jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (19 posts)

Ebay - Worth it?

1. LarasMama profile image59
    LarasMamaposted 6 years ago

I currently use Amazon and Adsense on my accounts. I have my own website so should be able to sign up for an Ebay affiliate account, however I've heard conflicting stories - such as the fact you make very little money relative to other methods.

Do you think it's worth it to use Ebay instead of/as well as Amazon?

Thanks for any feedback!

1. warchild75 profile image49
      warchild75posted 6 years ago in reply to this

I dint think so at first but with less than a hundred hubs i am making roughly £40 a month so yes it is worth it,if they accept you!!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Look at people like Nelle and Garfield, they make money on eBay.

My websites are all based on eBay (you'll find the links in my profile).  I'm not making a lot of money but I am getting sales.  eBay does much better than Amazon for me.

2. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 6 years ago

I've tried using Ebay on one of my own websites, but I didn't like it much. I just didn't make enough to warrant keeping it on there, since I made a lot more from various affiliates. I have no doubt some people have had good experiences with Ebay though.

I'd just say.. test the water.. try out Ebay, if it works well for you, great! If not, you can just stop using it, no biggie.

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I have heard a few good stories about ebay in relation to hubs.
    I think a few people have gone over to ebay due to the tax problems in certain states with amazon, ebay does not have those same problems (affiliates being dropped due to tax law changes). I actually would love to give ebay a crack but with no self hosted site and traffic to said site I would not be accepted sad

On the other hand I am in the UK and might get the honor of being one of the few amazon affiliates left with all the tax stuff going on in the states which could be a bonus. My brother just got a job with amazon so I might have to pick his brains once he has been there a little while and find out what he knows wink

4. Super Chef profile image66
    Super Chefposted 6 years ago

I used to have ebay integrated to my website but never done too well with it so I removed it. Until last week I tried to re input it on my website and ebay rejected my application. Which I dont understand!!!!

1. Dao Hoa profile image62
      Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

May be you are living in the state that imposes sale tax. EBay dropped some affiliates because their states require EBay to collect taxes.

2. Money Glitch profile image88
      Money Glitchposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Just got my 2nd reject letter from Ebay today.  First tried when I started writing here and today for my own personal website. Good to know about the tax issues in some states.  Oh well, obviously they don't need my business and at this point I don't want theirs.

Thanks Sunforged as usual your hubs on this subject have been very informative and helpful. smile

5. Dao Hoa profile image62
    Dao Hoaposted 6 years ago

There are many success stories with EBay in the forum. Some hubbers made several thousands of dollars.

6. GarfieldGates profile image85
    GarfieldGatesposted 6 years ago

I used to wonder if eBay was worth it as well until I read some success stories.  I seriously started doing eBay-centric hubs last month and seem to have perfected my own formula this month for eBay earnings.  It may not seem worth it at first, but once you figure it out and get the hang of constructing hubs to maximize earnings on eBay you will realize that it is possibly even better and has a higher potential than the other methods.

1. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just read some of your ebay hubs. Excellent job. You are a natural at online marketing and have a very bright future at HubPages.

1. GarfieldGates profile image85
        GarfieldGatesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement and affirmation Nelle!  I have you to thank for pointing out the real value and potential of eBay. 

Earning with eBay (and Amazon) is less about writing content hubs and putting in associated and related products - and more about writing product centric hubs.  The more targeted your hub is to a product - the more you will likely earn.  At least, that is what my experience tells me.

1. 0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's more than that Garfield, you've found your Inner Seller!

You've found a voice that will sell products really well. Seriously write a couple hundred more of those on related subjects and link them together and you're on your way. And don't forget get about Amazon and Adsense. They all work and you want to be diversified.

I've been having a lot of fun with adsense recently and once you figure that little nut out it makes a lot of money too! (Don't bother looking on Nelle they aren't written under that name.)

I'm looking forward to the day when you post that you've had your First $1,000 month. If you work hard, I think it will happen faster than you think.

7. alternate poet profile image78
    alternate poetposted 6 years ago

I am about to start setting up a website or sites for a variety of different purposes around one central market.  I can see few alternatives to ebay as a marketplace for international stuff at the moment where the ads and the goods can be in the same place - or is there ?

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There are lots of affiliate sites out there.

When I was looking for affiliate opportunities, I just googled for "affiliates [topic]".

8. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Info on other affiliate opportunities:

<all links snipped, no self-promotion>

I have a couple of hubs that (I think) have good info on affiliate marketing opps, I couldnt really count, but I must have a few thousand partnered programs by now. Most are through networks so they are easier to track. Sometimes I get checks in the mail and I have no idea why!

The only thing to keep in mind is that most networks only accept people who apply though sites under their own domains and hosting.

9. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

From my own mistakes I would say only use Ebay modules on higher value products.

10. thranax profile image59
    thranaxposted 6 years ago

I dislike eBay, i still try it on some hubs but I never got a sale, and rarely a click. Amazon and Adsense seem to be more effective.

11. She-rah profile image83
    She-rahposted 6 years ago

I use only ebay capsules to sell a product of my own. I'm not an affiliate. I just got my own website up and running so I haven't applied and not sure if I will. My own product in my ebay capsules does the best as far as money for me. Had my first $100 day last week through hubpages and the ebay capsules alone. Works better for me I think and I don't have to split anything except paying my ebay listing and sales fees for my product, which is a very small amount.