jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

Yahoo Acquires Associated Content

1. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 6 years ago

AC recently made a change to the payment system to writers outside of the US, ie: not paying us anymore.

And $100 million?

That would mean that HubPages is worth a billion dollars.

1. tritrain profile image77
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

HAHA!  What a horrible investment by Yahoo, now that Google punishes "content farms".

Yahoo just can't win.

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago
  3. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 6 years ago

Thanks for the heads up!

4. derricktrance profile image61
    derricktranceposted 6 years ago

Of course,Associated Content is owned by online entreprenuers and its a better deal for them to sell the website to Yahoo.This again reminds people not to rely on one website.

5. 3Dguru profile image60
    3Dguruposted 5 years ago

Please don't be offended but here are my thoughts.  When I was in college (before I ever knew about HubPages) I would search for topics on the internet. Articles from Associated Content would often come up in Google results. I just started writing on the internet recently, back then I was only a reader.

Based on my experience of reading AC articles for many years while I was in college, I think they are crappy. At the time, I was not aware that competitors like HubPages even existed. Plus, in those years, HubPages was still a fledgling enterprise.

If Associated Content goes down, I will say "Good riddance!" Not that I wish to be mean, but it's the truth. I dislike how even short articles are broken up into many pages and loaded with advertising.  On HP you can post all text to a single page which is good for continuity. The image support on AC is so poor, it may as well be non-existent. While HP has excellent image support which is a must-have for tutorials. 

I have been a member of HubPages for only a few months, but I have read quite a few articles in that time. The overall quality of the content on HP is far superior to that of AC. This may prove that a computer program is more capable of identifying good writing than human reviewers. Looks like the joke's on AC.

There are plenty of competitors just waiting for Associated Content to go down, so they can fill in the void. One young enterprise that holds great promise is Qondio. However, the strongest substitutes for/ alternatives to AC are HubPages, Squidoo and maybe Bukisa. Look at what happened to GeoCities. This shows that even monsters can crash.

Associated Content is "old school", let's bring in the "new school" already, and stop torturing the public with Yahoo's incompetence and mismanagement of everything they touch. I can't think of one Yahoo product or service I would miss if they were gone tomorrow. Gmail is far superior, but that's no surprise. Their core product, the Yahoo search engine, is a complete failure. MSN and Microsoft's BING are better replacements. That's my public service message for today.

1. Michael Willis profile image78
      Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Bleacher Report is another one of those sites that breaks a single article in to several pages. I hate that and will leave the article without finishing it.
      BR has good content, but I sure wish they would change that format.