Hub was "Overly Promotional" Question

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. Conflagrant profile image61
    Conflagrantposted 13 years ago

Hi,

Let me just say first of all I love hubpages and have enjoyed my time here.  This isn't a moan, I just need a clarification.

I recently had a hub unpublished as it was "overly promotional" as I had included two links to a site I admit that I own and also an RSS feed to the same site.  No complaints, I just didn't know that what I had done was wrong. 

I was trying to follow the "flagship hubs" style of creating a hub and included and RSS feed I knew was relevant (as I own it).

When can I include an RSS feed from my own site?  More specifically, does including the RSS feed mean I cannot include a link back to my own site other than the RSS, or can it be one text link and one RSS feed?

I just want to stay on the right side of the rules here as hubpages has been good to me.

(The hub has since had the RSS feed removed and has been resubmitted by the way.)

Best wishes to all.

2. SiddSingh profile image59
    SiddSinghposted 13 years ago

Hi Dave,

Did you read what Maddie Ruud (she is HubPages staff) has writen about overly promotional hubs?

Btw, welcome to HP!

Conflagrantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sidd Singh,

Thank you for your welcome and the link.  smile

I have just read the hub you linked to.  It was very helpful generally and the author seems to have almost infinite patience.  An impression I got after reading the comments on her page! ;-)

However I only really want to know one thing as I think I understand the rest:  Two links to one site - fair enough.  But can I link once in text and one RSS feed or does the RSS feed preclude any other links to the same site?  My gut feeling is that it does, but I haven't seen it explained explicitly anywhere.

If including an RSS feed does mean that I cannot link to the same site elsewhere in the text then the simplest answer is not to include RSS feeds at all, as a link in the text will always be 100% on topic and an RSS feed might not.

This is the policy I have followed previously and I have never had a hub flagged before.  Two links per article is entirely reasonable and it is something I am used to from writing for EzineArticles anyway.

The only reason it has happened now is that I wanted to include more content on my hub pages like video, images and RSS feeds, links and stuff, but I clearly did not understand the rules here. 

No big deal.  You live and learn. :-)

Thanks for replying. 

I think I will mail the team and ask directly.

Conflagrantposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Feeling kinda dumb right now!  lol

Just re-read the hubpage email before mailing the team and it says that including an RSS feed precludes another link to the same domain.  It doesn't use those words, but I "get it" now. 

It is an either/or choice.

3. angela_michelle profile image95
    angela_michelleposted 13 years ago

You can only have two outside hubpage links on your page. It sounds like you had three, which is why it was considered overly promotional. By taking away one of them, you would be able to get it republished. I did the exact same thing awhile ago, and didn't realize that it was considered three links!

4. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 13 years ago

Having an RSS feed and a single link both to the same site is considered over promotional as well if I remember correctly.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny, I'm sure I was told that an RSS feed counted as one link, so you could have one more link in the text.  I've got exactly that situation on a couple of old Hubs. 

However, I got an overly promotional warning on one of my recent Hubs where I did that, so maybe something has changed.

1. janices7 profile image67
        janices7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa -
        The rules must have changed  because I just got an e-mail from Hubpages stating that one of my hubs was overly promotional.  I went through and counted and didn't have more than 2 links to any one domain.  However I did have one link to a wedding blog in the text body and then an RSS feed for that same blog.  I thought that would count as two links, but I kept getting marked overly promotional.

Therefore, I re-read the rules again and found this:
        "* Your hub may not contain an RSS feed that directs to the same site as a link within the body of the hub"

Guess you can't have a link in the body with an RSS feed to the same blog or site.
        Janice

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)