jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (11 posts)

Aboriginal Deaths inCustody

1. barryrutherford profile image35
    barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago

I am really frustrated and angry I have just posted a hub about an Aboriginal Death in Custody in 2004 in which me and others have been following since then !.  our worst fears of the case have been realised.

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I paid attention to a local case of a young aboriginal man in Canada (22 yrs) at the time that died in police custody.  No drugs/alcohol involved.  For more than 10 years, I'd read his mother's memorial ad in the paper basically stating each anniversary of his death that police were at fault.  Lucky me I met her twice - once when she was showing her late son's vintage vehicle at a car show.  Even at the car show she was making a statement on his behalf - had a sign saying something about who owned it and that he died in police custody - so of course I had to speak to her to let her know I was paying attention to what she was doing.  Ran into her again about 3 years ago, we had coffee, the police privately apologized by paying her $'s and started an educational fund at the local university in his memory.  She couldn't disclose the sum - all she wanted was for the police to accept responsibility.  Her persistance paid off - his name was Anthony Dawson - beautiful young man whose life ended way too soon just because he was aboriginal!  No police were charged in that case.  And they kept it out of the media as much as possible.  I will never forget his name - hope you remember him too.

2. earnestshub profile image88
    earnestshubposted 6 years ago

Funny thing about human beings. We have done this to our aboriginal brothers and sisters, the real custodians and owners of our land.
    To do so in modern supposedly democratic countries such as Australia, America and Canada speaks volumes about the incapacity  of the people to even ensure their police forces observe basic human rights.
    In the long haul, politicians will do what the majority want them to do, and if that means being selfish and ignoring minority cultures or worse, exploiting them rather than confronting the problem, that is what we will get. No changes. No heart. Money wasted.

I wish our nations would gain in humanity and get human rights issues within the legal system working for all of us. Our police in the cities in Australia have been connected with major crimes, and the country police are often narrow minded  underneath a public face that disappears down the local pub with the boys having a few too many drinks.

3. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

Deaths in custody or during 'apprehension' is awful not to mention psychologically traumatizing to the younger generation. The lack of and continued practice of not addressing or accepting responsibility for pointless deaths- only serves to create another generation of suspicion between the gov'ts and Aboriginals. There is great appreciation for the support from those that do genuinely care and hope that some forgiveness be extended even to the extremists. smile Not all Aboriginals are of the same tribe tongue lol

4. barryrutherford profile image35

thanks for your posts so far i have been following this case since 2004 and i was prepared to give the police the benefit of the doubt now i am outraged !

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

As I am!

5. barryrutherford profile image35

indeed thanks ernesthub i cannot let this slide by

1. earnestshub profile image88
      earnestshubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Barry did Crickey dot com have anything to say on it?

1. barryrutherford profile image35
        barryrutherfordposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i am not a crikey subscriber

6. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 6 years ago

these are difficult situations as the gate keepers to the information are normally the wrong doers or those suspected of wrong doing

7. barryrutherford profile image35

As  i just said on my  hub the mistreatment of Aboriginees dates backto the invasion and white settlement of Australia in 1788 unfortunatel a cultural norm developed which allowed the police to continue to mistreat Aborigines to this day..

working