jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

A "Rating Each Other" group?

1. yowzaa profile image61
    yowzaaposted 9 years ago

I am a member of a marketing group that includes squidoo. They have a link called "squidoo 6": Here's how it works: There are 6 lenses for you to click on and rate. Once you have rated all 6 a box at the bottom opens up and you are permitted to add your own lens. You take the #1 position and #6 drops off so there is always 6 links showing.

This works amazing well! I have made top 50 in people for one lens (a short time) and am in top 100 in people for two dating lenses. I am new and have tons of experienced dating lens competition so I think this definitely helps.

My suggestion is, of course, for someone to come up with a similar member site for the same purpose; only for hubpages. BTW, I am getting good traffic from squidoo to my website that promotes a dating service. I am hoping to do the same here.

If something like this already exists please inform!

2. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

This sounds mostly like a way to cooperatively inflate the group members' lens ranks by generating "false" page views and ratings.  I'm not sure we'd look favorably on such a scheme at HubPages.  My apologies, if I have misunderstood the concept or the intent.

3. sporsfanX profile image69
    sporsfanXposted 9 years ago

It's probably for the best to avoid anything that squidoo does.  It's defiinitely an artificial way to boost pageviews and ratings.

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Squidoo Inc are like HubPages. They're trying to do the right thing.

This thing that he's describing is something that the marketing group that yowzaa is a part of does. It is their initiative.

It's certainly not sanctioned or encouraged by Squidoo HQ.

4. yowzaa profile image61
    yowzaaposted 9 years ago

Sorry, I guess I assumed this was standard practice. It seems so at squidoo but come to think of it, it's probably against their TOS too, have no idea though. Sorry I brought it up.

5. embitca profile image82
    embitcaposted 9 years ago

Yep, and if you'll visit the Squidoo forums you'll see that their avid users hate this kind of activity. It's considered gaming the system.  Right now, it seems like Hubpages is not drowning in the spammy and scammy crap that Squidoo is suffering and it would be nice if it stayed that way.

6. yowzaa profile image61
    yowzaaposted 9 years ago

When I said I thought it was standard practice I meant they have at the squidoo forums groups that openly advertise that they rate each other. Now obviously squid lets them get away with it. I am new to this but I figured it was all part of the "game". I am now seeing this in a whole new light. Forgive me but I still see this whole IM thing as a game, or as some sort of fantasy bubble, and the pin is ever so close...

1. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Your Squidoo lenses or groups can now get shut down for pushing the idea of ratings swaps.

7. TomChessOpenings profile image61
    TomChessOpeningsposted 8 years ago

Hubpages has it's advantages over Squidoo, but I still use both.

8. thecounterpunch profile image58
    thecounterpunchposted 8 years ago

Whereas I am for a forum for posting hubpages link

It is not for me for marketing promotion purpose but rather an easy way to get notified by interesting links whereas the scheme described in this post is for marketing promotion, I'm not for.