jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

The New Suggested Links Tool (For Those in the Trial)

1. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

For those of us who are testing out the new suggested links tool on Hubpages, what do you think to it?
    I have only been messing around with it for an hour, however I have to admit I am pretty impressed, it seems to provide a much simpler way to link to other hubs, especially when you previously had to scroll through a list of Hundreds of hubs.

It also makes it much simpler to find other related hubs from your favorite authors, which I really do love!

My only real suggestions would be

1)Have another button which pops up another box allowing you to edit the advanced settings (Alt Tag, Target="blank" and so forth). This way you get the best of both worlds, simple link building, with the option of editing the advanced link settings.

2) Allow inclusion of trackers, I know you didn't design them to be used internally, but I know that I would probably link to more other hubbers if there was a slightly greater chance that I would earn something from it!  Adding the ability to add link trackers easily in the linking tools (both of them) will just facilitate what many of the top hubbers seem to be currently doing anyway, which will leave them with more free time to write articles, and make us all some money!

3) Make the layout a little simpler, I spent 20 seconds clicking the link with nothing happening before I realised I had to click on the bullet point to the left, it might be easier for new people to get to grips with the tool if clicking the link added it in to the article as well!

Anyway, I hope these suggestions are useful, and I would also be interested in knowing what other people think

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love it - and especially the way it gives you a preview of the site - I didn't realize it was a trial though! I agree with the points you make though - I know I can go back and go into the advanced options, add my tracker etc - but I'm lazy!

thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You should have received an email from Paul Deeds, explains it all!

1. SimeyC profile image87

LOL I got an email - of course I skipped through it in my excitement and didn't see the bit about it being a trial!

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

I do like the feature and have already added some relative links.
    some of the words highlighted had no suggestions and one of them suggested a link to another of my own hubs which was not relevant to the topic.

I like the way the link opens to the hub and the author to read through them first to make sure you want to link together.

in regard to your 3) I recall it says to the right (black box) exactly where to click. I just followed that.

I've only gone through a couple hubs as of now, but so far I like the feature and will use it if I feel the link will really help add to the content.

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to use email rather than forum posting. smile  actually I'm trying to stay out of the forums today so I can get some work done. lol

3. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

E-mail might be best, I am just throwing this out there to see what others think!

I am getting married on Saturday so haven't had much time to explore it!

I missed the big black box, guess i should pay more attention!

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

congrats on the wedding! I can imagine you have other things on your mind now.  big_smile
      my oldest son is getting married in Nov.

yes, it's nice to see what others think.

2. SimeyC profile image87

Congrats on the wedding btw - my daughter is giving birth to my first Grandson either tomorrow or satueday!

thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Heh lots of joy in the world right now, congratulations to both your daughter and Rebekah's son!

4. wavegirl22 profile image48
    wavegirl22posted 6 years ago

I am really loving it. And what I really like is that I am coming across other Hubbers who I dont know if I would have "met" them had I not been "turned" on to their Hubs. I already have used it and have linked quite a few. I cant wait to play with it some more.

Great suggestions thisisoli . .I agree with you on all counts!

5. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Re: how the suggested link tool adds links

I have to say I don't want the tool altered so that clicking the displayed Hub title adds it as a link to your Hub, as that would make it too easy to add links that I was just in the process of examining.  I think the "plus button" method is just fine in that regard.

6. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago

yes. I agree.

7. Kathryn Vercillo profile image87
    Kathryn Vercilloposted 6 years ago

Anyone else having problems with the "suggested links" tool? It works right most of the time for me but occasionally has some weird quirk when I use it. It will change my whole hub so that some of the words run together.

Here's an example of a paragraph from a hub that was affected this way (it was written with correct spacing and has been published fine for a long time but after I used the tool it looked like this:)

"Youmight not always think of these people as potential dates. You don’t fantasizeabout them being the mothers of your children or playing the lion in yourbedroom fantasies. But you notice them, subtly. There are people all around you- at the grocery store, at the bookstore, on public transportation, in theelevator, at the park. Every time that you step out of your house, youencounter people who could be your potential life partner if you took the timeto consider them as such."

8. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

I've always followed the advice of Sunforged and Darkside, and avoided non-paying links in the text of my Hubs - I don't see hw anything that tempts my readers to click away from my ads can be a good thing!

I did notice in the email that ultimately, there will be other incentives to use the tool.  I do think having your tracker automatically added would be great.