Search term analytics now available on hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 88 discussions (131 posts)
  1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 13 years ago

Fresh on the heels of accolades, we've just released another new feature that I'm pretty excited about.  You can now see the top search terms that people are using to reach your hubs broken out by search engine.  To see it in action, just navigate to one of your popular hubs, click on "Stats" and then "Keywords".  The data will generally be refreshed once a day.

1. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now there's something really useful! Thanks!!

2. Dense profile image60
      Denseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Great new feature, already adding in newly discovered keywords. wink
      Is it possible to add in keywords for the last 1 day (or 7 days) as well? I'd always wanted to see whether recent additions in keywords have any effect on a hub and don't know how to do this in analytics. smile
      Pretty please? big_smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Did you read Paul's post warning you not to go adding all the keywords?

1. Dense profile image60

Yes Marisa, but I believe he was referring to tags but I added them in the post itself. smile
          Let me know if I still need to be careful not to overdo this.
          I am not really into keyword stuffing, just added in the odd one or two that I think is relevant to my page. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
            Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah OK that makes sense!

1. Dense profile image60

big_smile

2. MyWebs profile image78
          MyWebsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I surely plan to better target the keywords that are working that are worthwhile now that the data is easier to view. Of course like Paul was implying, you don't want to go overboard either.

Then again for the more competitive keywords one must often flirt with the boundaries to get top rankings. In my opinion your living on a razors edge when your top 3 on Google. Your content must be highly optimized to get there, but go a bit too far and your penalized. Worse yet no one knows exactly what all the rules are.

3. Jennifer James profile image56
      Jennifer Jamesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry guys I am pretty new to this   How does this work?  Sorry for being a blond bimbo

1. Dense profile image60

When you click on "Stats" at the top of a hub page, you will now be able to see a new "Keywords" tab. smile

2. Dobson profile image75
        Dobsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You may not see it unless your hub has reached 75 hub score, thus being seen by the search engines.

1. MyWebs profile image78

The 75 hub score you mention is wrong on 2 counts. The author must maintain a 75 author score for outgoing links to be "Do Follow" links on all of their hubs.

Individual  hub scores must be at least 45 to have "Do Follow" links. Even if a hub were to have  the "No Follow" attribute added to its links this would in no way effect a search engine's ability to "see" your hub.

"No Follow" simply tells the search engines which use this attribute not to follow the outgoing links and pass along PageRank to the web page that is linked to. Google is the main search engine which uses the "No Follow"  attribute.

4. Jule Romans profile image94
      Jule Romansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WOW thanks!

5. gramarye profile image61
      gramaryeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is really useful - thanks for such a great addition to our toolboxes!

6. Singular Investor profile image70
      Singular Investorposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cool ! Thanks for the heads up

7. profile image0
      selrachposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Once again a new tool which is simple to use for us internet numpties.

Congrats.

8. Jane Grey profile image80
      Jane Greyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cool! Much simpler to use than google analytics. Thank you so much for keeping on the forefront of new technology!

9. Bendo13 profile image77
      Bendo13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just noticed that yesterday!  Great addition... I love seeing what terms are bringing people to my hubs

10. 07Angel01 profile image61
      07Angel01posted 13 years agoin reply to this

awesome idea, i love it! It should be very helpful smile

11. jaishe profile image59
      jaisheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks I will have a look.

12. pinkboxer profile image61
      pinkboxerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the helpful tools!

13. VAMPGYRL420 profile image74
      VAMPGYRL420posted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a wonderful feature! You're awesome!

Love & Light,
      Windy Grace <3

14. Andrew0208 profile image59
      Andrew0208posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Awesome! Thank you very much...I love HubPages.

15. warrioRR profile image61
      warrioRRposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When will it is available for the use???

2. profile image0
    health adviceposted 13 years ago

Brilliant!

3. Alison Graham profile image92
    Alison Grahamposted 13 years ago

Thanks, this will be a really useful tool.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
      Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So would it be a good idea to add the top terms to our tags if they are not already there?
      This looks interesting.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
        pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd be careful about doing that, it might appear to search engines that you are "over-optimizing" and it may have the opposite effect to what you intend.

One area that this data could be useful is in identifying topics that you could expand into new hubs.  For instance, maybe you got some traffic for a term that you only touched on briefly in a hub, or even that was brought up in a comment.   A new hub that addresses that subject more completely may well be able to compete nicely for that and related terms.

OK, glad I asked. (Having a new wrench doesn't help if I use it for hammering.)

1. Alison Graham profile image92
            Alison Grahamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a great expression Rochelle, I have never heard that before (I guess because I live in UK) - as we say down here in Somerset 'I be gwain a save he up n use n!!'

I don't think I've ever heard it before, either. I was just thinking about the fact of having a new tool and using it incorrectly-- which I would have, before being set straight.

I love new sayings and ways with words, the wrench and hammer saying is so pictorial and says exactly what you mean with just a few words.  I think there could be a whole new forum topic about favourite sayings and expressions.  My mum had a saying for almost every occasion and I look forward to being able to use your saying in a conversation, I think it's really clever!

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
            Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ROFL  God, you are so me.  lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

2. Bendo13 profile image77
        Bendo13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I wouldn't add them in... if you're already getting traffic from those terms then you don't really need to add them to your tags do you?

They already show up in the results for the terms so I'd keep it as is. 

But it would help give you an idea as to how people search for certain topics and how they word things

4. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

http://images.buycostumes.com/mgen/merchandiser/29615.jpg 

love it!!

5. Jen's Solitude profile image87
    Jen's Solitudeposted 13 years ago

Oh wow! It is fun to have so many different tools to be excited about. Thanks so much.

6. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Wow - I'm impressed. Another cool tool. Love that you pick up on the details, the different ways to help the users and the site to gain a better footing by way of an overstuffed Hubtool Box. Cool ... and thankyou smile

7. Mike Lickteig profile image75
    Mike Lickteigposted 13 years ago

This is terrific.  I can't wait to check it out!

8. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 13 years ago

Thank you, for the neat tools you are coming up with.

You say, ‘The data will generally be refreshed once a day’. Shall we be able to see the cumulative total per month for the top search terms?

On my most popular hub I can already see how many times each keyword has brought me a view for the last 30 days, or say it says. My numbers would indicate it's really more like 2 weeks of data so far.

So yes there is a cumulative total for each keyword.

9. Polly C profile image89
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

This is great, I've just checked it out smile

10. Rafini profile image81
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

Wow, this is super!  Thanks HP Team!!  I now know of a few article themes to go with in my writing.  Super, just super!  smile

11. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

Great Job! Everyone at HP is doing such nice work.

12. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 13 years ago

I just noticed this and came straight to the forums.

AWESOME!!!

Thank you!!

13. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 13 years ago

This is one feature i have long been expecting. At least i will save myself the stress of going to google analytics to get this.
    Brilliant work from hubpages.

I'm glad it's not just me that finds Analytics a bit stressful!

14. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 13 years ago

COOL!  Super Cool.  This is an excellent tool.  THANKS.

15. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 13 years ago

nicely done guys
    big_smile

thanks

16. englightenedsoul profile image58
    englightenedsoulposted 13 years ago

Amazing feature!!  I love it...

17. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 13 years ago

I am feeling overhelmed! That is so cool!!! Thanks bunches! smile

18. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

Love it! It's kind of a pain to wade through this info on Google analytics. This has it all laid out for you. Thanks!

19. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 13 years ago

This is pretty much exactly like what I requested not too long ago. Thank You, Thank You! This is so much easier to see it all on one page than digging all through Google Analytics. Now I can easily find which keywords are working and tweak as needed.

Any chance of getting a real time Ajax feed that aggregates all our hub's keywords to one page like I use on my web sites? smile j/k the bandwidth usage would kill hubpages's servers. It is a cool SEO toy to have though.

20. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

A very nice addition!

relache said "Analytics provides so much better keyword information, I don't think it would be worth HubPages' time to reinvent that "wheel.""

When I suggested this you basically said it was a bad idea. When they actually do this now it's very good, which is it????? big_smile

The KISS programming methodology wins again! KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid, which is the exact opposite of Google Analytics.

21. embitca profile image83
    embitcaposted 13 years ago

Thank you! This is awesome. It will be so much quicker than logging into Analytics to check keywords. Great addition smile

22. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

Thank you, finally a change that helps me be more productive. More of this kind of stuff please. Just put it through it's paces and it really helped me judge the effectiveness of some new strategies.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Definitely agree to this!

Analytics was always so complicated.

23. Don Simkovich profile image60
    Don Simkovichposted 13 years ago

I just saw this today and I thought "wow" this is great. It shows the phrases and whether they're from Google, etc. I do use Google Analytics for a couple of sites of mine and I wondered about putting some of my Hubs on Analytics, too. But this not only takes of that it also gives me ideas on topics to write. Thanks!

24. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

What a fantastic new feature!!! I'm soooooo lovin' this!  Thanks!!!!  HP just keeps getting better and better!!

25. Csjun89 profile image59
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

This is great, less need to log into analytics every day!

26. tonymac04 profile image71
    tonymac04posted 13 years ago

Thanks very much for this helpful new feature. Now I think I will learn in a practical way about key words. Congrats also on the new look profile page. It's also great.
    Love and peace
    Tony

27. Anamika S profile image69
    Anamika Sposted 13 years ago

Wow! This is fantastic!

28. zotophe profile image60
    zotopheposted 13 years ago

Keywords playing a key role here too. And I simply ignored various websites who specializes in keyword related issues. Wonder now how much all the words, that I had written in my hubs, depends so much on one key for each. I begin to fear that these are the keys for my mind too. And to all those who writes here. Interesting!

29. Susana S profile image92
    Susana Sposted 13 years ago

Just saw this new feature and I think it's great - it's already helped me improve one of my hubs! Many thanks HP team - another fab addition smile

30. theirishobserver. profile image61
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

Good idea - and I like the idea that you have taken time to explian to people like myself who are not so technical smile

31. Sufidreamer profile image78
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

Fantastic innovation, folks - the best one that I have seen in my time at Hubpages. I have a few Hubs that do not attract enough traffic and this will really help with the tweaking. smile

32. profile image0
    Hovalisposted 13 years ago

This is great! I just checked one of my more popular hubs and the keywords gave me all kinds of new ideas! It's good to see that, by the keywords used, that the traffic I'm getting to that hub is the type I intended as well. :-)

Now I'm going to check some more!!

33. easyspeak profile image68
    easyspeakposted 13 years ago

just discovered it...wow, nice.

34. 2uesday profile image66
    2uesdayposted 13 years ago

When I saw this new feature on the hub stats I was not sure how I would use it. Returning to it and looking at how it works on some of my older HubPages I can see how useful this will be. It is so handy to have it there on the stats of the hub. Thank you very much. I appreciate this new feature and will try to make good use of it.

35. jasonycc profile image69
    jasonyccposted 13 years ago

hmmm... not too sure how to use it to my advantage at this point. but no worries, i will learn from more experienced hubbers here. Many of them are generous with their knowledge.

1. Jule Romans profile image94
      Jule Romansposted 13 years ago

Thanks again for this useful tool. As a new writer, I used it to learn what was actually working in EACH hub. this helped me learn more about SEO from direct experience.

A few weeks ago I posted about feeling overwhelmed. Since that time HubPages has really helped me begin to learn more. Helpful people, great new tools, the 60DC, and tons of relevant new hubs have all been great learning tools for me.

...A BIG "Thank you!" to the staff and active, professional members here at HP.

2. Jerilee Wei profile image68
      Jerilee Weiposted 13 years ago

Extremely useful for me.  Thanks!

3. Simple Tim profile image57
      Simple Timposted 13 years ago

Fantastic new feature! Great work team hubpages!

4. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Way Cool!!! I love it! Thanks guys!

(May use these keywords to write a few more hubs. I mean my top ones are top for a reason apparently, so why not write a few more on the topic and use keywords that people search.)

1. Research Analyst profile image74
        Research Analystposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is a great idea Whitney. I think that was the motivation behind the new tool, which is great.

5. soni2006 profile image76
      soni2006posted 13 years ago

But it's not available for old hubs, I can see this feature only in newly published hubs.

I think you will only find it on hubs that are currently getting moderate to good traffic.

2. Whitney05 profile image83

Really? I've checked about 4 hubs from 2007 and a few recent ones, and they all feature the searched terms. If you're not getting good traffic, then you probably won't see any searched terms because the data will be limited. Check your more popular hubs and hubs that get more views.

6. KCC Big Country profile image83
      KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

It's looking at traffic in the last 30 days.  On hubs with no traffic in the last 30 days, it has no data.  All my old ones with even only a view or two have data. 

Edit:  Just went back and checked and it appears that they have to have had at least 2 pageviews in the last 30 days.  I couldn't find data on any of them that had only 1 pageview, but could on 2.

7. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 13 years ago

Oh dear, I've just checked my top trafficked hubs and have written down enough titles of new hubpages from the keyword search terms to keep me busy to the tune of at least 223 more hubpages...back to work then for me!!!!lol!

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What a nice "problem" to have!  Congrats!  I changed a title or two on my existing hubs based on this new data.

1. waynet profile image68
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah I've re-jigged a few tags and stuff since.

Just gotta start work on these new hubpages now, no time like the present!!

2. Whitney05 profile image83

Ha... I did the same thing... Or at least had the idea to do so. I opened a new hub from on of my popular existing ones, using a title from one of the terms found on my list of search terms. When I finish the many I have in my to-do's and my growing notebook of organized series, I'll hopefully get around to making another list in my notebook using search terms found on my more popular hubs.

HubPages is making busy bee's out of many...

Busy bee's who should be writing papers and not playing on hubpages and on line. :-/ Ha... Yes, I have a paper I'm supposed to be working on; I need about 4 more pages by Sunday, although ideally in 30 minutes before I get off work. ha

1. waynet profile image68
          waynetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm lucky I've got nothing better to do other than writing hubpage content and ebooks for online businesses, work is underway on them 223 hubpages aswell as the 60+ unpublished hubpages in my account dashboard....I like it when Hubpages makes new stuff to get us busy and also keep us motivated with new tools and the recent accolades which was nice.

Good luck with your papers and hubpages whitney!

8. weblog profile image57
      weblogposted 13 years ago

Thanks team.. It's a great tool..! smile

9. WeddingConsultant profile image65
      WeddingConsultantposted 13 years ago

This is an awesome addition. Thank you HP team!

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

this is such a fun feature. so handy to check and as others have said, it gives us great ideas on writing hubs that can be linked together. I have found some great ideas for new hubs. also helps me see what I could add to the hub.

thanks HP! big_smile

11. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Excellent enhancement.... cheers smile

12. profile image0
      wordscribe41posted 13 years ago

Hubteam, this is fantastic!  Thank you all so much, it really makes things easier.

13. Zsuzsy Bee profile image86
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

This is really great. Thank you.

14. ns1209 profile image63
      ns1209posted 13 years ago

This is really helpful and will help me get more traffic.  Although I do have Google Analytics I find it a little fiddly and it is nice having everything in one place!  Thanks for making the site even better!

15. Research Analyst profile image74
      Research Analystposted 13 years ago

This is a very useful tool and like it has been mentioned will help in expanding upon a popular topic for greater quality contribution.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)