jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (8 posts)

Showing Up in Search Engines - Help?

1. Aficionada profile image93
    Aficionadaposted 7 years ago

I really have tried to research this, I really have....

After being part of HubPages for a few months, I finally got up the nerve to see how I am doing with the big search engines.  I checked some keywords for one of my HubPages articles first in Yahoo! then in Google.  In Google, my article was second on the list on the first page - woo-hoo!  I can't describe the excitement!

But in Yahoo!, the same keywords put me much farther down the list (that's not the problem) but linked to my profile, not to the article I was trying to research.  What's the explanation?  Is there any way I can change that?

There's soooo much that I'm trying to learn here.

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 7 years ago

Sounds like you are doing pretty good already, that the profile page comes out is not that unusual. A few things you can try to make sure that the search engines are aware of your hub:

- double-check your tags, see if any new ones should be added, including not the most competitive keywords;
    - submit a sitemap;
    - use ping services to make them aware of the hub(s) in question.

Aficionadaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Website Examiner!  There's so much that's new to me, I don't even know what you mean by a sitemap or ping services.  Are there any Hubs that I can read to learn more?

1. profile image0
        Website Examinerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are very welcome. Google provides information on how to create and submit a sitemap; it can even be a plain text file with a list of all the URLs you want to submit. Typically, webmasters do this. I can't be sure about sitemaps for hubs, the information I have given you is general in nature.

Ping services, you can simply run a search and you will see various free services pop up. Those you can certainly use with hubs.

Also, you can use the search functionality on HubPages, then enter these keywords and select "forum" and "hubs," respectively.

Okay, I'll try this.  Thanks again.

3. Misha profile image74
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Get backlinks. This is the only language search engines understand smile

Thanks, Misha!  I've started working on this now, although it too is still something of a mystery to me.  I will go back and review some of the Hubs about backlinking.  Am I correct that backlinks basically come from me asking someone else to link to one of my Hubs on their website?

1. Misha profile image74
        Mishaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You are welcome. smile

Well, nowadays almost nobody asks for backlinks any more. There are literally thousands of sites where you can place your backlinks on. Check out one of the best ways to approach this task here: http://hubpages.com/hub/Backlink-Tool-O … or-Writers

working