Hubbalicious Contest Official Thread (NO Daily Puzzles here)

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 207 discussions (432 posts)
  1. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

Day 25 of the contest, on Southeast Asian cuisine, closed just 20 minutes ago, with 20 Hubs submitted on the topic. Along with charanjeet kaur's 3 bonus entries for being the winner of yesterday's Daily Puzzle, we had 23 entries going into the day's Daily Drawing.

The winner? Third time's the charm for...
    oceansnsunsets!
    Here is her winning Hub:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Ingredients-in- … an-Cuisine

Congratulations, oceansnsunsets.

Day 26's topic is East Asian cuisine, so we turn to the cuisines of China, Korea and Japan. I'm breaking out my chopsticks and Simone and I look forward to reading the submissions! smile

1. oceansnsunsets profile image86
      oceansnsunsetsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jason, thank you very much.  I am really enjoying creating hubs for these contests, and learning a lot.  If only I could travel the world over now to go visit all these places.

2. queen cleopatra profile image86
      queen cleopatraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wow! Belated congratulations once again, oceansnsunsets smile

2. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Congrats, Sunny!

Heya Habee! thank you very much, I am very excited.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

congrats oceansnsunsets! More to go!

Yes, more to go its not all over yet . Thank you Pretty Dark Horse!

3. profile image0
    AARON99posted 13 years ago

Hi Jason, i have published a new hub a few hours back named "A BRIEF HISTORY OF CHINESE CUISINE" for Hubbalicious Contest of World Cuisine of East Asian. Hope this time everything will be all right. Thank you.

4. Pamela99 profile image89
    Pamela99posted 13 years ago

Hi Jason, I think I may have messed the time up again on the last hub I worked so hard on.  I have had trouble with this 3 PM time frame.  I was hurrying up today as I had to pick my mom up from the hospital and I don't remember exactly what time I published the Kenya hub. It would be so much easier for the date to be the date where ever you live.  I am do frustrated with myself.

Hi Pamela, I don't know if this will help or not, but I live in Central Standard Time zone, so I know that I have to get my hubs published before 2pm my time.  In Eastern Standard time, it would be by 3pm.  Not sure where you are, but I recall trying to figure this out.  Its tricky sometimes.

1. Pamela99 profile image89
        Pamela99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know in my head that the day starts at  for these hubs but last week especially I was running back and forth to the hospital as my mother was very ill and I think I just forgot at least once. I was still writing a hub a day as that was the best I could do time wise but it is frustrating when you work hard then screw up1  Thanks for helping.

5. Jason Menayan profile image61

Hey guys,

We'll have to see when we run the reports to see if your Hubs were included and, if selected, they were on the right topic. I hope they are! smile

6. Simone Smith profile image86
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

...aaaand the reports have been run! 

Phoenix V is Day 26's winner (the theme being East Asian food) with his piece on Korean Cuisine.

Congrats to you Phoenix V- and congrats to the world's meat eaters- YOU get to enjoy the delicious kalbi described in his Hub.  I'll just go off to one corner and munch on kimchi.

Congratulations Phoenix V, way to go!

2. travelespresso profile image70
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

FYI - I wanted to read the hub but I just tried to click on this link but it says the page doesn't exist.  It shows up some older hubs.

1. Simone Smith profile image86
        Simone Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ah so! Yeah, I mistyped the link. Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out.

3. queen cleopatra profile image86

Belated congratulations, Phoenix V! Kimchi is so hot but I love the fibers in it. Soo healthy, in my humble opinion. smile

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Way to go, Phoenix!!

Congrats to Pearldiver who won Day 27's Daily Drawing with a Hub on cooking lamb cutlets East African-style!

Though habee and alexandriaruthk shared 3 additional entries via the Daily Puzzle, luck had it that pearldiver's entry one.  Or perhaps luck has a thing for lamb.  Mmm.

1. travelespresso profile image70
        travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WTG PD!  Yummmm these sure look great!  Congratulations.

Hi Pearldiver! Thank you for sharing the perfect way to cook lamb meat. Belated congratulations smile

2. Pearldiver profile image67
      Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Wow.... Thank You.. that's awesome and it's a really good Bah recipe too hmm

The very best techniques for cooking famous spiced lamb cutlets and couscous: East African style.

Hi Pearl, I wanted to congratulate you here too.  Way to go, those dishes look so yummy

3. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Congrats, Pearl!

4. angel115707 profile image61
      angel115707posted 13 years ago

You think there's a chance of us winning any if we are fairly new? I have been here 3 months, but being a full time student and single mother, I am pretty slow at hubbing.... I do not get many views, I am learning and reading from you guys though, and getting there!

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You will only win from a random draw if you have actually got an entry in it and randomly you are lucky enough to have that entry pulled out of the hat.

Write and submit at your own level, based on what else you are doing in your life. Good luck.

@ Thanks everyone and Habee. smile

2. Jason Menayan profile image61
        Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can, but you'll have to be quick!

Today's topic on Fusion or Creole cuisine is the last day of the contest. You have only about 17 hours to get your submissions published before the contest closes.

1. angel115707 profile image61
          angel115707posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I already submitted it, my father and I cooked  the gumbo in advance, but I got a feeling that if you don't have a big following yet you don't have as much of a chance on the voting part...sad I did not seem to find any one else that did real creole from S. Louisiana which is the heart of it...ah well...I suppose It just takes time...smile

1. AEvans profile image72
            AEvansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I did, it was a family recipe but there are so many different versions of Gumbo I believe everyone has there own niche' of what they like. I will have to check out your Gumbo version smile

Hi angel115707 smile We're on the same boat. In the early months after I joined HubPages, I was not able to visit here often. But I never forgotten the place. It's like a home for my weary soul after every long travel. Oftentimes, a hub took months to complete. When I decided to join the Hubbalicious contest, I never expected that I'd be able to finish an entry and publish it within the time frame. Due to time constraint caused by a busy, busy life, almost all of my hubs were published at about 5 to 10 minutes before the deadline. During those times, my arms would ache and my eyes were dry but my heart was pumping hard with happiness and a deep sense of achievement. Yes, you're on the right track when you say 'it just takes time...' Thank your for the gumbo recipe smile I'll be serving it to my family one of these nights wink

5. matagas profile image58
      matagasposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the information

6. profile image0
      Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

I cannot believe it is coming to a close already.
      What a great month!

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know! I've felt lost all day. I kept thinking,"I need to be working on a cooking hub."

Oh, for the love of food- don't stop writing those!!!  Think of... the children!!

I know how that feels, Ms. Habee smile Even in my dreams, I see food, food, food! Omg, this Hubbalicious contest is a diet murderer big_smile

7. Simone Smith profile image86

Ah- why, oh WHY do such wonderful things have to come to an END???? 

Today was today's last Daily Drawing, and it is with bittersweet happiness that I announce the winner: Money Glitch, who was selected via her Hub on Tex Mex Fusion.

Hurrah for Money Glitch and Tex Mex!!

Twenty One Days- I can't believe it's coming to a close either!  It was a great month indeed.  Congrats again on your Daily Puzzle win yesterday.

1. Money Glitch profile image63
        Money Glitchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Woo Hoo! What a neat surprise!

I just read your e-mail and rushed over. big_smile
        Thanks, Simone and the rest of HP Staff. smile big_smile

1. profile image0
          Twenty One Daysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats, MG! -James.

2. Pearldiver profile image67

Congratualations MG.  Good Karma from yesterday smile

2. profile image0

Thank you Simone. I am really very thankful to HubStaff for having this contest -not just to fine tune my culinary narcissism- but because it was just plain fun, peeling back the layers and reading other peoples vision of food too.

PS, brilliant idea- the children's cookbook- would be awesome.

It's better late than never -- Congratulations to both Money Glitch and Tex Mex!!!

8. akirchner profile image91
      akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Congrats to Money Glitch on the win!

Thanks akirchner, I appreciate it.  Wow, I needed a surprise today. smile

9. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

congrats, MoneyG!!

Thanks, Habee, woo hoo! big_smile

10. rmcrayne profile image90
      rmcrayneposted 13 years ago

Jason or Simone,  Could you please post stats for daily hub submissions for each day for week 4?  I only saw stats for Tues, Day 22 (16 hubs submitted) and Friday, Day 25 (20 hubs submitted). 

Win or lose, I can put on my resume that my hub was a top ten pick out of X articles submitted. 

Thanks.

1. Pearldiver profile image67

Why are you worrying about such things?
        You just get them to ring me..
        And I'll tell them how good you are! smile

1. rmcrayne profile image90
          rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pearl, I don't really know you, so I'll try not to make assumptions, good or bad.  hmm

I'm not worried.  This is the kind of thing I collect for my "portfolio".  Academic pursuits, writing; these things are my competitive sports, so to speak.

I had a great interview today.  They want me badly.  But should things go rocky, I'll keep your generous offer in mind.  big_smile

Congrats on the good interview!  I'm rather excited for you.
            I've posted the stats below.  Hope they help!

11. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

RM, congrats on your interview! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

12. Pamela99 profile image89
      Pamela99posted 13 years ago

Congrats Money Glitch!  That is a great hub anyway.

Rmcrayne,  Good luck with your endeavors.

13. Loren's Gem profile image68
      Loren's Gemposted 13 years ago

Hubbalicious Contest is over... oh what a month! The time passes by so fast yet I really enjoyed writing food hubs and the contest really motivated me to do that despite of my very limited time. I wish I had plenty of free time though, to sit down in front of my pc and write more. But for sure I will continue to go on writing hubs about food and maybe about travel (in the following months for July will be a hectic month for me in Turkey). 

I really had a great time this month - educating myself to different kinds of food - local and world cuisine as well as meeting lots of great writers here in HP!

Keep up the good work everyone! Görüşürüz!:-)

14. soni2006 profile image77
      soni2006posted 13 years ago

Okay, the Hubbalicious contest is over. Now who will be The Grand Prize Winner 1000 dollars wow - any guesses

From among the Best Hub Winners: one $1,000 winner (chosen by judges)

The eligible best hub winners are:

1. Paige Masters for Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Blue Cheese.

2. Om Paramapoonya for The Art of Poaching Fish.

3. Peggy W for Old Timey Sweet Recipes from the Past.

4. ?????

15. Whitney05 profile image84
      Whitney05posted 13 years ago

How many people participated in the contest? How many people participated in the last contest? Not the hub number, but the people.

What a question!! That required thinking.  And processing.  But I am your faithful servant and I HAZ ANSWERS:

The Healthful Hubs contest had 338 unique participants, while Eat, Drink, & Be Hubbalicious contest had 261. 

That said, HHH had 1110 total Hubs, while EDBH yielded a total of 1501 Hubs, so there were a couple fewer participants this time around, but more Hubs! 

Interesante!

1. Whitney05 profile image84
          Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very cool. Hopefully all the hubs were quality ones that will bring the site good traffic.

2. Randy Godwin profile image62
          Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Could you tell us how many men and women participated in each contest?

GYAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!

2. Maddie Ruud profile image72
            Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There's no way of knowing.  We don't have people check a male/female box upon signup.  Besides.  Gender is a construct.  *Ducks and covers, in anticipation of the crapstorm*

1. Randy Godwin profile image62

I wasn't serious about the question!  LOL!  Just figured I'd disrupt your smooth schedule by making you wonder why I asked that particular question.  Did it work?  Any discussions?  HA!

16. Simone Smith profile image86

And here they are, The Week 4 Submission Stats!!!

Day 22: 16 Submissions
      Day 23: 32 Submissions
      Day 24: 17 Submissions
      Day 25: 20 Submissions
      Day 26: 16 Submissions
      Day 27: 26 Submissions
      Day 28: 15 Submissions

There you have it, folks!!

I hope you had as much fun writing those hubs as I did reading them!  I'm sure they shall continue to delight foodies for months and years to come.

17. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

This was my first HP contest, and I loved it! Food and history are both right up my alley, so I found the last week's hub topics fascinating. I became totally immersed in writing a hub! I've also enjoyed reading all the great food hubs!

18. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

good luck to everyone, the hubs I've read are amazing, so diverse and appealing. makes me want to start cooking creole, fish and chips, rice cakes, honduras breakfasts... great work everyone!!
      wish I could have joined in this time, too many things going on.
      I just voted for week 4.

I'm sure the finalists all have their fingers crossed. smile

19. RedElf profile image90
      RedElfposted 13 years ago

Congratulations, MG, that was one great hub! ...and best of luck Rose Mary! I'm sure you'll do well whatever the outcome!

And a BIG
      http://www.sevenoaksart.co.uk/images/congratstext.gif
      to everyone who participated!

20. rmcrayne profile image90

Thanks for your support and well-wishes Money, Holle, Pamela, and Simone (and anyone I may have missed).

Yep, I must return to work, at least part-time, to support my writing habit.  hmm  Looks like I will be going back to pediatric therapy, for a peds home health organization.  They are hoping to branch out into out-patient, including adults, in the Fall, and I will be their hand therapist.  They also want me to do some editing for their webpage stuff, some staff education, and maybe some peer review.

21. Simone Smith profile image86

Happy July everyone!!!

I'm happy to announce the winners of this week's People's Choice and Best Hub contests:

Queen Cleopatra is the People's Choice winner for Philippine Cuisine – Filipino Dishes for Everyday and Special Occasions. a wonderful little compendium of Filipino fare

And habee's epic piece (a fully comprehensive guide with enough information to fill an entire book!) titled The Cuisine of the Creole Gullahs, won Best Hub!

Congratulations to queen cleopatra and habee- your hubs are a pleasure to read!

1. queen cleopatra profile image86

Thank you, HubPages! I am proud to be a hubber. How I wish I could spend all my time in this wonderful and warm place. This is the first community that I joined ever since I discovered the Internet and I know I'd never leave here. I'll keep on coming back again and again to soak my mind in the growing ocean of useful, colorful, and helpful hubs. There's no place like home, there's no place like HubPages. I am glad to be one of its beautiful people. Winning the People's Choice award twice is like receiving my college diploma. Thank you once again for giving me that enormous happiness! smile

22. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks a million, Simone! Please read the email I sent via Jason!

1. profile image0

hands down, Habee, I knew you had a shoe in. Great Hub and many congrats on another win. -James.

Belated congratulations again, Ms Habee! I think we look good together. Hope the thought is mutual big_smile

23. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Awwww, thanks so much, James! It really was a labor of love!

1. charanjeet kaur profile image60
        charanjeet kaurposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Habee you are on a roll. This would jump start the vacation you have planned. Cant wait to know if the grand prize winner would be declared to be Habee. *Keeps my fingers crossed- Will plan a celebration party here*

24. soni2006 profile image77

Congratulations Habee.

But who is the grand prize winner??

1. rmcrayne profile image90
        rmcrayneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To be announced tomorrow afternoon.  My money's on habee wink

25. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks, soni!

1. soni2006 profile image77
        soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I also think you will win the grand prize. Best of luck habee.

26. anne.moss profile image61
      anne.mossposted 13 years ago

That was fun! My first HP contest ever. I really like hubmobs and contests - they inspire me to create new hubs and do it on time too.

1. soni2006 profile image77
        soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes Anne, I agree. Hub contests make us more systematic and disciplined. We work on our hubs on a routine basis and this helps in increasing the quality of content and at the end generating constant flow of income for us.

27. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Oh, HP pals, I really appreciate your support, but you're getting my hopes built up!

28. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 13 years ago

Congrats Queen Cleopatra and Habee. smile

1. queen cleopatra profile image86

Thank you, emievil! You look so sweet smile

29. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Emi!

30. blue parrot profile image61
      blue parrotposted 13 years ago

Well, imagine, that "eat, drink and be" is part of great Isiaiah's famous verse, and it probably better not to know how it goes on.

Yet, to parody the idea, I'd arrange a cooking contest on
      "To be or not to be .....  hubbacious".

31. Jason Menayan profile image61

This will be a relatively short post from me since I'm trying to type on my phone. smile

The votes from all five judges are in and the grand prize winner is:

habee!

Congratulations!

More details tomorrow when I'm in front of a computer....

32. lakeerieartists profile image62
      lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Well deserved.

33. rmcrayne profile image90

Woooo Hooooo Holle!!  I knew within about 2 minutes of starting (to read) your hub that you would take the prize.  It certainly fortifies my confidence in the judging process.  Well done Holle, and totally deserved.

34. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Guys, am I reading this right?? Did I win the $1,000??

1. profile image0
        Om Paramapoonyaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes! Congrats!!!! smile

2. profile image0

See, I told ya. tongue
        Congrats, habee!

35. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks so much, Om!!

36. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

congrats Holle!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ep6QShy6qes/SYW5fwn9EBI/AAAAAAAAAC8/1uY8EqCMNTg/s320/congrates.gif

37. Simone Smith profile image86

Congratulations habee!!! I'm so excited for you!!!

Wow- what a contest! What a month!

38. akirchner profile image91
      akirchnerposted 13 years ago

Holle - you owe me that latte!  Congratulations chiquita!!!!

39. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

Thanks, pals! And Buckie, come to GA, and I'll buy you a whole seafood platter!

1. Randy Godwin profile image62

Wow!  Can't wait to see what I get!  After all, I'm responsible for getting you away from Helium and into HP!  LOL! 

Now maybe you'll believe me when I tell you I'm always right!

Congrats!

40. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 13 years ago

Congrats Habee! where's the party? smile

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

At Gator Tales, tomorrow night!

41. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 13 years ago

RD, I'm still trying to decide on your "reward"! Maybe the seafood buffet at Gator Tales in Tifton tomorrow (Saturday) night? That is, if the baby is doing okay. Steve and Sandy are going, too.

42. soni2006 profile image77

Congrats Habee. See I was right when I took your name for the grand prize winner. I voted you too a few times in the contest. Best wishes.

43. prettydarkhorse profile image55
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Congrats habee, I wish am near there, and I also wish am one of your grandchildren (too old hehe)!

To all the other winners too in daily, weekly, Congratulations, its been a good productive month. The odds of winning alone for more than a thousand hubs produced and to be a winner, whether in daily or weekly is great!

Thanks Jason and Simone. HP rock!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)