jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Isn't This Rather Insulting?

1. TLMinut profile image61
    TLMinutposted 6 years ago

Lately, I've been seeing magazine ads and forms that say:

Your subscription  to (our magazine) is automatic with receipt of your payment!

Oh, wow, I'm so thrilled! If I send an order form and money, I can automatically get what I order?! What an incredible deal- nothing like all the hoops I always had to jump through before where I had to order and send money!

I don't get insulted all that easily but this is ridiculous.

1. 0
      pburgerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

IMHO - you could view the message as a true insult to your intelligence, but only if you respond with anything but humor

2. 0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 6 years ago

I would bet that if this statement was absent--then consumers would emai the question, "I just paid for my magazine, when will you mail it?"

3. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

I worked for a company that published a (free) newsletter-magazine and, trust me, even when the magazine is free, and it is clearly states on the form that they will receive their magazine within 4 - 6 weeks, people do ask anyway. Almost every other subscription form we took in contained the question "When will I receive the magazine?"

To me, that is part and parcel with having to protect yourself by printing "Caution, Contains Hot Liquid" on the side of a coffee cup so someone can't sue you for scalding them with the hot coffee they just ordered.

It may seem insulting to a lot of people, especially to those who actually read labels and instructions, and expect certain, logical consequences to our actions - like receiving a magazine that we just paid for, or scalding our tongues if we drink the coffee when it's too hot - but the cry of many in response to the consequences of their actions is "Nobody told me that!"

"God bless us every one"