jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (13 posts)

Irrelevant Adsense Ads

1. Smart Rookie profile image74
    Smart Rookieposted 6 years ago

I recently posted an article about tips for quitting smoking. The whole focus of the hub, for anyone with a pair of eyes, is about quitting smoking.

I've tried to optimize my hub so it would display the appropriate Adsense ads; instead I'm getting ads for video games, credit scores, la-z-boy recliners, and "make a baby." Every time I check out another hub on smoking (even ones that were published after mine) I see relevant google ads. It seems to work just fine for everyone else!

I've exhausted any ideas I could think of. I poured my heart and soul into this hub and these "contextual" ads are a waste. If anyone can spot what I'm doing wrong, please help me.

1. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It may take upto 24 hours for the relevant ads to appear.

2. Sally's Trove profile image98
      Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've seen this, too. For a few days after publishing a Hub, the ads are relevant, then they become inane, then they become relevant again. And it bounces back and forth between relevance and beside-the-point.

Like all good things in the making, there are trial and error. YieldBuild does a great job sometimes, but not all of the time. Let's give it time.

1. Smart Rookie profile image74
        Smart Rookieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing your insight on this. I'll just be patient.

2. blondepoet profile image78
    blondepoetposted 6 years ago

I looked and cannot see anything wrong, hopefully your ads will change soon to the right ones. smile

1. brettb profile image67
      brettbposted 6 years ago

Hardly anyone knows this but you can change your adsense settings to stop those ads appearing that are based on what you've been looking for on the web, rather than what the current page is about.

Some people have got good results from doing this, but it largely depends on what type of adsense pages you have.

I've turned the feature off for now, I think it's a bit spooky google knowing what you might be interested in rather than showing ads relevent to the page you're looking at.

1. brettb profile image67
        brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

P.S. Hubpages haven't turned this feature off, hence if you visit one of your pages that has the hubpages adsense ID, you'll see all kinds of strange ads.

2. nancywhite profile image60
      nancywhiteposted 6 years ago

Hey Smart Rookie, I think your ads normalized by now. I just checked and see a lot of quit smoking/nicotine addiction ads showing up.

3. climberjames profile image60
      climberjamesposted 6 years ago

Hey, how can one improve the relevancy of ad's?

Is it just a case of focused keywords/tags?

Thanks - climberjames

4. Research Analyst profile image78
      Research Analystposted 6 years ago

As brettb mentioned google will show you ads from your recent search history,not only on your own hubs but if you go to read other hubbers hubs as well. The relevancy of ads will come based on the content and the subject matter.

1. climberjames profile image60
        climberjamesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Interesting . . .and clever on googles part!

5. thisisoli profile image58
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago

Google takes a much broader view than the last few websites you visited. They have some damn clever algorythms in place to make sure the adverts shown are the adverts you are most likely to be interested in!

1. chinweike profile image46
        chinweikeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes, google has one of the most intelligent algorithms i have ever seen.

working