jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

One of our birds is missing in action, presumed dead.

1. 0
    Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago

Our beautiful Michelle, a hen named after the resistance leader in Alo Alo went missing today.  Feathers were found and her best friend Yevette was located, cowering by the side of the house, in shock. All three remaining big birds in mourning.  Snatched in broad daylight, there was little we could do.  She will be sadly missed, always the bravest (and most awkward).  One of the bantams will brood her last few eggs, in the hope that some hatch and we have some of her offspring. 

Tributes please for a heroic hen, who probably lead the predator away from the weaker birds and the chicks.

2. Haunty profile image84
    Hauntyposted 6 years ago

Faith is a rainy hen.
    Wow, faith!
    Life, endurance and desolation.
    The lively moon roughly fights the sea.
    Sail calmly like the misty gulls!

A tribute to Michelle the heroic hen.

1. 0
      Kathryn LJposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Haunty.  Love the tribute.

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

Poor Michelle.   One has to ask.....what are the remaining birds' names?  I'm assuming best friend Yevette is one of the 3.

1. 0

Yes, there is Yevette, Meime and Madame Edith.  Then of course there are the 9 Bantams.

4. KCC Big Country profile image84

And have you named all 9 Bantams?

1. 0

Oh yes.  There is Gavin the cock (named before he came to live with us).  His wives are Goldie, Snowy White, Thugsly, Dirty White, Spike and Afro.  He also has a son called Custard and a daughter called Bullseye.  Then there are the 6 chicks but they don't have names yet because we only name them once we get to know their little personalities.

5. KCC Big Country profile image84

LOL....very cute names.  Good idea to wait to get to know them before naming them.  Wouldn't it be cool if we did that as humans?

1. 0

I've always thought so.  Some names don't suit small children either.  My dad was called Arthur but as a little boy was known a Sonny.  Then, much to his annoyance my kids called him Pop Art instead of Granddad.  Brilliant!

working