jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

to open links in new windows ... or not

1. Appletreedeals profile image83
    Appletreedealsposted 6 years ago

Here's the question:
    Should you have outbound links open in a new target window, or open over your hub.

I DO NOT like opening in new window because ...
    1. users are used to using browser back-arrow to return from links, (I think it is important to not upset a routine)
    2. for some systems and internet connections, it may be slower to open in new window

point to ponder: ebay and amazon module links DO NOT open in new windows ... Do they know something?

but ... as frogdropping advised: "Make your links open up in another window - currently they take the reader off and away from your hub." (not picking on you froggy, but your quote did prompt my question)

I can see this may be valid, maybe.

What is your preference: new target window, or not? Why?

2. Edweirdo profile image96
    Edweirdoposted 6 years ago

I try to always open links in new windows for just the reason froggy makes - if the reader leaves before clicking an ad or buying something, they will probably forget they were on my page and never come back!

But if they visit the outgoing link (even if it's another of my own hubs) when they're done my hub is still waiting there for them...

And if they use Firefox (the browser that HP is actually tuned for) or another newer browser, the page opens in a new tab, not a new window. So not a huge resource hit on slower computers!

Hope that helps smile

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I usually make a link open in a new window, it can sometimes be an annoyance ot a reader, but provides a greater chance of tehm coming back to the original article and clicking/buying.

3. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 6 years ago

When I use the web, I always try to remember to right click on links I wish to follow and then select to open them in a new tab or window. I do this because quite often I want to root around various pages of the new site, or follow links from there to further sites. At the same time, I don't want to lose the original site, because I probably haven't yet gone through all the information it contains.
    Personally, I would love it if opening in a new window was the default everywhere since that would make things much quicker for me.

As I write this, I have 12 tabs open in Firefox smile

1. Edweirdo profile image96
      Edweirdoposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My thinking, exactly! And I have even about 20 tabs open in Firefox right now - otherwise I would forget what I was doing tongue

4. Appletreedeals profile image83
    Appletreedealsposted 6 years ago

ok, I see your logic, and I thought I was a "Tab addict", but I don't keep 20 open.

5. Origin profile image59
    Originposted 6 years ago

I'm a tab addict, I usually have a lot of them at any given time. big_smile