Make one of these |

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (38 posts)
  1. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Many often use these symbols in their Titles and URLs  "|"

I am embarrassed to say, I never knew how this was done with a  PC keyboard and always just pasted them in.

So for any who were similarly ignorant

Its Shift and the button between  | enter | and | backspace |

||||||||

Happy, I am.

1. profile image0
      mc23gposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Speaking of cool keyboard characters, I figured out how to write a really cool character, press  ALT + F4. Check out what it types: ¼ + ½ = ¾. Neato!

wink

2. Sue Adams profile image94
      Sue Adamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It ain't on my Spanish keyboard.

2. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 13 years ago

|

3. lakeerieartists profile image62
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

wink  Wow, I actually knew something before you.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Okay. | am doing well. Is that better?

Maybe, | is a college graduette. lol lol

5. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 13 years ago

My keyboard doesn't have a button between Enter and Backspace sad

sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

it usually has these two symbols [ \ | ]

6. WaffleCheese profile image42
    WaffleCheeseposted 13 years ago

Fun fact!!!

It's actually called the 'Pipe' key.

Love,

Wafflecheese.

7. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

with wafflecheese's useful terminology I was able to find this

http://www.ils.unc.edu/courses/2006_fall/inls461_001/fall06/unix/basics/images/pipeKey.png

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 13 years ago

My | is on the other side of the keyboard between Shift and Z.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So's mine ||||

1. camlo profile image85
        camloposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mine too, but my 'Z' is a 'Y' - it's a German keyboard. |||
        Took me ages this evening to work out how it's done ...

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah well my laptop is English - to me if I ever have to buy a Spanish keyboard it'll be because this one went caput and I didn't have time to hop over the UK to buy one.
          Apparently Windows 7 when it is pre-installed has a language option, but when a Spanish shop wants to sell you it, they automatically set it to Spanish even if you want it to be in English!
          Between that and a weird keyboard I'll stick to a UK model lol

1. camlo profile image85

The worst thing about using a non-English keyboard is that you can't use an English one once you've got used to it. I have the keys Ü, Ä, Ö and ß, which mis-places many other keys - from an English POV.

9. jenblacksheep profile image67

Oh, this one ... |!!! It's between the Shift and the Z on my laptop keyboard.

10. blondepoet profile image68
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

|||||||||\\\
    Wow I never knew it existed thanks Sun. smile

11. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

How exciting |

12. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

(<>..<>)

I failed.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm   hey, mine look different. my upper symbol is broken in half.

||||||| this is o.k.

I feel like a little kid in preschool who just learned how to hold a pencil.

13. elayne001 profile image77
    elayne001posted 13 years ago

\||||||||||??//??>< |||||||

mine are not as close are you all - what am I doing wrong?

14. myownworld profile image73
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

oohh... it's easy to get carried away with these now....!  ||||||||||||||

15. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

lol cool. ||||| Mine is somewhere else altogther. It's top left, shift button below, esc above, the number 1 to it's right. Portuguese keyboard. Which why I can right things like:

portugûes, a vida é boa, as condições são terríveis, HubPages é fantástico, não é?! - without hunting for special characters.

Still, I can also make pipe key strokes to my heart's content, only the Portuguese seem to like a few millimeters between strokes smile

|\|\\\\|||

And an oldie but goodie: <3)~

1. Faybe Bay profile image66
      Faybe Bayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Funny I was getting upset, couldn't find mine. It's where yours is. ||||||||||||||||||| Oh cool!

1. Sue Adams profile image94
        Sue Adamsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

YESSS! I finally found it on my Spanish keyboard. It's
        Control/Alt and press No.1 key. But it doesn't actually appear on the key. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction Frogdropping. |||||||||||||. Never knew it was called a pipe.

16. jenblacksheep profile image67

I have an entirely different button under my Esc button. It has three characters on it but I can only get two of them to show, ¬ and ` the third one is like the | but with a gap in the middle and I don't know which button to press with it to make it work.

sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

the third option on a keyboard is achieved with the Fn (function) key on most laptops

alternately you can try "alt + (key with 3 functions)" or ctrl + (key with 3 functions) or even shift +alt + (key with 3 functions)

usually laptops have a color coded way of telling you this

17. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

My keyboard is a little different. Let's have a go ... |Yes?|

18. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

|||||

19. Wendy Krick profile image64
    Wendy Krickposted 13 years ago

I just learned this myself a few months ago.

20. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

Well...now that you've got your pipe, you can smoke it lol

[Seriously] though, it's most often used to separate words or phrases like:

First | Second | Third | Fourth  ...and so on.

Wow....aren't we having fuunnn smile smile
    And we're learnin' too!

1. camlo profile image85

Oh yes! I'm really looking forward to using my ||||

21. KeithTax profile image73
    KeithTaxposted 13 years ago

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Wow, this is fun ||||||||||||||

|||||||||||||||
          |||
          |||
    |||||||||||||||

||           ||
    ||           ||
    |||||||||||||||
    |||||||||||||||
    ||           ||
    ||           ||

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  show off....

22. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

I found this key a few months ago but still don't understand why the key has a space in the middle when the character doesn't |||||

<3)~  (too cute!  had to try it!)   

Okay, so does anyone know how to put ~ above an 'n'? (on an American keyboard)

23. timorous profile image81
    timorousposted 13 years ago

For anyone who's interested, there's a whole bunch more characters beyond those available on your keyboard.  On a Windows PC, most of them are accessible by holding down the 'Alt' button and typing in the number code for the character using the number pad area on the (usually) right side of the keyboard.  If you're a MAC, it's probably different, but the codes are the same.

Here's a link to the ASCII codes and characters:

http://ascii-table.com/ansi-codes.php
    (hint: use the number in the 'DEC' column)

Happy hunting, boys and girls smile

24. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Yay found mine after a couple of minutes.

On my laptop it is between shift and z
    |||||

|||pipe|||

25. lxxy profile image61
    lxxyposted 13 years ago

((><))

It's KENNY!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)