How I got 1,000 views to a new hub in less than 24 hours!

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (37 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image79
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

First a disclaimer is in order.

I broke the evergreen rule with this approach. I knew it going in and did it anyway. What the hell, sometimes rules are made to be broken. Sometimes a gamble pays off, often it doesn't. I do live in Las Vegas though so it is in my blood! smile

Hubs should be on evergreen topics so that we will reap the long term benefits from mostly one time work. Topical hubs are not a good long term strategy because it is the complete opposite of an evergreen topic. But I did it anyways to roll the dice and to lock up the URL here on HP in case it becomes a yearly event. It probably won't, but it may.

A friend in IRC late last night linked me to an article about 'BoobQuake'. I had heard the story about this Iranian clerics statement but wasn't aware that it had spawned into an International 'Boobquake' day today to poke fun at it in a strictly fun way. Since I seen CNN and Foxnews had written about it, and that it was a top trending topic on Twitter I knew it would be good for at least one day of hits. So why not? I set a goal of 1,000 views in 24 hours.

I wrote the hub rather fast since I was late to the game. Then I stumbled it and then tweeted the stumble. This is a very effective method to drastically increase the views to your stumbles. Normally my stumbles only get a few hits, 3-5 at best. My tweeted stumbles get closer to 50 views with my 500 Twitter followers. Big difference folks and worth doing this!  Today's Tweeted stumble got 100 views since it was also a hot topic on Twitter. This same technique works equally as well for your Digg's! If you have more followers on Facebook then use that instead of Twitter, or even both.

I also went around to 4 social backlinking sites: RedGage, Xomba, SheToldMe and FolkD. Those didn't pan out so well really. These are better for backlinks to rank better in Google for keywords, which I didn't have a chance at short term. No way I was competing on Google against all the major sites reporting on this story in less than a day. So I used a different approach for short term hits.

Next I created a bit.ly short link to track the response and used that for a couple more Tweets and mostly for posting to the Facebook page setup strictly for the 'Boobquake' thing today by the woman who started all of this. By posting my link to this very targeted place, this got me over 500 of the total 1,000 hits. Over 250 alone in a one hour period! This is a good approach for any hub if you can find a Facebook group about your topic. Go 'Like' the group page, join in on the discussions and occasionally post your hub there. Expect a great response from a highly targeted backlink. Realize I slept 8 hours through the peak hours of this one day event. If I had 'worked' this all day I would have probably got at least 2,000 - 3,000 hits today instead of only 1,000 views.

All told HP's stats are currently showing 964 views about 20 hours after publishing. With 4 hours to go I'm sure by the end of the 24 hours I will have easily reached my goal of 1,000 views for this hub.

While a few more hits will probably trickle in tomorrow and for the rest of this week, it is over with now for the most part. I was hoping a power user or two on Twitter would retweet my link to their 30,000 followers to really get me a lot of hits, but that wasn't to be. One of the many gambles I was taking.

At the end of the day it seems I didn't make a dime from this hub on AdSense, not sure about Amazon since I have not checked that yet. It was a risky gamble and I lost out money wise. Still I probably will end up with a few new friends on various social web sites from today's fun. And I got a meaningless peak traffic day here on HP that blows away my prior best day for total views.

Even though my one day wonder approach is bad long term, a few other things I mentioned here ARE good approaches for any hub which is the main reason for posting this lengthy post. The 1,000 hits in one day to a new hub on the same day of publishing was just to get your attention! It worked didn't it? smile Hopefully it will help you when applied to your own hubs as you market them around the Social Linking web sites.

Linking from related Facebook groups about your hub's topic are a great place to post links. Tweeting your stumbles and Digg's is also great! Try these approaches and compare it to your normal hit count on your stumbles and Diggs to your hubs. I'm sure you will see a big difference like I have! Backlinking your backlinks works great and I need to do this more often since I recently discovered just how well this works. While the effects of what I did was multiplied by targeting a topical hot topic, much of the success of todays fun, over 50% to be exact, comes from that highly targeted Facebook group. Check out the images below.

Bit.ly 1 Hour Traffic Peak [255]: (Mostly Facebook)
    http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3977/bitly1hourtraffic255vie.jpg

Bit.ly Total 1 Day Traffic [521] (a 20 hour period) (Mostly Facebook)
    http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/155/bitlytraffictotal453x12.jpg

HubPages Total Views Peak [1,241 and still rising]
    http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/2532/hpviews540x196.jpg

I really hope this post is not seen as promotional because this wasn't my intention here at all. I really could care less if anyone from hubpages views this now dead Topical hub. AdSense doesn't like it and hardly shows ads on it, if at all. No good keywords.

I mostly did this today for fun and to see how much traffic I could get in a day, but then by sleeping through the peak hours I sold myself waaaaay short. While some of what I did is a bad idea, the approaches I used worked very well. I think experimenting can be a fun way to learn something new. While search engines are the best traffic source money wise, it can easily be acquired other ways too. I'm sorry this was so long, but hopefully worth reading.

This post could have easily been a hub, but I'd rather share it here so more hubbers can benefit from these tips. One last check on the numbers shows this hub now has over 1,000 views, 1,020. YAY I did it! smile
    http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/5923/boobquake3.jpg

Which unconventional linking methods work well for you to get more traffic?

1. soni2006 profile image79
      soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started doing the facebook thing that you suggested, liking a related facebook group and then adding links after some discussion. This is really bringing in good amount of traffic to my hubs, but frankly speaking, I have done this for only 5 to 6 hubs not for all. I think doing that for all will make a spammer in FB and I don't want to become one because all the links will be coming directly from my hubs. By the way, you have done an excellent thing and shown an out of ordinary way by stumbling and retweeting your stumbles and then social bookmarking and then bookmarking those bookmarks again and again on various site. This thing creates a web of external traffic where a potential visitor comes to your mother site automatically after going through a chain of backlinking sites created by you. No matter you are making money with that traffic. The profit is that these hot links are liked by the search engines and rank your page up and the most profitable traffic is what you get from the search engines where potential information seekers or real buyers are searching for a term and visit  your page as it comes in the top results and at the end make you money.

So no problem at all if you didn't made a single penny with your hub initially as after some days, you will be making a constant amount of money from the work you did a few days back.

Best of luck friend. Keep up the good work. Experimenting different ways combined with consistency, hardwork, and patience are keys to success. What you are doing today will give you benefits in the future. I know this and that's why I don't worry at all when sometimes my traffic goes down. Also at any affiliate sites like adsense, etc., some days are hits and some  days lows. Don't think too much about this. Just analyze why this happened and do something what you think will be beneficial. That's why you can see my hubs on different topics and categories.

MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I made no money on this fun traffic test hub because it was a topical hub, hot news topic, with a one day life span. I did no keyword research and wasn't even trying to monetize it very much beyond the Amazon capsule I threw in there as an afterthought.

Next time I would take a different approach and try and think of good keywords that AdSense likes. I only took the backlinking to one level: Tweeting my Diggs and Stumbles.  I can clearly see how taking the backlinking your backlinks thing to the next level would be even more powerful long term.

The Facebook thing was the most effective aspect of it all, by far

Todays, well yesterday now, focus was on short term traffic, not AdSense or money due to lack of time to research. I really do doubt this hub will make any money because the traffic will die off really fast starting today. I don't care as it doesn't matter in this case. If it does keep getting decent traffic then I'll rework the hub if it seems worth the effort.

2. misslong123 profile image83
      misslong123posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This post was awesome! I filled up a whole page of notes. I don't have a Twitter account yet, so most of this was over my head, but you sure did offer a lot of insight! I also am glad someone posted the 3 links to Twitter and RedGage, because I do not know anything about them, and I'm anxious to check out those links and see what they are all about. I'm a newbie and haven't gotten into social media/marketing stuff yet. I'm just trying to write as much as I can with as much quality as I can at the moment. But any advice from you experts is truly welcome. Thanks for the advice! Michele (misslong123)

2. englightenedsoul profile image57
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

You should make this into hub.  Some very good point raised and I will try the stumble and tweeting thing.  Thanks for sharing.  Congratulations on hitting 1000 views in 24 hours.

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ditto.

1. chinweike profile image60
        chinweikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking about telling him to make this into hub. Good points raised here. Especially the tweeting of stumbles. I have never thought of that before.
        Thanks for sharing.
        Cheers!

3. Falsor Wing profile image61
    Falsor Wingposted 13 years ago

So I tweet my stumbles, and my digs and my article directly? like 3 tweets per article or more if you have other back linking sites?

You can use both approaches. Now I prefer to Tweet my Stumbles and Diggs, instead of directly Tweeting my hub, as it builds up those links with more possible Diggs and views on the Stumble and they lead to my hub anyways.

Be careful Tweeting the same thing too many times in a short period of time though. I hit Twitter several times today with the same thing and lost one follower. But then I gained at least one new one too...

Usually I'll Tweet my hub then a few other things, like other hubbers hubs, before I Tweet my own again which is usually something new by then.

1. Falsor Wing profile image61
        Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmmm I have zero followers. does that make this twitter strategy useless to me?

Totally useless as no one will hear your Tweets. sad

First you need to work on getting followers.

Falsor Wing here is forum post and a hub where you can follow other hubbers on Twitter and most will follow you back. While you really want twitter followers besides hubbers it is a start.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/31802
          http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubpages-Twitter (rather old)

Hubbers on RedGage:
          http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/40874

1. Falsor Wing profile image61
            Falsor Wingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

muchos gracias

4. Peter Hoggan profile image69
    Peter Hogganposted 13 years ago

Excellent stuff MyWebs.

5. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

I thought about doing a hub on boobquake but shrugged it off. Seems there was traffic to be had after all. Gotta love those spontaneous stories that spring up.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depends why you're here, maybe that was a good decision.  MyWebs does say he only got traffic, not income.

6. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Really interesting will try out the specific group thing and look into backlinking backlinks!

7. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Now tell us how much you made from it wink :p

Mostly this kind of traffic doesn't covert too well sad

1. chinweike profile image60
      chinweikeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I doubt if he will make a lot from this kind of traffc.

2. MyWebs profile image79

I already said above in the original post, and elsewhere too, that I didn't make a dime and that I also wasn't trying to make money. The only goal was traffic, which I easily achieved.

I should have also focused on some keywords but I didn't have the time for any keyword research as I found out about the topic very late. Then I was sleepy and slept away the day. There may not of been any decent related keywords anyways..

I'm not sure exactly what kind of traffic your speaking of? A little over 50% of the traffic came from Facebok, do FB users not click? While search engine traffic is best of course, I find it hard to believe FB traffic would be so bad not to be worthwhile. Especially when its highly targeted traffic.

Considering FB is the #1 social networking web site, by member numbers, I would think its users are diverse enough that some would click.

8. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 13 years ago

Now let me ask you this.  And remember Im talking from a marketers point of view.

Would you rather have 1000 views with no earnings or 25 views with some earnings from it.

Traffic is great but as a marketer I focus on buying traffic.

I will tell you something else.  While the book marking sites may be great for traffic they are terrible for buying traffic.

Your strategy is great but you can now also see that there isnt great traffic from book marking sites.

Just my 2 cents and not meant to be rude but honest.

Dale

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Now that the one-day event is over... how will this Hub do anything for you?  What is your strategy for it once the brief surge of traffic dies off?

It probably won't do anything for me or HP besides consuming a few hundred kilobytes of very cheap disk space on HP's servers.

I have no strategy. It was all just a test to see how much short term traffic I could get, nothing more. I may rank well later on Google and get a few long term hits. I'm surprised to see it has got about another 400 hits since when I posted it had 1,020 hits earlier.

If the topic of the hub becomes an annual event, I do now have the prime URL on HP and will be much better prepared next year.

If anyone has a good idea, I'd like to hear it. I'm a bit too sleepy now to think of anything good to do with it.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Link to loads of your other hubs, using referral trackers, you may even manage a nice referral or two wink thats what I would do.....

10. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I agree with the sentiments above, I am currently getting 15000 page views per day, it took my established hubs about 4 to 7 months to really start to help achieving that.... I would rather write a hub which gets me 10 page views per day consistently.

And thats my benchmark actually, as long as a hubpage gets me 10 page views per day it is a success.... thats 3650 page views per year... hopefully for several years or more.

Still, a good achievement, but try and achieve this with an evergreen topic and you will be well on your way.... I wrote a news hub before, did well for a week, then did so badly it earnt itself a hubscore of 45... I deleted it and watched my hubberscore rise by about 4 points... so, never again!

1. andromida profile image57
      andromidaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks ryan for the enlightenment. Today, I also got over 200 page views in one of my hubs,which normally get 50-100 views a day. I was trying to figured out why so much traffic today.It is because somebody used  my hub as a reference in his news article.Surely, this type of traffic does no convert well.I have some other hubs getting less than 30 google organic view a day and giving my consistent ad money.thanks.

11. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

This is better off in a hub by the way, with your Redgage and Xomba referral codes.

12. brettb profile image60
    brettbposted 13 years ago

Nice. I have a few hubs that get big traffic but no clicks. I think it's worth building them though as they bring followers and a nicer hubscore.

13. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 13 years ago

Evergreen topics will keep regular traffic coming in, but I guess the beauty of hubpages is that you can write about whatever you want. The readers bought in from that hub may well then go on to read some of your other hubs or come back again. I think thats pretty impressive anyway and I also think you could make that into a hub. smile

14. Dense profile image60
    Denseposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the sharing! Mid way through your hub, my thoughts were: "This is good enough to be a hub by itself". It might not be wasted effort after all. wink

15. climberjames profile image58
    climberjamesposted 13 years ago

This is very impressive!! You should turn this post into a hub!

16. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

Oh please do turn it into a hub. It's a great case study in a few areas - topical news with short shelf life, use of social media to drive traffic, whether this kind of traffic can be converted to clicks (what on earth were the ads like?) and/or sales (t-shirts for the boobquakers?).

Inquiring minds need to know.

I really don't think News Stories are a good idea at all. One good thing to come from this hub is that all the traffic seems to helped it to become a 'Featured Hub' on the home page. smile I guess thousands of views in a short period of time is what it takes...

Like I said in my original post I thought about making a hub from it, but thought more users could benefit from it here in the forums instead of my limited number of followers.

When the hub was new AdSense ads hardly showed at all, often none showed. Now that ads are showing its mostly internal hub traffic. Bah...
      The ads seem to be rather generic ones and probably don't pay well if they were to get a click is my guess.

17. profile image50
    bastetmaxposted 13 years ago

I wouldn't  be interested in this so much for money (Adsense thinks I'm useless) as for getting hits for any book that is published. (Future money.) Since I plan to get on published in iPad, this could be very useful. I also have an older novel, published in 2006, that suddenly started making money again when the Kindle version took off. So, just getting those two things mentioned and in the flow again would be very useful for me.

And convincing a publisher that, yes, all those eyeballs seeing my name could be turned into readers (and buyers) would be a great thing.

It's useful for other reasons than just making money off of Web ads.

Lynn

18. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 13 years ago

I've written a couple of hubs based on news topics, most successfully at the time of michael jacksons death I put together a couple which make a small amount of money every month. With ten albums worth of material still to be released by sony over the next few years I'm expecting that to be regular traffic but the income is pennies.

I'll try the backlinking your backlinks strategy and see if that improves the income level.

Regards
    Dennis

19. gags3480 profile image60
    gags3480posted 10 years ago

Really interesting experience you had. Thx for the advice of tweeting the stumbles. I will ensure that I do it regularly.

20. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

This is a 3-year-old thread. What was true then is not necessarily true now...

1. FatFreddysCat profile image92
      FatFreddysCatposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This message on the OP's profile page seems to bear that out:

"If your new to HubPages you may wish to reconsider Joining HubPages . HubPages has become a suckass place to write for. One bad decision after another is ruining what used to be a great place. Keep looking as HP sucks now."

...OUCH, maaaaaaaan!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)