jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

The purpose of Google Analytics and how is it useful to hubbers?

1. aoiffe379 profile image60
    aoiffe379posted 6 years ago

Some hubbers may wonder why I have asked such a question because on many forums Google Analytics is regarded highly. Today I spent about two hours or more on Google Analytics website and I felt like I had been swimming off Louisiana. I emerged covered with the oil of information[I empathize with the residents there and pray their nightmare may end soon].

Let me get literal. I was delighted to know which pages were visited and how often. I found the keywords used were none or very few of mine. There was a term'bounce' which I have to view as neutral until I discover if it is favourable or unfavourable.I know what bounced emails are but don't know if this is the same bounce.

What I discovered as interesting is that a hub that is still unpublished was included. Now, if the statistics is my visits to work on the hub,it should have been more. Also,I noticed the visitors and unique visitors.Unique visitors are supposed to be first time. On some sites where the visitors and unique visitor did not match, I questioned it as I had not edited the hub nor visited to comment.

Now that I know the what of Google Analytics, I need to know the how it helps hubbers aspect.I am aware of videos to help but they take a long time  to load and they break up making them useless.Frankly, if I had found the answers for which I have been diligently searching, I would not have to ask.But, I feel like the British Petroleum company who will be hitting and missing to cap the oil  maybe until August. I need answers before that time.Any and all comments are appreciated.

1. DonnaCSmith profile image83
      DonnaCSmithposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I just think its fun to see where in the world people have come upon my articles. I am afraid I am not savvy in using the information to my advantage.

2. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

It can help you target articles more effectively, find out whats working, see your visitor count, and more.

Working with statistics to increase earnings is a huge field,and takes a whole lot of research!

1. brettb profile image70
      brettbposted 6 years ago in reply to this

This is good advice.

I signed up for Google Analytics. I stuck all my sites in it.

I found out I have a 200 word page that makes $20 a month. Wow.

I'm now building more of all my best pages!

Also if you sell your own products on Clickbank you can see which hubs are earning you money!

3. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 6 years ago

Although there are lots of things on Google Analytics I do not understand lots of the features are useful. They are able to give a clearer picture of traffic sources than the HubPages stats.

I find the 'piechart' that showns sections of where the traffic is coming from useful, as you can see on it that more traffic is coming from search engines than other place for example.

I like to view where (on the map) the traffic is coming from sometimes - just curious really.

The most useful thing is looking at which of my hubs are earning - then trying to think/work out what I might have got right on them.
    As you can tell I am no expert at making use of the info there but I am slowly learning to understand how to use it.