jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Reciprocal links and social bookmarking sites - or spamming?

1. pjdscott profile image76
    pjdscottposted 8 years ago

Further to a fascinating discussion on the comments section of a hub of mine, we have decided to transfer the arguments here for the benefit of all hubbers. The discussion arose following my proposal that involves fellow hubbers posting link requests here, posting them on various other social bookmarking sites but pointing back to the other person's site (an electronic version of Hitchcock's "Double Indemnity" but without the murder!).

My question - can HubPages be penalized by, say, Google, because of a number of invdividuals' actions? I would have to confess <shame> that StumbleUpon once prevented me from adding a link to my personal site (I think I must have linked about 9 times previously, over a period of about 6 months) - however, I did not receive any 'ban', nor did I get any sort of communication.

During my research I noted that HubPages does not frequently appear anywhere near the top of sites listing the top xx social bookmarking sites. This is hardly due to spamming on anyone's part - I suspect the other sites are longer established. How established is HP? I would be very surprised if Google or even StumbleUpon penalizes HubPages since certain individuals might be seen to be spammers. Can I coin the phrase "Corporate Spammers"? And add that HubPages is certainly not corporate spamming, nor responsible for it. Perhaps Jason might give us his thoughts.

2. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

It appears that Delicious (add dots wherever) has blacklisted the HubPages domain, for one.

And I got banned from Newsvine as soon as I started bookmarking Hubs there. (Which is actually fair enough, I guess, because Newsvine want people to bookmark news only, and the original source if possible, not commentary on it.)

3. pjdscott profile image76
    pjdscottposted 8 years ago

inspirepub - sorry to hear about your bans (when your linking was well-intentioned); however, it is really useful to know which sites impose bans. Perhaps someone could write a hub listing the sites and their experiences?

4. Inspirepub profile image86
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Jason is working on that now - Project Backlink part 2 is all about these sites, and that Hub's comments section is the place for people to post their info.

I haven't been banned from Digg, as some others were, possibly because I Digg a wide range of domains besides my Hubs.

I may go back to Newsvine at some point, and make lists of links to news stories in my niche, so that I can get decent news feeds on my Hubs. At the moment I just don't bother with news feeds because they either contain a bunch of irrelevant articles, or you have to narrow the search so much that all you get is six copies of the same press release on different news sites. I can see that Newsvine could be the solution to that problem, but I haven't had time to do it yet - other priorities!