jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Extremely Limited: Advertising Disadvantage

1. Glenn Raymond profile image59
    Glenn Raymondposted 6 years ago

I started hubing just recently and it is a lot of fun.  I have google adsense, which would be great except they do not customize their ads to my content. Drywall Tools and Grilling so far and there is a lot more to come.  However, Amazon will not let me get their ads, because I live in Colorado.  They say that Colorado, North Carolina and (Rhode Island, I believe) are excluded.  Ebay, is just flat out being a royal pain.  I am not certain that Kontera would be worth the effort.  I love writing, but I have little knowledge (if any) about code, so URL Tracking still makes no sense to me when all the other blogs I am on will not allow such things.  And I hear around here that everyone does it, but I still do not understand where, how or when.  Any suggestions?

1. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You've just identified THE BIG SHORTCOMING of trying to make money on HP, if you live in a state that Amazon does not allow and are not already an affiliate of ebay.

There are other affiliates that try and use affilite links from other programs from places like Shareasale. That's too awkward for me here, I just have my own sites for those.

Although if you thought about it, you might figure out how to make a nice living from Adsense alone.

Glenn Raymondposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for your input.  When I read this it promted me to spend several hours coming up with ways to draw attention to my hubs.  So you have been inspiring.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Don't judge the Adsense ads by what you see when you first publish your Hubs.  It takes a while for Google to work out what your Hubs are about.

1. Misha profile image75
        Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Marisa, you are spreading misinformation, sorry. One of drywall hubs is too short by HP standards - just around 150 words - but it is more than enough for Adsense to pick up the topic. Right now it has relevant ads - which proves the point that Paul made several times: hubs have to have some daily traffic for ads to stay relevant, otherwise adsense forgets about their topic and drops site-wide generic ads there when occasional visitor comes. Obviously the hub got some traffic lately, and ads became relevant.

And the second drywall hub is around 600 words, which is sufficient by any measure...

2. Dame Scribe profile image61
    Dame Scribeposted 6 years ago

Creating a tracker isnt hard to do. When you publish your Hub, you get a big blue box saying congratulations, published new hub, etc and 2 links. Copy n paste those in a file on your computer. Add a tracker -

h t t p: // hubpages . com/ _ abc/hub/ titleofhub

The little 'underscore abc' is where your tracker will be. Hope that helps. smile

Glenn Raymondposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Blessings and thank you for the help.  This does help me a lot.  Every little thing counts, and I am gathering that this is actually a bigger thing.

3. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the correction, Misha - we learn something new every day.  I've edited my post.

When I looked at the Hubs, the ads weren't relevant.