Is It True?

1. archdaw profile image62
    archdawposted 6 years ago

reaching out to all of you that has been published.  Is it true that if you print out a copy of your book and mail it to yourself and don't open it that you have a copy right of that book?  I just finished my first book and I have no idea about copy rights.  Please help me! I need your help!

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
      AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Copyright is automatic; if you've created something in your own time, you own it.  If you've written a novel, for example, in your employer's time, your employer owns it.

The tricky part is being able to prove ownership in a court of law, should you ever need to.

You could mail yourself a copy (on disc is fine) of your manuscript, and include a signed and dated letter, and do not open the envelope - as you already suggest.

To learn more about the complexities of different forms of Copyright, including International Copyright, First Rights, etc., look up the Artists' and Writers' Yearbook which offers much information about this issue.

Several authors' organisations also offer legal advice about Copyright and other issues relevant to authors, but you'd have to subscribe first to have access to this.

2. archdaw profile image62
    archdawposted 6 years ago

Thank you adelcosgrovebray for your knowledge I will go there right now.