jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (19 posts)

Hug your kids

1. samboiam profile image62
    samboiamposted 6 years ago

If you have your children with you give them a hug. One of my boys school mates was killed in an automobile accident this evening. She was 16.

Appreciate your children while you have them. They can be taken from us so quickly.

1. rebekahELLE profile image92
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

so sad. I can't imagine the heartbreak.

never stop hugging them, even as they become young adults/adults.

even in their 20's, we always hug to greet/goodbye and I still say, drive safely.  the other day I heard my youngest say it to his girlfriend as she left the house.

2. tobey100 profile image60
      tobey100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Always have, always will but thanks for the reminder.

2. H.C Porter profile image85
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

Great suggestion that every parent should take every chance they get. We really don't know for sure that the people we love & cherish the most, will be around tomorrow-nor do we know for sure, that we will. Taking every chance you can to say I love you & show your support/admiration & love can never be considered a mistake (no one ever says-"I showed too often how much I cared" but do say "I should of spent more time & showed them how I truly felt-now ill never have the chance". I know this from experience-although I knew his(my sons) end was nearing-i wish I would have said I love you & told him all the wonderful things I saw in him, much more often (and I said it everyday of his life- he was only 2).
    Great suggestion to make in a thread-had to go kiss my kiddos goodnight one more time. smile

3. AEvans profile image74
    AEvansposted 6 years ago

Oh how sad, we hug ours all of the time our prayers are with your sons family. smile

4. Shalini Kagal profile image80
    Shalini Kagalposted 6 years ago

That's tragic, samboiam - so young!
    Yes, it's so important - even when they're at the stage when they feel self conscious and don't hug you back - they still need a hug and need to be told and shown how much we love them!

5. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

I had yet another lesson in the importance of hugging kids last night. My daughter has just moved house with 5 children. It was chaotic and I did not visit until they got settled, (about two weeks.)
    The 4 year old twins both leapt on my lap when I sat down, one facing each way snuggled in each arm. They stayed like that for an hour!

My 6 year old grandson came over for a cuddle as well, presenting me with a drawing he had done especially for me.

My 12 year old granddaughter hugged me for ages, as did her 17 year old sister.

I will try not to leave it so long between visits in the future, as I realise how lucky I am to live so close, how much they missed me, and what it means to them to have a grandpa to cuddle them, even though they get all my daughters cuddles and love every day.

My daughter was concerned they may be too heavy for me all piled on me like that, and I smiled and told her that these are the moments I cherish. She tells me I let them get away with too much sometimes, but I have no concept of too much when it comes to appreciating them. The twins put the pinky finger lock on me and dragged me all over the house to show me their new rooms, the swimming pool and even the back yard, warning me not to go near the swimming pool without mummy with me!

Children are so wonderful. I feel very fulfilled as I sit here today typing this. Cant get the smile off my face! smile

6. 0
    poetlorraineposted 6 years ago

Earnesthub you are one great grandad...... equal only to me as a grandmother, hic, the party has started. 

So sad to hear of the death of a child, i will hug my kids for sure, tho it will a while before i see them

7. earnestshub profile image87

poetlorraine it is effortless! They are all perfect! lol

The death of a child is probably the greatest challenge for a human to overcome. I believe it requires a lot of help to get past such a disaster, and all my love goes out to those who suffer such a loss. sad

8. earnestshub profile image87

I see you got your 500! Congratulations! smile

1. 0
      poetlorraineposted 6 years ago in reply to this

looks like everyone is annoyed with me, no one wants to come to my party weeps..... you can bring your grandchildren

1. earnestshub profile image87
        earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

OK but I must warn you, they will not tolerate one bad word against grandpa! smile You found my soft spot! smile
        The eldest twin will cross examine you as she does me. A lawyer in the making! lol

9. Shalini Kagal profile image80
    Shalini Kagalposted 6 years ago

@ Ernest - what a wonderful grandfather you are!
    We really do need to cherish and love whenever we can, don't we?

Absolutely right! Who could not love children? I love everyone's children! lol
      Thank you for the lovely compliment. That means more to me than You may know. The pinnacle of my being! smile

10. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 6 years ago

I hug my girls all the time, even though they are both taller than I am now and it sometimes embarrasses them.  I also tell them I love them all the time and even send text messages to them with XOXOXOXXO hugs and kisses from mom.  I slobber all over my little grandson too.  As far as I'm concerned, you can't ever tell your kids or your spouse or your parents if you are still lucky enough to have them "I LOVE YOU" too often.

Beautiful! How can you miss? I have never seen a child damaged by too much love! You are very smart in the most important way! Luv Ya! smile

11. 0
    ralwusposted 6 years ago

That is always terrible news to me, so sad. Mine are all grown up, but I still hug and kiss them when they visit ole dad and the grandkids too. I adopted seven neighbor kids that we love to death and spoil now. Love children, our future.

Spot on ralwus! Very very nice to know you love children so much. Speaks volumes! smile

12. Daniel Carter profile image92
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Life for me, growing up, was a war zone. There wasn't much affection at all. I married and had two great kids. Each morning I woke up at 5 am and before I left the house, I hugged and kissed the kids while they slept. "Dad, don't! I'm sleeping!"

Fast forward, and I'm divorced and my kids won't have anything to do with me for 4 years.

Everyone of those hugs and kisses kept ME from crumbling and dying. Now I'm reunited with my kids who are both married. I hug and kiss them any time I can.

There is so much heartbreak in life. When you consider how quickly all our circumstances can change instantly, it makes me wonder how much of our defense and anger toward each other is really worth it. It's something I think about a lot.