jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

What's a permalink?

1. vietnamese profile image78
    vietnameseposted 8 years ago

I know the other two, but still don't know what's a permalink! I am afraid that if I click on it, it'll bite me! I can't afford it biting my fingers.... need that to write more hubs....heheheehhee

2. LondonDuchess profile image60
    LondonDuchessposted 8 years ago

I wondered why I was frightened about clicking on things. It all makes perfect sense now.

Shame I am still frightened .... wink

Viv

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

It's a link that will take you directly to that post.  When you're reading that post already, it won't really do anything if you click it.  However, it can be useful if you want to reference the post from somewhere else, by a link.

1. vietnamese profile image78
      vietnameseposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Paul! That what I thought it was, but wasn't sure... so I have to ask

4. Peter M. Lopez profile image91
    Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago

I don't know what just happened, but I clicked "permalink" on your post, Paul, and my question got erased.

I'm not sure it's worth all this effort, but I am curious now.  So, clicking on "permalink" in a thread does what exactly (other than apparently deleting my posts)?

5. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

I'm not sure how you're question got erased.  Really all permalink does is add the reference to the particular post to the end of the link, ie. "#post35586".  What that does is take you directly to the point on the page where that post is.

For instance, if you click here you will be taken to the top of the post listing, on page two for that particular topic:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4293?page=2

and if you click here you will be taken to the middle of the same page where I replied to bloggerdollar.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4293?page=2#post35586

So, if I was reading in the forum (ala the first link), and came across a particular post I wanted to send someone a link to (or refer to in a hub or another forum post), I could click on permalink for that post and then just copy the new url from the address bar.

6. Peter M. Lopez profile image91
    Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago

Yes, thanks.  That makes sense.

working