jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

A Hub Within A Hub?

1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 6 years ago

I came across a hub which dealt with a primary or main topic. Yet it had links that allowed the reader to explore an aspect of the topic in more details by clicking a link. The author shared the view that hubs are to be short- 600 words or less. However, by linking capsules, the topic could be explored in more details. Did I misunderstand? Please help. I am a 'marathon' writer who would like to try some 'sprinting' hubs with linked capsules.

1. MyWebs profile image84
      MyWebsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I love to link within a hub to other related hubs of mine, and other hubber's hubs, so they can get related info. I hate the links capsule and avoid it like the plague.

I feel 400 -800 words in the minimum for a hub, with longer being better. I think 1,000 - 1,500 words is a good target to shoot for. The more content a hub has the better the chances of it ranking better on the search engines with all else being equal.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There's no benefit in keeping Hubs short.  Who was the author? Had they been on HP a long time? 

Nelle Hoxie, who is one of our gurus, recommends Hubs over 800 words and preferably 1,500. 

Sunforged says you can compensate for short Hubs by interlinking them - but they still need to be at least 400 words and on related subject.s

2. Super Chef profile image66
    Super Chefposted 6 years ago

I agree with mywebs on this one, the more content your hub contains the more likely it will rank on google.

3. Appletreedeals profile image83
    Appletreedealsposted 6 years ago

My opinion - Just that ... It depends on your purpose for the hub.

For monetization - I think short hubs, 400 - 800 words, interlinked with other relevant hubs is a great idea. You have more hubs, hence more adsense and hubber exposure, and a hub that covers the basics of a subject, but not every last detail of that subject encourages clicks for further information.

I don't think this is "short-changing" the reader, it is just smart marketing. This is especially true for ebay and Amazon focused hubs where you want to provide the information the reader searched for, but not so much as to diminish the visibility of the product mods.

But ... (yes there is always a but)

Longer hubs, "Flagship Hubs", also work for other purposes:
    1. Testimonial/Review hubs promoting products
    2. How-to hubs that include product promotion

and of course longer hubs are fine for:
    1. pure writing
    2. story telling
    3. how-to and informational hubs

any hub can benefit from interlinking, regardless of purpose. IMO

So you see, the correct anser is Yes/No/Maybe

4. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 6 years ago

Thanks to all of you for the comments. I need to Bookmark/Favourite more so that I can have a point of reference.