Your Incentive to Write is?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (33 posts)
  1. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

I write mainly for my own enjoyment...just to see if I can do it.
    If ya publish and no one reads and comments, what's the purpose in publishing?
    Or if some read and don't respond, I see that lots on my stuff, what's the incentive to write hubs and publish?
    Is it just ego? i.e. "Hey I'm a published writer!"

1. Rombie1986 profile image60
      Rombie1986posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think your right, it's for enjoyment. If you can't have fun doing what you do then why do it? I am a writer and I love writing and sharing my work with others. That is what I am doing now. If people don't read what I publish, it's okay. I still love the random comments about how people love my stuff and that helps me push on. I don't think anyone should write for ego. That is just rediculous. To be a good writer, the bottom line is that you have to love what you do on here and have fun with it. It's my own little world away from the real world. People say you can get lost in a good book, the same can be said about writing if your really into it.

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

HubPages has let me turn my writing, something I just love doing, into a viable means of paying my rent without having to deal with deadlines, topics I'm not genuinely interested in or having to get out of my pajamas.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol It's weird but I just can't work in my pajamas/dressing gown.  I have to get dressed, otherwise I'm not in the correct psychological frame of mind.  Even if my day attire consists of tatty old leggings and an ancient T-shirt and fleece.

1. qwark profile image61
        qwarkposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I write with no pants on...naked from the waste down.
        A sign on my front door says: "owner wears nothing from waist down...enter at your own risk" lolol

1. profile image0
          EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Way, waaaaaay too much information lol

2. kmackey32 profile image64
          kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my. Do not go to his house....lmao

2. blondepoet profile image67
        blondepoetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I work often first thing in the morning in my PJs, hair a bird's nest, ughh boots on. Writing makes me feel alive, happy all kinds of things.

2. qwark profile image61

Relache:
      Sounds like a good reason to me.
      I'll take a look at your writings and see if there's anything there that interests me.
      Good luck!

3. qwark profile image61

Ok Relache..I checked. Nothing of interest to me.
      again, good luck...:-)

3. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

fulfilling a life long ambition to write - and it is not easy but it is worth while smile

1. qwark profile image61

Irish:
      After reading your pro, I can imagine that writing about your past is cathartic...
      I don't read your stuff because I'm 60 and damned tired of ignrorant, deadly, patriotic fanaticism.It slaps the observant in the face every day of every year and has for me, soured me on the majority of stupid human behavior.
      Keep on writing tho, it's cleansing.  :-)

4. Shadesbreath profile image79
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I have to write.  It's the only thing that I truly enjoy with a whole-bodied happiness that is totally my own.  HubPages gives me a place to write the little stuff, the odd stuff, the quirky things when I have no idea what to write next or need a break from my bigger projects.  Feedback is nice too.  Sometimes it feels like I'm writing in a vacuum as the rejection letters pile up, so at least at HP getting a few readers on stuff is nice.

5. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 13 years ago

I have always enjoyed writing.  I am compulsive about it and go on and on and on.  Here at HP I get to do that and some people actually read the stuff!  I have had a better reception here than anywhere in my life - am not kidding.  And my stuff is not that commercial, I don't make much money but it is easy to publish here and I am getting more and more traffic as I learn to backlink and stuff.  Just finished the latest Wacky Advice hub and am working on Chapter 7 of my fiction story.  Reason?  I don't really have to have a reason to do it - I just love it!

6. Sufidreamer profile image80
    Sufidreamerposted 13 years ago

For me, mainly for the money, although I do try to find time to write the odd Hub for pleasure.

The plan is to earn enough to gradually cut down my hours, allowing me to concentrate on writing books, my ultimate goal smile

7. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Writing is the most elemental part of who I am. I feel the need in my very bones. Always have. My biggest dream is to write a book one day, but more to inspire with my words.
    Am at the moment involved in a lot of online projects, including short stories. So, HP is just something I write for on the side. Just another creative out let... smile

p.s. Am the least interested in the commercial side of HP.. but definitely in readership.

1. qwark profile image61

Myown:
      I just read "World of Wars" and commented.
      Excellent!

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

thank you.... smile

2. profile image0
      khmohsinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed and much appreciated

8. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 13 years ago

I could go out and get roaring drunk..

I could go out and chase cute women all night (chase being the word here as I rarely catch..)

I could sit on my couch and eat chocolate and other crap and get fat(ter).

Or I can try to share some of my knowledge and experience and try to make a few quid as I do it..

9. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 13 years ago

So far...gettin' some pretty good reasons.
    Lean man, remember this: "A man chases a woman until SHE catches him."
    Women RULE!

10. waynet profile image70
    waynetposted 13 years ago

My incentive to write is split between earning money as I pay most of my bills with my online efforts and being noticed for my art for which I have an obsessed interest in and writing and drawing my own graphic novels one day...the art of earning online is over shadowing my creativity somewhat!

11. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

It give me connection if only a tenuous one.  When I write I can forget about other isues that are bothering me and sometimes write a hub about them knowing someone else other than myself will read and hopefully understand.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I write mainly to inform and to share what is on my mind --not for monetary gains,
    writing fulfills my inner being -- that of being able to share and to connect in some sort of way!
    I am happy to see and know that others can benefit from what I write!
    The topic of my hubs are diverse, for my travels I like to share the beauty in every country and culture, I love to appreciate culture and people all over the world

I also write entertainment, -- life is like a big stage where we have all a part in it -- their lives are amusing

I write about family, children, life, health --  anything which I learned and still learning from this life, I want to share it all,
    If somebody read my work and they are inspired by it or they learn something from it, it gives me fulfillment
    Writing is a cure for me when I am lonely, I can write the best poetry then!

13. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Never ask someone who writes why he writes.  You're at high risk of getting a book in reply!  lol

My motives/incentives for writing are sometimes comparable to my motives/incentives for walking or talking - different, depending on what, when, and how I'm walking or talking (or writing).  At the same time, writing is "in a category by itself".  Then, too, there's writing "in general", writing online, and writing on HubPages specifically (all different kinds of writing).  Also, there may be different incentives for writing different Hubs.   We use different kinds of walking and talking for different purposes, and I do the same with writing.

I write because I enjoy it, because it's a way to get a full- or part-time income.

Having something to say or share, hoping to be helpful to a reader somewhere, aiming to provide a little entertaining reading, enjoying putting words together, liking the click of keyboard keys, wanting to vent, hoping to increase understanding of one group of people or another, and trying to change the world are all in mix.  So is hoping to leave a "time capsule" (or sorts) for my children, grandchildren, etc,. to one day find.  (In other words, to get my ideas, values, and experiences to them "from the grave".  I think it's important for "real life" to be in writing for future generations.  Besides "history-education value", I want children and theirs to who I was, learn from my experiences, and know that I cared enough to put in the effort to do a whole lot of writing.  smile  )   Sometimes, too, I write to try to help someone else know he's not alone, whether he's going through bad things, good things, or anything else.

Challenging myself is sometimes an incentive.  Being able to get my mind off some of my own problems is another one.  Once in awhile I try write the occasional thing that I hope makes someone laugh a little (or a lot).  I also write because I enjoy debating and making arguments.  I'm not a creative person, for the most part, but sometimes doing something a little creative (like adding writing to a page with colors and music) is something I apparently need to do.  I also write because I type really quickly, so sometimes writing is a heck of lot more effortless than trying to get what I have to say out by talking.  hmm

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and there is your first chapter  boom boom !  tongue

14. Polly C profile image90
    Polly Cposted 13 years ago

I write because I've always felt the need to do so, ever since I was about eight or nine. I used to fill up an entire exercise book with one story at school. Nothing else that I do just for 'me' makes me feel as fulfilled. I like writing creatively, trying to paint a picture with words, and I quite like travel writing as well, because with that I also try to paint a picture of the different places I've been.

I like Hubpages because there are lots of other people who like writing, whereas I don't really know anyone else in the rest of my life.

15. hoodieweather profile image61
    hoodieweatherposted 13 years ago

I write to tap into the one side of me that I don't really share to anyone. My one hobby that I like to call my own.

16. cheaptrick profile image75
    cheaptrickposted 13 years ago

My incentive to write used to be to make friends on line.
    That didn't work!
    Now my incentive to write is to Annoy all you good folk!
    The more Pissed Off you get the better!
    >>>(((JUST KIDING)))<<<

17. jacobkuttyta profile image43
    jacobkuttytaposted 13 years ago

express my ideas

18. profile image0
    LEWJposted 13 years ago

Dark and stormy nights....

19. profile image50
    MrDSpadeposted 13 years ago

My incentive to write is a urge i can't describe, whatever creative thoughts hit me at that moment, an emotion that i form into words and jogged it down, pencil to paper.

20. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 13 years ago

The money.

And wearing clothes is optional.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)