jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

How Does One Kick their Apartment Mates into Gear?

1. Zenith of Emotion profile image60
    Zenith of Emotionposted 6 years ago

So, for next year I have three apartment mates for a two-bedroom apartment. So far, I am the only one with a fathomable job (past one interview, the next is tomorrow, and then if I pass that I'm in). None of them are trying very hard, and if it weren't for the fact that we've all signed a legal contract stating that we will pay for the apartment for one year whether we are living in it or not I would look for new apartment mates...

I keep trying to get them to apply to more places and to network, but it seems as if there just isn't enough to inspire them with that.

What can I do?

1. 0
      pinkyleeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

throw a newspaper in their face lol ... i've done it and it helped ... but look stuff up for them and be like hey i found this ... you need too apply

Zenith of Emotionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not a bad idea. I may have to try this.

2. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

why did you agree to have jobless roomates?

in the agreement you signed, who is responsable for rent?

Zenith of Emotionposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Each of us is responsible for a fourth of the rent.

Because I, too, at the time was jobless and I we'd decided on it a while ago. One of them is working on applying to people, but the other two seem to be slacking. And my snapping at them isn't working.

1. 0
        Justine76posted 6 years ago in reply to this

well, if they signed somethign saying THEY are responsable, I wouldn't worry about it. They are responsable? Pay your bit and go on.  maybe?

and nagging never works, ever. You need some kind of written contract, sonm REAL THING to be afraid of.

as long as someone knows someone else will pick up the tab, they'll walk out, no problem. 

for example, my sister in law is 26 years old, married, and still lives at home. Because she KNOWS her parents will give her whatever she wants. If they just said NO, and meant it, she would go on and get a job. People will do what they have to, but they will need to be told they HAVE TO. I hope that made some sort of sense. Only you know your pals, and what buttons to push to get them going, but you have to mean what you say, and stick with it.

3. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Can the Leopard change its spots

4. Shadesbreath profile image89
    Shadesbreathposted 6 years ago

You can't. 

As a parent of three kids, 17, 18 and 20, I can tell you that you, a NON parent with ZERO authority, will not motivate them to do anything they don't want to do. Period.

You can try a little guilt trip, maybe threaten to get out of the contract before the S--- hits the financial fan, but for the most part, all you will do is become the target of snide remarks or resentment if you start trying to parent or boss them.

You picked your roommates, you got to deal with it.  You ain't gonna change them though.

5. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

I lived many years in similar situations right after college - it was fun and I loved it.

But we always banded together near rent time and made it happen - whether we had to throw parties or take crap jobs for the week, we made rent.

Sometimes we had to cover each other and we always owed each other money for restaurants, bars, trips or house bills ..it really depends on how close you are as friends and how much trust you have in each other.

When we lived 4 to a house - rent was pretty damn cheap! and we had a 4 bedroom plus office - with only 2 bedrooms - how rough can it be?