPC for a keyword/phrase.  If you don't have an AdWords account, you can *sort* by CPC, but you can't actually view the CPC column any more.

Bummer.

If I sign up for AdWords, do I actually have to shell out any money?

Is there any other way of finding out the CPC for a search term?

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This tool doesnt require login:

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

The new one (beta)

https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeting/ … Type=IDEAS

does.

I bet g, will phase out the old tool eventually, which will probably kill the functionality of alot of the current tools we use.

An adwords account is free, but it does require a 5.00 deposit to start a campaign..this 5 is credited towards your campaign. If you start a few google accounts (mail, wave, etc) they usually send you $100 vouchers - which makes a $5 deposit very worthwhile.

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image84
        Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much for posting this.  I came on here tonight just to ask this question as to where this site was and there was my answer already.  I had been on it before, but couldn't find it again.

2. Ivorwen profile image64
    Ivorwenposted 13 years ago

I had trouble getting the tool to work when I tried to access it through my google account, but this link allows you to use it.

https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

You can choose which columns are shown by selecting from the "Choose columns to display:" option.

3. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 13 years ago

Sunforged and Ivorwen, thanks for your reply but the link you both posted (https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal) is the one I was already using.  When I last used it a few days ago, it let me show the actual CPC values.  Now it won't do that any more.  I can sort by CPC, but I can't get it to show a column with CPC values like I used to do.

Grrrrrr.

1. Ivorwen profile image64
      Ivorwenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It worked the same as it always has for me this morning.  Could it be where you are from?   Have you asked others from the UK if they are having the same problem?  I am sure some would be more than willing to help.  TattoGuy would probably be available if you sent him a message.

4. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I normally find that it lets me perform searches until I leave it to time out (5 mins or something) then it asks me to sign in... I just close and reopen, and it works fine again without sign in. Hope that helps.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ryan, yes I already knew about the time-out thingy - this is something different.  They've actually changed the interface (try using it and you'll see what I mean).

However, I think I've found a way round it.  You can do a broad search using the KeyWord tool and sort by competition, and then use the Traffic Estimator (https://adwords.google.com/select/Traff … torSandbox) to find actual CPC values for search terms that look promising.  It's a bit more fiddly in that you're using two tools where one was enough before, but hey.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thanks for posting. I had gone to the link this morning and found it different to use. thanks for the tip.

1. profile image0

ThoughtfulSpot & RebekahELLE, I'm glad it's not just me LOL.

5. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years ago

I just tried the link I had been using (same one sunforged listed) and had the same issue.  The interface is totally different than a few days ago, and no CPC column.  Ugh.  Thanks for the heads up EF.  I'll have to check out the link you posted.  If anyone else has any ideas, please post 'em.  I was just starting to get the hang of using Adwords... Back to the drawing board, I guess.

6. N. Ramius profile image73
    N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

It's possible to get the CPC column and other settings in the new system. However, there should be a button or something that lets you view the other version.

Yesterday I went from their new layout back to the old though I don't remember which button I pressed. It's there somewhere though.

7. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

I completely logged out of all google accounts, closed down my browser after clearing all cookies/cache/history etc.

went to the adwords keyword tool link and still had problem.

Its weird that it would only effect some people, you are selecting, "show est epc" in the dropdown menu (sorry to ask)...that option is just gone?

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The option to add columns seems to be completely gone.  Also, the whole page looks different.  I now have to fill out the captcha before I can even use the page.  Its completely greyed out until I do so.  I haven't played around much, but that is what I noticed right off the bat.

That is odd that only some people are seeing the difference.  Are you U.S., Sunforged?

8. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

yes, im US-NY

i posted 2 links.

if the 2nd link is what you are seeing then you have prob somehow set teh new view as your default.

clearing all your cookies, should fix that

Thanks.  I just tried again on this computer (had been on the work computer earlier) and I didn't have any problem here.  I'll try clearing out the other computer tomorrow.

2. profile image0

Yesss!  You're right, it does.  Thanks!  Hope Google doesn't do away with this version - I've found it very useful.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I kept fooling around on the new site until I got the CPC to show up. I'm not sure how I did tt! lol

Nice!
      If you figure it out, let us know.  I'm o.k. now thanks to Sunforged's help, but if Google goes completely to the new layout, we'll have to keep the tips in mind. big_smile

10. ns1209 profile image65
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

How do you get this to work?

1. profile image0

What, the keyword tool itself or the method for accessing the old (pre-"disimprovement") version?

11. travelespresso profile image70
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

Hmmm me too Empress Felicity.
    Yesterday I had no problems but today I'm experiencing the same issues.  I can click on "advanced" and select the CPC column but it doesn't show it. 
    It says to get the full range of data you must sign in.
    Thanks for highlighting this all.

12. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Click previous interface and it will bring you right back to the old version

Dale

1. profile image0

Oooooh yeah, never noticed that before LOL. Top right hand of page, for anyone else who's interested.  Thanks.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank god for you Dale (oh, forgot I was an athiest)..... I have been finishing old hubs, which were started after keyword research on the old version, I now fancy grabbing a few more titles... and the new version is awful.

I am going to do keyword research for 100 hubs over the next few weeks, in case they phase this out.

Cheers,

Ryan.

13. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

Yes, I've noticed that someday I click for the adwords tool it shows with the old interface, and other times it shows with the new - both times using the same link that automatically comes in when I put 'g' into the Firefox toolbar.
    I'll need to look for the 'show previous interface' next time because I really do not like the new one.
    I have found the cpc column but its fiddly and I'm not sure I remember how to get it to show.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)