jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)

My hard drive fried

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

I'm still trying to recover from yesterday. My laptop went down 3 days ago, I spent a day trying to fix it, had to take it in and found out the hard drive was fried. Lost all my pics, all my research because I had'nt backed up my favorites, and lost some work. I had alot of my stuff stored other places so it's not a total loss but it still rocked me.
    I'm busy trying to get all my programs back in now,
    Kind of feels like my house burned down ( I know it's not that serious but you know what I mean)

1. compu-smart profile image78
      compu-smartposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Sorry to hear this!
      The three most important words for me whan computing other than the three main security tools. Anti virus, Anti Spyware and Firewall. is Back up, Back up, Back up!! regulaly..!

I had a corrupt harddrive and attached to another machine by setting the set jumpers to slave etc and the only way i could access it was placing the harddrive in a airtight bag with a small piece of bread or grain of rice to absorbe the moist and i stuck in the freezer over night! and worked perfectly!!

If that fails a drop on the floor from about 1 foot has worked for a friend!!

Their are other ways which can obviously cost and if you have the right tools and information you should always be able to retrive data one way or another.! companys are very expensive to retrieve data!!    Have you ever heard of the fbi saying,, Umm we had the suspects computer but we could not access the broken harddrive!yikes

1. Dorsi profile image90
        Dorsiposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks- you made me smile with your response! Computers can be the greatest thing and they can also be our worst enemy! I just wrote a hub ( still unpublished) as to some ways I've dealt with computer problems- I think we should all do an interactive hub with some of the more creative ways we've addressed our computer problems- and include your stories! That is too funny!!!!

2. Susan Ng profile image90
    Susan Ngposted 8 years ago

I know what you mean.  I felt that way when our office computer first got stolen.  Although I had backed up the data a month before the incident and we lost only about a month's worth of all our work, we still felt devastated.  It does kind of feel like your house burning down, doesn't it? yikes

And then there was the second time our office computer got stolen and I lost two week's worth of lesson plans. sad  I had overtimed on those because I was going on a vacation leave and it disappeared the week before I was leaving.  Needless to say, I was very cranky that last week trying to redo everything I had already done. tongue

So my sympathies are with you... smile

3. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

Thanks- yes I'm bummed- but also really happy that my laptop could be fixed.
    It's make you realize how much you depend on your computer!

4. compu-smart profile image78
    compu-smartposted 8 years ago

Hi Dorsi:)

Maybe this will become an interactive hub with weird computer fixit syles! That would be gr8
    I have so many and some i will hub about too which are on the back burner for now.. Most ways i use to fix i would not reccomend lol...

5. 0
    daflaposted 8 years ago

Mine gave me a big scare a couple of days ago.  I must have gotten onto a malicious site, because the browser crashed, and I couldn't get it or the other one back up, plus none of my virus or spyware scans would run.  I would get the message to reinstall them.  Suddenly, the screen went blue.  AAAUGH!!!  THE DREADED BLUE SCREEN!!!  As soon as I couldn't get either browser up, I  had unplugged my modem.  With no screen, I couldn't shut it down, so I had to just turn it off manually.  I tried restarting it, to no avail. I got it booted in safe mode, and did a system restore back two days, and so far it's fine.  I also did all my scans in safe mode, and they found nothing, so probably when I jerked the modem, whatever it was didn't have time to imbed itself on my system.

Pretty scary!

1. Dorsi profile image90
      Dorsiposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thank God you acted quickly! The same thing happened to my sis-in-law and she remembered me talking about the blue screen of death so she shut off her computer right away and was able to recover!
      I'm still reeling from the loss of some of my stuff- mostly pics I had'nt backed up , and some other stuff. It could have been far far worse though!

6. compu-smart profile image78
    compu-smartposted 8 years ago

The Blue screen of death!! Not good and good advice for others.....It is also impossible to try and  actually diagnose your possible problems, the main thing is your back up and running!

A lesson to be learned for all us hubbers who work online..Make sure you not just back up your data but having another PC in the house always makes things less stressfull..

Here is a very fun hub i did of a couple of very funny desktop tricks that have the blue screen of death mode and other very funny gimmicks..its completely safe and if you have time you might like to see.