jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Is it love or is it loneliness?

1. 0
    The Illuminaticposted 6 years ago

Why do people choose to stay in disruptive relationships?  Does one really love the other or is it a fear of being alone? What is love anyway?

1. figment profile image72
      figmentposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have a tendency to stay in unhealthy relationships because of lonliness.  Love should be kind , gentle, full of trust and respect.

1. 0
        The Illuminaticposted 6 years ago in reply to this

but aren't you lonely anyway if the relationship is unhealthy?  can't a person be alone but not lonely?

2. 0
    Ghost32posted 6 years ago

Based on my 6 divorces prior to meeting my wife, I'd have to say the reasons for staying vary.  Love, fear (of being alone, of being attacked by the one you're trying to leave, or even fear of friends and relatives giving you a hard time about it), and sometimes concern that the one you need to leave might not make it without you.

That last one can get interesting. 

As to "what is love anyway", it'll take a better man (or woman or angel or something) than me to answer that one.

1. 0
      The Illuminaticposted 6 years ago in reply to this

does ego play a role in that last one?  does ego play a role in all your reasons?

3. H.C Porter profile image84
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

People stay in bad relationships for a variety of reasons-
    Fear of being alone/or being without the familiarity of the known.
    Feelings of an obligation(s) to stay
    Doubt that they are worth anything more than they have in the dysfunctional relationship
    or Love is still there, and the hope that it will be enough to pull through the bad times to the good.
    What is love? I believe love to be complicated and different for everyone, but I believe it to include mutual respect and understanding-genuine concern and overwhelming admiration and a driving desire to be close to someone else, to feel at peace with yourself.

A person can be alone and not lonely as well as they can be devoted to a relationship and feel considerable loneliness.