The Hub rating system

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Harvey Stelman profile image59
    Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years ago

This is something I swear I will never understand, I guess I'm not supposed to.

1. Falsor Wing profile image60
      Falsor Wingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Baaaad joojoo you best not be meddlin in tings men ain't meant to understand, you hear me?

2. Jeff Berndt profile image72
      Jeff Berndtposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a bit curious about it myself.

I get that duplicate content = bad.

I get that "quality writing" = good.

I get that there are rating buttons. (Corollary: if someone takes a dislike to you, they can downrate all your hubs, and probably create multiple accounts to re-downrate them, get their friends to downrate them, &c. They could also uprate them in the same way if they take a liking to you.)

It seems to me that the more extra stuff you slap on to your hub, the "better" it becomes. More JPGs, more .wav files, more more more. I don't get this, myself, but hey. We grew up watching Sesame Street and have short attention spans. Maybe lots of dancing baloney drives traffic?

But I have noticed that the top-rated hubbers all have a lot of hubs, and they're very well-written (in spite of the sometimes gratuitous inclusion of other media). My advice: write more, and write well. You'll reap the rewards.

Also, tell your friends about your hubs. It's okay to self-market. Don't be shy. Tell the world about the awesome new article you wrote and published. If it's good, they'll tell their friends. And so on, and so on...

Harvey Stelmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeff,

Have you ever lookded at your profile, clicked to a Forum, clicked back to your profile and find your score went down 3 points?

I've seen this many times, though it's usually one point.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72

Yeah, I've seen my score inexplicably fluctuate. I dunno why it does, I just take it as read that it will.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeff, I'm wondering what you mean by "gratuitous inclusion of other media"?  hmm

Separate from that, I have to say that it looks to me material that is carefully written and not necessarily aimed at a short attention span often seems to be rated well.  I think if a lot of people are like me, they don't care so much what a Hub is about, and may vote up if they see that (even they're not interested in it) the Hubber aimed to put together a decent-quality piece of writing.

I'm "big" for media, though - which is I why I wouldn't mind expanding on that part of your discussion.  smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jeff, I can reassure you on that point.  It came up recently and Paul Deeds explained that one thumbs up/down on a Hub doesn't make much difference at all, so even if someone has it in for you, they can't do much damage.

That makes sense to me.  HubPages isn't just about writing, it's about creating an attractive, informative magazine-style article.  Magazines always have illustrations and a nicely designed layout!

Youtube videos are always good, because they keep visitors on your page longer, and you get a free backlink at Youtube. RSS feeds, News feeds and references (all hidden at the bottom of your Hub, below the comments) make you more popular with Google.

As for the rest - I've never added a wav, poll, quiz or any of that stuff, and my score ain't doing too bad!

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

Jeff, regarding up and down ratings- in response to some of the recent forum drama, a HP staffer commented that the down ratings have very little effect on hub scores.

Not sure if that is good or not, but it would make it very difficult for someone to play games of the type you mention.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image72

Oh, that's reassuring. I'm glad that someone can't wreck your score out of spite.

Jeff,

Nice reply.

3. marcel285 profile image63
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I think the system is good and makes perfect sense.

marcel,

I remember Marcel from (FRIENDS"; you are not Marcel! OOPS, you use a small m.

1. marcel285 profile image63
        marcel285posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hhaha yeah i've been hassled about that before!!

4. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

The amount of juice you get from google seems to have an effect on my hubscore. When the bigger markets are all tucked up in bed, my score often drops overnight, only to refurbish itself in the morning! smile

5. Harvey Stelman profile image59

Yesterday I wrote another Hub, received a bunch of comments and played on the Forums for some time. For all this activity my score was lowered two points.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't know where you got this deluded idea that commenting and making posts makes your score go down.  If that were the case, how come the most vocal and frequent posters don't have single digit scores?

Given how much you seem to be upset with how this site works, Harvey, why do you stay here when there are so many other writing/publishing sites out there?

Harvey Stelmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

rel,

I never said that! I said this is what has been happening to me, it hasn't happened before.

I wrote two more Hubs and my score went up one point. The older of the two has received a good amount of hits.

6. Harvey Stelman profile image59

Well it's been a few short hours since I last posted the above. I just answered a few comments and my score was lowered another point. I guess someone thinks a zero would look good next to my name.

I've written Hub twice and still no answer.

7. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 14 years ago

Well one thing is for sure your not Robinson Crusoe. My hub score went down from 92 93 to 87 overnight !

barry,

Wrote another Hub, received a bunch of comments and played the Forums. Score went down another point. That's from 91 to 80.

8. spuds profile image60
    spudsposted 13 years ago

The hub ranking system is about as mysterious as the Google search ranking system. Just when you think you have it worked out you realise you do not.

spuds,

I am totally perplexed. I'm waiting for my zero.

9. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

The silver lining is that your earnings depend on the search engine ranking system, whereas they don't depend on the hub rating system.

Marissa,

With a full of bull TOS months ago, I haven't dropped like this before.  The searches keep coming.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So why is it worrying you?

Marisa,

Not worried, very curious. Wouldn't you be?

10. bhaskar_c profile image56
    bhaskar_cposted 13 years ago

Thats right.... good writing gives more rating

bha,

My writing may not be perfect, but I have been published in a magazine.

11. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 13 years ago

I am also curious about the spiral downward!

Dao,

I went from 91 to 79 in a slow daily mannor.

12. CASE1WORKER profile image61
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

my numbers are going up 91 this morning on 7 hubs but the seo arnt picking up so i think it is academic...... but it gave me some satisfaction

Case,

Good for you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)