jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Do you share your Parent's political views?

1. WaffleCheese profile image79
    WaffleCheeseposted 6 years ago

I remember in school we were inundated by democratic ways of thinking. It was mostly in elementary school, but those influences weren't as powerful as the ones my parent's taught me.

I always knew my parents were republican, but I never knew what that meant until I was in high school/ early college where I learned for myself and converted in my ways of thinking.

I generally keep my political beliefs to myself because they are so divisive, but I am wondering if anyone else has the political view of their parents, or of their schooling, or both?

1. NathanSyckel profile image61
      NathanSyckelposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it's hard not to take on the political views of your parents. I know that I did, thankfully they were right! :p

The opposite side of the spectrum is people who didn't get along with their parents well probably hold the exact opposite political views...but that's not really a choice either.

2. CASE1WORKER profile image86
      CASE1WORKERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i do. conservative- but my daughters did not at the recent election- mind you No 2 daughter put her x in the wrong box anyway

2. lxxy profile image60
    lxxyposted 6 years ago

I've traveled along the same lines of questioning political affiliations and ideals. Personally, I've just resorted to the more safer bet and have decided anarchy is the more useful means of governing a society. Or, not, rather.

1. WaffleCheese profile image79
      WaffleCheeseposted 6 years ago in reply to this

1. lxxy profile image60
        lxxyposted 6 years ago in reply to this

It's a long story. I've written about it. I suppose it's because I'm the eternal optimist (and it's terminal, too) and find myself viewing many new technologies that will re-write how society functions on various levels.

Not just on a consumer or medical level, either. I speak of nanotechnology and print-on-demand consumer goods, such as plates and complex machines.

With such a decentralized supply chain of "stuff," mostly just various compounds placed in a cartridge for some 3D printer you must admit the viability of things like manufacturing a complete diner set in the comfort of your own home becomes plausible.

I think that with the vast amounts of communication today humanity is due to either swing back into a cycle of oppression or into an era of liberty.

Sorry about those last lines, I must have inhaled pixie dust. Again, I'm just an optimist.

3. 60
    SarahLambertposted 6 years ago

My conservative mother and radically liberal father divorced when I was young, so I saw both sides of the spectrum from a young age.  While I lean conservative, I get very, very uncomfortable when ideology leans too far to the left or right.

4. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Well, considering my parents were not political. I guess, I have also taken on that role as well. I have no party affiliations nor do I endorse any politician in office, including the President of the United States.

For far too many years "business", that is "BIG" business, has strangled Congress. Many other assorted "business" entities have been ripping to shreds the fabric of America for greedy purposes, instead of strengthening America - they have weakened it.