Since I've turned off Kontera...

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 13 years ago

My Google adsense has improved since I disabled Kontera on my hubs. I waited till I got to my $100 payout, and I notice that in the last couple months I have seen better revenue from Google. Soooo....no definitive test here but I think disabling it was a good idea.
    Still testing this theory though...
    (and BTW it took me almost 2 years to get to payout with Kontera- that was just tooooo long to me!)

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I noticed that when I stopped using Kontera too

2. RNMSN profile image61
      RNMSNposted 13 years agoin reply to this

after 12 mo I had 15 cents  from knotera but I turned it off when It was written about last fall.....so glad I did too!!

1. RNMSN profile image61
        RNMSNposted 13 years agoin reply to this

after 2 mo I have/not had///went too fast thar!haha

1. Dorsi profile image88
          Dorsiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol I'm also happy to report I'm getting a sweet little check from Google every month now too....gets me motivated to write more! It won't pay the mortgage but it sure helps!!

3. RKHenry profile image63
      RKHenryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good info.  Thanks for sharing.

4. cohenj88 profile image59
      cohenj88posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Dorsi,

This is Jonathan from Kontera.

Because Kontera and Adsense are displayed in completely different areas of your Hupages, they don't cannibalize on each other's clicks, and in fact many Kontera Publishers have great success using use Adsense and Kontera together. Additionally because of the fatigue condition know as "banner blindness" many site visitors just stop noticing banner ads and you'd be losing their clicks completely if you didn't have In-Text ads.

Dorsi, looking up your account it looks like you disabled Kontera around May 4th, and the small sample size combined with the general feedback I've received from Publishers that they've found Kontera to be an addition revenue stream to Adsense, leads me to believe the fluke explanation for the last couple of weeks.

That being said, in response to your other question, Kontera can be opened in another window, but that's not the default setting. Here's the link on how to get Kontera links to automatically open in another window: http://kb.kontera.com/questions/94/How+ … +window%3F

It might be worth experimenting with. Perhaps that will has a positive effect effect on your earnings smile 

Thanks,

- Jonathan Cohen
      Kontera Community Manager

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thanks Johnathon for dropping by and giving us some feedback on Kontera. I have to say I was disappointed with how long it took me to get to payout...
        but I will say in your favor that Kontera got back to me when I asked questions. I'm just not sure Kontera is right for me here at HubPages. Maybe in another venue but still mulling it around....
        That's also good info to know about the linking aspect because I don't want readers getting pulled away from HubPages...

1. profile image0
          eternaltreasuresposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Kontera is good way to earn money from. Even if it takes you long time to reach the 100 payout, in the long run, it will benefit you.

1. mailxpress profile image50
            mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  When I first started with Adsense it took me about 2 years to receive my first payout.  Then about a year later I learned about Kontera and I am going through the same experience.  There will be a time when I receive a check per month from Adsense and Kontera.
            I have many Hubs, blogs and websites which have Adsense and Kontera on them.   Because I have so many URL floating out in the web I am finally receiving a payout with Adsense every month and Kontera is finally catching up.  It's a long process but I personally feel it's worth all the effort.  I can't wait for the day when I receive a check from Adsense and Kontera each and every month.  If you continue to write the future begins to look brighter.

2. cohenj88 profile image59

Right. Dorsi we should do a better job of publicizing this point, but there's no reason Kontera has to divert traffic from your Hubpage. You can get Kontera to automatically open ads in another Window, so your site visitors can click on ads and still remain on your hub. Here's how:  http://kb.kontera.com/questions/94/How+ … +window%3F

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thanks Jonathon)
            Maybe you can write some hubs about using Kontera with HubPages?

1. Susana S profile image92
              Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think that's a top idea Dorsi. I have never used Kontera, though I'm always looking for ways to earn more from my hubs and so some info on the best types of hubs to use it on, how to get the best click values etc would be good.

2. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image83
        Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hello Jonathon at Kontera,
          I read what you wrote.  I turned off my Kontera at the beginning when I joined Hubpages because I read that we have to make -- was it $10 or $100 first?  But I think it's always on now just by itself but it doesn't display anything on my stories, I don't think.  Does it?  I definitely haven't made the $10 or $100 yet, so I'm just curious about all this. 
          It turns itself back on, I guess?

Thanks.  Pamela

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74
          Arthur Fontesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pamela I think your hubs show Kontera ads on your hubs during HP"S 40% ad time.  Even if you have Kontera disabled.

1. Pamela Kinnaird W profile image83
            Pamela Kinnaird Wposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK.  Thanks, Arthur.

2. cohenj88 profile image59

Hey Pam,

The minimum payout threshold was probably $100 when you started on Hubpages, we've since lowered it to $50.

- Jonathan

3. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see how you can say a blanket "they don't cannibalise each others clicks".  Each reader tends to have only one click, this any outbound link will be at least partly substitutable for another.  Saying how Kontera minimises this, or a Kontera click is better than an adsense click, might convince me.  Not bald assertions of dubious merit.

5. Techtree profile image60
      Techtreeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congratulation on your payment. I never used kontera. I use only google and its best to me.

6. kmackey32 profile image64
      kmackey32posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not sure if it has anything to do with Kontera because my adsence has been better also after reaching my $100 payout and I also reached 12 months on hubpages...

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Congrats on the payout!

I never started using Kontera. lol lol

1. Dorsi profile image88

Thanks Cagsil. My Google revenue has DOUBLED since disabling Kontera. I don't know if this is just a fluke or what...

1. Kind Regards profile image67
        Kind Regardsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Interesting, Dorsi.  Good to know since I disabled Kontera too.  I'm just not a fan of in-text links.  Kind Regards

1. Dorsi profile image88

I should know the answer to this question but don't: When someone clicks on your Kontera ad does it take them away from your hub?

2. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe that just goes to show that people were more interested in your writing than you originally thought, because Kontera held it back. hmm

Anything is possible. smile

2. katiem2 profile image60
      katiem2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I never started using Kontera either.

3. Cagsil profile image70

Actually Kind Regards, you can do it yourself and provide yourself better quality traffic, providing you know what you are doing that is. smile

4. Cagsil profile image70

I think it goes to another window or tab, depending on browser. They remain on your hub.

5. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

I've been considering disabling Kontera for a while now. Now I certainly will; all I have to lose are a few pennies now and again ...

6. lender3212000 profile image61
    lender3212000posted 13 years ago

I disabled Kontera after doing some testing and I've been very pleased with the results. The biggest difference for me has been a much improved conversion on Amazon links since making the change.

7. Wealthmadehealthy profile image60
    Wealthmadehealthyposted 13 years ago

Boy, am I glad I stopped in here.  Thanks for all this great information.  You guys are "tha bomb" !!

8. heart4theword profile image59
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

Always good, to hear the experiences of others:)  Thank you!

9. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 13 years ago

This might be a dumb question, but how do you turn it off?

I presume you go to the accounts, open it up - then you can toggle off? Is this correct? Also is it permanent off or can you turn back on if you want to?

1. Dorsi profile image88

When you publish your hub you can check whether you want Kontera links or not on it. There is also a spot where you check to have Kontera on their by default (trying to see where that one is, don't know it off the top of my head...lol)

10. _cheryl_ profile image83
    _cheryl_posted 13 years ago

Interesting, thanks for sharing this info!

11. Milla Mahno profile image59
    Milla Mahnoposted 13 years ago

I did not bother with it at all...

12. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Kontera works for me, even if it is on a lower level than adsense.

I see very little actual difference in adsense earnings before and after disabling Kontera, and the little bit of extra cash does help.

The only real reason for not having kontera in my eyes is simply if you find the pop up adverts annoying.

13. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

I like to keep Kontera on, if for no other reason than to spot the keywords that are prevalent on my hubs.  I figure if Kontera sees those as keywords, I suspect Google does too.  That has helped me tweak my hubs to target the keywords I desire. 

Of course, that may serve no purpose whatsoever, but it seemed logical at the time.

14. Mutiny92 profile image64
    Mutiny92posted 13 years ago

http://hubpages.com/hub/how-kontera-works

Is this still true that they keep your $$$ if you don't make $5 per month?  That doesn't seem friendly at all.

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, they stopped doing that ages ago.

Your earnings roll over even if you earn less than $5 per month. Darkside needs to update his hub!

Kontera seem to be trying to improve their image with publishers nowadays, and to help with that they have lowered the payment threshold, and they began rolling over low earnings quite a long time ago.

1. Mutiny92 profile image64
        Mutiny92posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks oli.

15. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 13 years ago

Thank you for starting this thread, Dorsi.
    I disabled Kontera on about half my Hubs two days ago and, amazingly, my Adsense earnings have already increased.
    Should this prove not to be just a fluke, I'd also say that Kontera doesn't work as far as my Hubs are concerned.
    This is certainly something worth experimenting with.

16. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 13 years ago

I turned off Kontera on Hubpages and starting making money! All I needed to learn. 
    I know there is a guy from Kontera who has signed on with HP. If he reads this, maybe he can find a way to make Kontera more profitable for HP members.
    I know there are those with huge amounts of Hubs and in turn huge traffic,(They benefit from Kontera) but for those starting out or with smaller hub counts...Kontera would benefit from a way to reach those type of writers as well.
    It is all about the money with Advertising. If Kontera could show a way for me to make more money from them than I could from Google Adsense....then I would use Kontera. But I will use what is in MY best interest, not just the Advertisers.  And right now it is best for me to use Adsense.

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it was Relache who said in a forum thread that it's necessary to have traffic of about 100,000 views per day before you can expect anything like substantial earnings from Kontera.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
        Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are right. I believe Relache does well with Kontera, but she has a lot of hubs ( and they are really good) and a ton of traffic.  Congrats to Relache for that.

I'd be very interested to know what Relache might say on this thread.
          I'm sure she would have disabled Kontera if it distracted from Adsense, which pays more ... Or perhaps Kontera really does work (well with Adsense) for some Hubs, but not for others.
          Hmmm ... this really has me wondering.

1. Michael Willis profile image68
            Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I remember correctly...she does well with both. But, maybe she will pop in and add some info for you on this.

17. Megavitamin profile image69
    Megavitaminposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the great info!  I've been SLOWLY earning money over the past year and a half, so maybe I'll experiment with turning off Kontera.  We'll see!

Well, I decided that by experimenting I'd have little more to lose than a few pennies every now and again from Kontera, and by doing so seem to have gained a whole lot more from Adsense. Let's see if this continues. I've now disabled Kontera on all of my Hubs.

18. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

Kontera should not be active at all if you have turned it off, also if Kontera is on a hub it will NOT show on your hubpages IF you are logged in.

You can go to somewhere in your account where you can disable kontera adverts on all your Hubs in one fell swoop!

Yes, it's under Affiliate Settings. There's an option box near to the bottom of the page.

19. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 13 years ago

I have taken kontera off all 62 of my hubs - nothing to do with money - but readers were telling me that when they clicked text links they were getting things that had nothing to do with Hub content - so it was causing problems for my readers who thought I had some hand in deciding the links

20. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Well, I feel like the biggest dork of all.  All this time, I never thought much about Kontera ads because I knew I didn't sign up for it.  However, what I also didn't realize was that my affiliate settings were set to always display them.  Doh!!!  So, that means even though I wasn't set up to earn anything on them, I was generously displaying them anyway. 

So, I decided to delete Kontera and dreaded the thought of having to open each and every hub to edit the box.  Luckily, I saw Jayne's earlier post in this thread about how you can fix them in one swoop.  Thank goodness for that!  That one comment is worth it's weight in gold.  Thanks Dorsi for starting the thread, thanks to Johnathon for stopping by to clarify things (that's impressive on it's own) and thanks to Jayne for her life-saving comment about how to fix it.

I'm so dang close to missing a monthly payout this time.  I need every little click I can get.  I'm hoping this will boost my Adsense clicks even if it's only for 2 days.  LOL

21. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

Get out after pay out!. smile
    I used to promote Kontera in the initial stages. But not anymore. Simply not worth the clutter and the paltry earnings per clicks.

Best Regards

22. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I got out a few hours ago! Payout for Kontera was never going to happen, I never signed up.  I'm a bit short on hitting Adsense payout this month, that's what I'm hoping to hit.  I have today to do it (31st).

1. SunSeven profile image63
      SunSevenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will make it. Best of luck. smile

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the encouragement, but with only a few hours left, it's not going to happen.  That's ok, though, with all of that carrying over into June, the bulk of June will be gravy money making the June EOM payout my biggest yet.

23. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 13 years ago

May be we all shall unite and ask HP to impliment a better revenue option for the hubbers?! smile

24. Boomer60 profile image61
    Boomer60posted 13 years ago

Just disabled Kontera from all my hubs. Thanks for bring this topic to everyones attention. Maybe June will be a better month for Adsense for me. (Crossing Fingers!)

25. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 13 years ago

Thanks Dorsi, I disabled it as well.  I appreciate the tip and I was wondering the same...Thanks again.

26. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

Hi all,

I've just put Kontera on my hubs just to see if it's worthwhile.

So far my clicks have been for $0.01 or less, not bad for someone who is writing about high value topics (not "me" by the way, but my "other" me)!

To make matters worse the keyword matching is laughable. I looked on a hub and it had turned a word like "shiny" into an ad for a hair shampoo. What's worse is that it was on a finance topic hub and it seemed to miss all the high value keywords.

I think I'll turn it off again next week! This seems to be the general feeling here so it's probably right.

27. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 13 years ago

Hey Jonathan

I was wondering if there is a way to optimize a hub for kontera, how does one know the best keywords to use? adsense has the free keyword tool which is helpful does kontera have a similar tool? if so I think people would be able to earn more from their clicks.

1. cohenj88 profile image59

Hey Research Analyst,

Basically what I'd suggest is going into your Kontera Publisher Center and examining your keyword and URL reports. This will allow you to identify which keywords are performing the best for your site, and which URLS are delivering the most clicks.

Once you have this info, you can use that to decide which new hubs would be the most profitable to create.

A lot of optimization is automated and happens over time, but that should give you a good head start.

28. brettb profile image61

Another mini-update - I've had a few more clicks, but for minuscule amounts.

Kontera goes unless there's a dramatic improvement this week.

29. TATfamily profile image59
    TATfamilyposted 13 years ago

I haven't done many hubs and made much money here but on my websites I've noticed a substantial increase in adsense when I took Kontera off.

30. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the tip! I am hardly making anything with it anyway so will follow your example I think!

31. brettb profile image61

Kontera is dumped!

I was only getting $0.01 clicks or lower for keywords that pay $1 or more on Adsense.

It's not worth getting $0.01 clicks when extra JavaScript slows your page down for some visitors.

32. melbel profile image95
    melbelposted 13 years ago

Good to hear from everyone on this. Kontera doesn't seem to bring me very much at all. I will likely be disabling these links in the coming days.

33. 2besure profile image80
    2besureposted 13 years ago

You don't have to tell me twice.  I am going to disable my Kontera!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)